Author Topic: Discharged for being Under-Age, WW1.  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Discharged for being Under-Age, WW1.
« on: Friday 23 January 09 19:47 GMT (UK) »
I have recently obtained some info on my late Uncle, from the National Archives.

It would appear that he 'bumped' his age up by 3yrs to join up when he was 15, - but was found out!

I wonder if anyone on here can explain these entries for me? (By which I mean what Battalion does this signify, etc?).

WALES Z/2065.

22.10.15. Attached to 6th Battn. 6/C/506. or 502.
11.3.16. Discharged from C.P.being ‘Under Age’.
14.3.16. Dischd. List. No.194.

Later in WW1 he became an Observer Officer in the RFC, - & so this deception can't have been held against him!

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline pammyw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Discharged for being Under-Age, WW1.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 January 09 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romilly
What was your gt uncle's name?
Pam
Mackenzie, Smith, Oxley all Northumberland. Masters Glos. Wilkins Berks. Vowles Bristol. Griffiths Forest of Dean.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 January 09 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pam,

He was Wilson, G.F.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline pammyw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 January 09 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romilly
Do you have a first name for him? I was going to look on his medal card for more info. I have come across a couple of men in the Northumberland Fusiliers who were under age and they were returned to base until they were old enough to serve abroad. Your gt uncle would have been sent home I should think being 3 years under.
But there is a chance that his previous regiment would be on his medal card.
Pam
Mackenzie, Smith, Oxley all Northumberland. Masters Glos. Wilkins Berks. Vowles Bristol. Griffiths Forest of Dean.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 January 09 08:17 GMT (UK) »
I have recently obtained some info on my late Uncle, from the National Archives.

Hi Romilly

Is this from his service papers, taken from the microfilm in Kew? If so they have not been put on Ancestry yet - they are only up to the Ns. Can you post a scan?

He was in the 6th Battalion of an infantry regiment. It will say on the papers - at least twice on the first page, and in one of the columns on page 3.

I suspect the RFC/RAF is not mentioned on these papers. In which case there will be - once anyway - a second set covering his later period of service. The second set should refer to the first set, if he answered the question about any previous service truthfully. A lot of men lied as they thought it might affect being accepted the second time. In fact it was a throwback to the 19th Century when they were trying to spot deserters who have taken a bounty and run.

Ken

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 January 09 08:34 GMT (UK) »

Hi Pam & Ken,

And thank you for your interest.

My Uncle's full name was George Felix Wilson, DOB 19/2/1900.

The Record details were downloaded from The National Archives Site, via the on-line Catalogue, REF:
ADM/339/1 Image Reference: 57414.

I can't post the download here because of Copyright, but it just consists of two index cards, one with his DOB, next of kin & address, details of height & colouring, - that he can swim(!) & Occupation, (Grammar School Boy). The other card has the Battalion details & numbers that I've posted.

I'm guessing that the rest of his records, (relating to the RFC) will be at Kew on microfiche, in AIR76, but I haven't found them yet. I wonder if he would have retained the same Service Number, Wales Z/2065?
Romilly.
Researching:

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 January 09 09:41 GMT (UK) »
ADM 339 covers men in the Royal Navy Division, not the army. Here is a link on the NA website - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/royalnavaldivision.asp

He would have a new number in the RFC.

Regarding medal index cards, you will not find one for his RND service - Ancestry do not have them, and he is not listed in the NA. This is to be expected as he did not leave the UK while in the RND.

Did he enlisted in the RND 16.9.1914? There is a George Wilson with an MIC who transferred to the RFC on 18 May 1917, who enlisted then in a unit that is not given?

Ken

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 January 09 09:51 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for the info Ken,

I must admit that I wondered why the Army would be asking if men could swim ;D (Doh!:-)

This would actually make more sense, as all three of George's elder brothers, William Havelock, Evan Douglas & Ernest Rencella Wilson were all in the RNR during WW1.

I had thought that members of the RFC were recruited from the Army, but perhaps the RND too?

I don't think that George Felix Wilson would have joined up in 1914, because he would only have been 14yrs then...& I'm pretty certain that he must have stayed on at Swansea Grammar School, because he later trained as an Architect.

Possibly the RND 'kept him on their books' & called him up when he came of age?

Sorry to be dense, - but what is an MIC?

Cheers, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 January 09 09:59 GMT (UK) »
The man who enlisted in 1914 was only a Class 2 Air Mechanic. I found this on the London Gazeette - http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/issues/30887/pages/10554

You need a RFC/RAF expert. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/airforce/step5.htm

He may not have gone overseas, and therefore did not earn any WW1 medals.

Ken