Author Topic: Mary KEARNS Britain to Sydney- who was she??  (Read 15255 times)

Offline carnay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary KEARNS Britain to Sydney- who was she??
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 April 09 06:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie
I found the Keleher family on the Lady McNaghten, and approaching it very carefully. A Honora M Keller was married in 1866 to George Goldthorpe in Sydney, which makes her about 33 at marriage,whilst the only Julia marriage I can find is to Thomas Leahy in 1894 Sydney.she was born to Cormack and Ellen Keleher at Redfern.
For a fact one of mine- Eliza Mary Ann Keller married John William Dean in Sydney 1870.
Also my Thomas Keller was born 1827 Mallow Cork.although I'm aware this is only 3 years out to your Thomas Keleher)My Thomas children to Mary Ann were Francis Elizabeth born 1850 , married a Haron.Then Eliza  Mary Ann born 1852, Mary E born 1857,married a Yates, Not named Keller 1860 died 1860,Bridget born 1860 and died 1860, Annie Matilda born 1866 married a Hanley and John James born 1871,died 1876.
I did find the Cate Keleher born to Michael Keleher and Mary Sullivan christened 20/2/1829 Balleyvourney Cork, but can't find Mary Ann born to Michael and same woman.
I gained my info on the family through John O'Connor, Annie Matilda Hanley being his g.g grandmother .
I have been doing my fathers family for nearly 5 years and it is basically finished. Started looking into about 4 other surnames both sides of the family, but now its full on with the Glovers and Kellers.Hope you can give me further info if your dead certain of the facts.Kind Regards, Carnay

Offline carnay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 06:23 BST (UK) »
Hello again Kylie,
Today I found Matthew Kearns on the IGI Individual Record submitted by Kevin McVey  another person I had contact with a couple or so years ago.Matthew born 1762 Ireland Died 24 March 1813 Sydney. Spouse Ann Farley. I also found a death of a Matthew Kearns in N.S.W.bmd's in 1820-an infant, so couldn't have been the aboves child. As you have suggested Mary Kearns was married to a Matthew would the above chap be a link, maybe the father of who our Mary Kearns had married?After contacting the Society of International Affairs re Glover Cottages, their president informed me that 2 genealogists did a big workup on the family Glover a couple of years ago, although this woman in her notes has Mary Glover as being unmarried and childless.She told me the best thing I could do was to write to the Australian Society of Genealogists which I have done giving them information about Marys marriage.I hope to hear from them soon. Regards, Carnay

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 07:21 BST (UK) »
Just to add another sup to the pot....
Marey (sic) Glover, formerly Kearns, nee Chitty, was struck by lightning and died 10 April 1834.
Thomas Glover married Eliza Papps later that same year.
Thomas & Eliza had Ellen Elizabeth Glover, 27 July, 1835. (Ellen married David Watt, 1861)
Thomas Glover died, of his own hand, 8 March, 1836.
Eliza Glover, nee Papps, then married Captain John Cooper, 30 October, 1837. (the whaler.  ;D )
Eliza & John Cooper were my G G Grandparents.
Eliza's mother, Amelia (This bit really is too complicated  ::) ) was housekeeper at "The Sailors Return" inn, where all this was taking place, and she looked after all the children.
If I could just find the exact location of "The Sailors Return" I would be happy.  :D

Some other descendants and I have a site at yuku. We used to be at MSN Groups til they closed down. Yuku isn't easy to navigate so we haven't really committed as much info there as we had before.
We have a lot of info about the Cooper family and Papps family but not much about the Glover side.
I've just made contact with another 'cousin' who is down from the Ikin and Bullivant family, it all gets very complicated. But you can google IKIN or BULLIVANT or GLOVER and get an idea of the amount of info there is on the web.  They're all interconnected.

Leonie.

Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline carnay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Leonie,
Lovely to hear from another of the extended family. I found in the newspaper the item on a woman named Glover had been struck by lightening and wondered if she was attached to my lot.Afraid I didn't take notice of the date.
The Sailors Return pub was later renamed The Lord Nelson Hotel and it is on the corner of Kent and Argyle Streets Sydney at The Rocks. I will quote a condensed portion of what I have about it-
On the 29th June 1831 Richard Phillips obtained a liquor licence for the Shipwright Arms on the north-east corner of Kent and Argyle streets.The next year it was changed after sale, to The Sailors Return and in 1840 changed to the Quarrymans Arms.In 1841 it was sold again and became The Lord Nelson. Regards, Carnay

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 11:36 BST (UK) »
Very curious.
In fact, in 1831 there was no building there.
The original building was the home of William Wells, built 1836.
The license was granted in 1841.
What you have is the same as the information given by present Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel.
I could never reconcile the that with my memory of The Rocks and Millers Point. I kept thinking, "No, the north east corner is parkland?!?"
I later realised the address is Argyle Place.
The Cooper family lived in Adelaide Terrace, Argyle Place, as did the Wiles family who were also whaling people and related by marriage.
Everyone was related by marriage,  ::) I think they didn't have many choices back then. It was a very small community.
I have about a dozen pages open here and 4 tabs on my internet. My poor computer is actually groaning every time I go to another page.
But I'll keep all this bookmarked and when I sort it out I'll get back.
I might have to email a few cousins. I've also got GR open and trying to have a conversation with one of the Ikin connections.
I really think I'm going to have to close a few of these windows.
But I will get back here.
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline carnay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Leonie,
Yes, I have only found information of that nature about buildings via the internet. I'm sure you know heaps more than I about a lot of the issues surrounding what we are looking into. I am in my late 60's and sit just about  all day chasing up family history.Now that my dads is finished I seem to have about four sections of various parts of families I'm delving into.Although I'm wary of giving my email address out privately I do like being able to discuss and help where I can. Thank you for letting me know where you are connected.Thomas's second marriage has been a real eye opener.Take care and good hunting,Carnay

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 12:31 BST (UK) »
Carney,
if you click on the web icon, the little world under my picture, that takes you to the yuku web site.
Altho' none of our pictures are there you might find some links to the web sites we have searched.
I've decided that tomorrow I'm going to print out all the pages I have in my genealogy research that relate to the Glover family. Then I can study them without putting a strain on the computer and my brain trying to keep track of them. A lot of the info is duplicated and in different files.

Leonie.

Offline carnay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Louise,
Thanks for that, it made me laugh, the parts where ---why did we get left out of being recipients of some cash. Always happens to others, doesn't it. A couple of the Kellers houses overlooked the harbour when I was a child, imagine the prices now.I have printed off your pages on the Glovers, so that file of mine will have to be sorted next. I understand where your coming from with getting files in order. Can you imagine the amount of paper I've used in 4 years with the help of a researcher also and then travelling to England just to pursue family history on one family?? I had copies upon copies with some added to and other parts deleted then we had to reform it as a whole.Back to the early 18th century  from the present day, with numerous wills, newspaper articles (one English ancestor was an embezzler in America so about a dozen items just on that from the papers, plus countless other certificates for people. Then files on those in directories, land owners, gazettes,graveyards and war. It all grows like Pollyanna. Best wishes, Carnay

Offline carnay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Leonie,
Sorry about the last email and the slip up on your christian name. Have you got Bridget Kearns birth cert, or marriage certificate? to verify that her father was Matthew Kearns, or has Kylie got it? Someone must, to be so decisive about it.Regards, Carnay