Author Topic: Mary KEARNS Britain to Sydney- who was she??  (Read 15250 times)

Offline carnay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary KEARNS Britain to Sydney- who was she??
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 April 09 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
I saw the item in the Colonial Secretarys pages with Joseph Chitty. I do not have access to the 1828 N.S.W. census. Although what I saw there were no names spelt like that.The closest I can find is a John Gloves who married Ellen Chitty in 1851 at St.Marys Catholic Church in Sydney. Looks like a dead end otherwise for Chitty and Glover. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 April 09 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

1828 NSW census searching of ancestry site, no one with surname CHITTY found on my subscription search today.   Have you considered searching for that name at say the UK archives online site?  I will keep trying to find that Chitty surname on other NSW archive sites and will post any finds here for you.

Cheers all,  MA
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 April 09 08:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie,

Do you have a possible birth year for Mary (Chitty) perhaps from calculating her age at death? I know that those Early C. R. death documents can be ummm, light on, with info, but if there is a clue, it may help,

Cheers,  MA
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 05:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Ladies,

The 1828 census of NSW lists Mary Glover nee Kearns with Thomas- her daughter Bridget is also with them.

The 2 children who arrived with Mary were named Kearns- which was her married name, Chitty was her maiden name.

Not sure wht became of one of the children, but the other was Bridget Kearns- she went on to marry James Pashley- who worked for and with Thomas Glover in the building of the Glover Cottages in Sydney.  THey also cared for the 4 Glover children as after Thomas;s death, his second wife also re-married (to a whaler) and left with her daughter. She did not take the Glover children with her and so Bridget and James looked after them.

According to her age at death, Mary Kearns nee Chitty must have been bornd 1796. I do not know where she was born.

Mary Ann- daughter of Mary Kearns and Thomas GLover- married Thomas Keller. They were married twice- once in the Scots church, and again in the Catholic church- no doubt to appease Thomas's parents.  Thomas was from Mallow, County Cork in Ireland. He arrived aboard the 'Lady McNAghtan' in 1838 with his parents - Michael and Elizabeth, and siblings, William, John, Julia, Honora, David and baby Elizabeth who died on the voyage. Honora died in 1839.

Michael had been married before, and 2 of his children from his first marriage (to Mary Sullivan) arrived the year before him aboard the Duchess of Northumberland- Mary Ann and Catherine.  There was also a son of that first marriage - Michael who arrived under the Bounty scheme with his wife and child in 1844.

Is anyone able to ckeck out the Colonial Secretary's papers reference to Joseph Chitty in 1818, or the one to MC Kearns aboard the Friendship in 1818??????

Hope this info has been of some help Carnay!
Kylie B

Offline carnay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie,
Sorry you have it incorrect where Thomas is concerned. Thomas was sentenced in Somerset England on the 31st March 1814. He was transported on the "Indefatigable" late 1814. The ships master was Matthew Bowles.Over 200 male prisoners were onboard. He was a miner in England but became a stonemason in Australia where he built the Glover Cottages in Kent street which are still standing and have a green plaque bearing his name and his family. He also was a publican at the pub the Sailors Return.
Mary Ann his daughter married my grandfathers great grandfather who was a Catholic-this is where the two registration numbers probably derive from, although I would suggest that as Mary Kearns was Irish she could have been Catholic herself as she and Thomas Glover have both Catholic and Protestant registration numbers.
I have been looking into the N.S.W. newspapers and there was a Thomas Glover also in Cumberland Street Sydney around the same time as my Thomas,who got up to a few things, but he seems to have been married to a woman with the christian name of Elizabeth
I had contact with a chap here in Oz a few years ago who had researched the Glover name extensively as he had an ancestor attached to the family. Various sites over here seem to make his workup authentic.
 Regards, carnay

Offline carnay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 03:00 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
Correction about Thomas Glover-He was the Thomas living in Cumberland Street down the Millers Point end.It would appear he was a heavy drinker and cut his own throat with a razorblade when he was having delusions under the affects of alcohol.The newspaper has quite a graphic account.In another story on him it would appear he also had a violent temper.
Mary Kearns daughter Bridget was born Ireland in 1811 when Mary Kearns would have been aproximately 18 years of age as she was born 1793.
Bridget had at least 9 children to James Pashley.James was christened Eastrington Yorkshire in 1808 to James and Ann.He also had a brother christened the same day by name of Joseph, of which there are a few accounts in the newspapers relating mainly to land.Joseph lived Cumberland Street Sydney and James also had land in that street. I believe Joseph was a tailor. Regards, Carnay

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 April 09 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Carnay,
I think there are some crossed wires happening here- the information I gave here was about THomas KELLER...not Thomas GLover??!!

I have quite a bit of info on THomas GLover and his family back in the UK- they originated around a little village called SHipham in Somerset. Thomas was convicted of poaching and transported. The rest of his family remained in the area- where he had worked as a miner, as did many of his relatives.  His second marriage, after the death of Mary Kearns, was to an Eliza Papps.

Thanks for the info on James Pashley- I have not got around to checking him out- do I take it that if there are newspaper entries about the brother, then the whole family emigrated out here?? or just the two brothers?

And I have the article about Thomas;s suicide/death- what is the other one you refer to??

Cheers- Kylie B

Offline carnay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 April 09 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie,
Your correct, sorry about that I was talking about Glover. By the sounds of it you also are in Oz, and we a probably related.
The other item on Thomas Glover is where he threw a maid of his wifes over a verandah railing after she presumably offended him. He thought he had killed her and took off with others in pursuit but he was only running to the gaol to report what he had done.He hadn't killed the maid-she had injuries to her head and chest but recovered okay.This was in the newspaper March 25 1834.
Hard to tell if she was the maid of Mary before her death or of Eliza after the marriage, as all three occurrences happened in 1834.Thank you for giving me the information on Glover.I couldn't work out if he was born in Kent, what he was doing in Somerset.Could you tell me who his parents were?
And thank you heaps for the info on Michael Keller-you are definitely family,aren't you.Regards, Carnay

Offline carnay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 April 09 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie,
If you are acquainted with the Keller family Edward b.1881 son of Thomas b.1854 was my grandfather. Carnay