Author Topic: Mary KEARNS Britain to Sydney- who was she??  (Read 15251 times)

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
Re: Mary KEARNS Britain to Sydney- who was she??
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 23 April 09 05:34 BST (UK) »
Still working on it.  ;D
This is the link to Kylie B's original post;
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,296023.0.html
Some of the links don't work any more but you might find something there.
Leonie
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 23 April 09 06:42 BST (UK) »
How about both you nice ladies go over to AlongTheLine and share your info. (Or have you already been there Kylie  ??? )
Even if you don't have hard facts, we can work on it.
The others and I would be very grateful.
And I might get rid if this headache.
I can't find Thomas Glover in Shipham  :'(
I found a tiny bit of Matthew Kearns stuff, but it says he died in 1821.  ???  That would sugest the reason Mary didn't marry Thomas Glover 'til that same year was because she wasn't really a widow. Just hopeful.  ;D

I recently read a book by Tom Kenneally, "A Commonwealth of Thieves" it gives so much insight of the very early days in Sydney. Unfortunately it doesn't give many names. It makes you realise tho' that all the info is out there if you have the time and energy to look for it. Plus a few clues as to where to look.
I have a tree on GenesReunited, but none of this is on there as I can't confirm. I won't put unconfirmed stuff there. That's what yuku is for, nutting it out amongst friends.  ;D
I hate it when I find sites with stuff on it that's not correct.... now I'm preaching... time for a coffee break.
Leonie.

Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 23 April 09 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Ladies
Carnay- have you checked your personal messages on here? I have sent you a direct email....

As for Bridget- according to the Pioneer Index, her father was Matthew Kearns, naval lieutenant. According to the Friendship passenger records, Mary was a widow who paid for the passage of herself and her 2 children- so she had some money.  Her marriage certificate lists no parents, and nor does her death- she lived to a ripe old age!

The Matthew Kearns of whom you speak was a convict- he was married back in the UK and so he then took on a common law wife here in Sydney- this is who he had his children with in Australia. One of those children- mary- applied to the Govener for protection after the man assigned to look after her fathers estate and support his children stopped supporting them.....Matthew Kearns was hung, along with his brother John and nephew John for murder/attempted murder.

Another Glover/Keller researcher suggested to me some time ago that it was a possability that Matthew Kearns in Australia was perhaps the father of Matthew Kearns who married Mary Chitty- and as he did so well for himself after serving his convict sentence, perhaps that was why Mary made such a journey, with 2 small children, after her husband died.....to claim an inheritance......no proof of that so far, despite my searchings.

Hope that is of some help
Kylie

Offline carnay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 23 April 09 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Leonie,
I can tell you where to find Thomas at Shipham Somerset.
www.thomasgenweb.com/hares/html
Once your on the page go down to 18th century and click on that and then put into your Edit/find box, Glover. It will take you through a few but finally Thomas and Joseph come up born 1795 to James and Rebecca Glover.Do hope you manage to see it. best wishes, Carnay

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 23 April 09 12:19 BST (UK) »
I've also got Matthew Kearns as a naval officer. Mention in Colonial Secretary papers and in reports from Matthew Flinders.
I've also read the other story but for some reason I thought it wasn't plausable. Can't remember why, maybe the dates didn't fit....

Carnay, that link is dead.  :(  I'll try cutting and pasting to the address bar and see how it goes.

Leonie.

Added; got it  ;D needed to chop the /html off the end.

Offline carnay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 23 April 09 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Leonie,
Have you tried just putting the Hares Family of Shipham Somerset England into your browser. It might all depend where you are.I'm in Oz and get it very easily. I'm really sorry if you can't get it as there are a wealth of details about the area besides countless bmds of people who lived there.
I have had private contact with Kylie and we now know how we are both descendents in the Keller line. Quite exciting. good luck Leonie, if I find out anything at all I will let you know. cheers, Carnay

Offline carnay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 23 April 09 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Leonie,
Wish I could learn to read the whole message instead of speed reading and missing portion.So happy you are able to have a look at that site. Carnay

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 23 April 09 13:00 BST (UK) »
I found what I was looking for.  ;D

But we still need to find Mary.

Tomorrow.

Offline carnay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 23 April 09 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Leonie and Kylie,
I have now had contact through Society of   Australian Genealogists with a person who has done indepth research on the Glover/Keller families. I have now asked if they might have any information on Mary Kearns birth and first marriage. As soon as I receive a reply I shall post it. Keep your fingers crossed. Carnay