Author Topic: Home Children:Brookes/Brooks  (Read 15431 times)

Offline Miss Trees

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Home Cildren:Three Brookes boys (1905)
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 29 January 09 07:57 GMT (UK) »

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Home Cildren:Three Brookes boys (1905)
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 29 January 09 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Good job on finding George...I was still looking for Ernest yesterday... he was so young when he came. They had no business putting these children that were that young into homes as workers...That "constable" he was with was in his late sixties.
I guess the b. 1905 birth threw me off in my earlier searches as there were lots of Brooks/Brookes home children. It clearly says 18?5, (age 16) and so I should have looked at the image so good for you Georgina!
Still haven't found Ernest as a solid find...but he may turn up yet...
~~~~~~~
Hi, Tony!  What was the name of the child who went to Australia as I will add the name when I add this thread to the BHC resource page. I list all those I find on rootschat and refer to the pages in which they are mentioned...
By the way can you modify to change the word in the subject line to Children so that the keywording is there for when people search for Home children Brookes/Brooks
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Tony55

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Home Children: Brookes/Brooks
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 29 January 09 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Georgina,
 Thanks for that information and the links, i've so much stuff to read through now, before i posted the question i had no idea of what some of those poor children had to go through  :( i'm currently reading The Little Immigrants and some of it is very distressing.  :'(
Hi J.J.
 The name of the eldest boy was William, he was 11 on the 1901 census so would have been 15/16 at the time the others went to Canada. I would have thought he was almost old enough to make his own way in England. I've no idea whether he left around the same time as his brother's or not.
 I've altered the thread title (i hope) hope that helps.

Thanks all for your help,

Best wishes,Tony
Tranter-Birmingham.
Rennison-ERYorkshire
Felton-Newport/Bilston/Walsall
Williamson/Johnson-Middlesex/Hertfordshire

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Home Children:Brookes/Brooks
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 29 January 09 19:19 GMT (UK) »
HI Tony,

I have the same book, The Little Immigrants, have you read the story of Horace Weir and his siblings, I cry every time I read it.  They were sent from B'ham to Middlemore homes as well in Nova Scotia. 

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Tony55

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 29 January 09 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen,
  Have just read the piece about George Green and Helen Findley  :'(  i'm finding it very discomforting to read i must admit, but i'll persevere , i keep thinking of poor Ernest as i read it!  :(
  Best wishes, Tony
Tranter-Birmingham.
Rennison-ERYorkshire

Offline Miss Trees

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 30 January 09 02:11 GMT (UK) »
I've been negligent reading more books on the topic because it is so distressing and close to me, but I probably should.  :(
I'm really quite amazed that all this is not taught in school and I had no idea about any of it until much later.

My grandfather would not speak of it to his children or wife until decades after the fact and being approached about the book may finally have been the catalyst. If you happen to read Phyllis Harrison's "The Home Children", I believe his story is titled "I was told it was a lovely farm, boy what a jolt I got" (I don't have it at hand). With his first farmer he slept in a pile of straw in the barn for the first 6 months, worked 16 hours a day and had to pull raw veg from the garden to sustain himself. He received no further formal education. He was 14. I take some comfort in the fact that the farmers in the last two years of his contract  were much kinder to him with the last treating him 'like a son'.
His report from the agency in all this time is a few lines. Saying... he is doing well, healthy, giving satisfaction to his employer.... and  "unable to attend church".

What makes it most sad is he had some family back in England (all whom he never saw again, except his brother), and an uncle in Canada who said he would have adopted him, had he known at the time. But after his mother died, his father - a Naval officer - made the decision to send him off and that was that.

Offline Tony55

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 30 January 09 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Georgina,
   I, like you, had no idea of the problems these children had to endure. I was under the impression that they were placed with someone and their welfare was closely monitered. From some reports i've seen they were not watched too frequently and the reports were often just a quick comment and things were fine.
   Like your grandfather these boys still had a father and an older sister who was being brought up by grandparents, and no doubt other relatives, to be put in a home and shipped to a strange place seems a terrible thing to do, though without knowing their background in Shropshire it's hard know what they were leaving behind.
   I plan on doing a lot more reading on the subject and trying to find out what happened to them, it would be a shame for them just to pass into obscurity, i guess my Aunt must have relations somewhere in Canada/America
   Thanks for all your help and comments.

Best wishes,Tony
Tranter-Birmingham.
Rennison-ERYorkshire

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 30 January 09 20:42 GMT (UK) »
HI Tony,

They say 1 in 10 Canadians is descended from a home child, but since it was such a stigma, alot don't know about it  :( 

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Tony55

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 30 January 09 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Karen  :)

I've just looked Canada up on Wikipedia and they state a population of 33,537,000 , so that makes an estimated 3,5 million people that were from home children who would most likely have relatives over here  :o  and i would guess that most, like myself until a few weeks ago, would know nothing about them.
  It seems a very sorry state of affairs that the records that could reunite distant relatives are so hard to access! 
  I hope freedom of information and a greater awareness of their history helps many familys make a connection in the future.

Best wishes, Tony
Tranter-Birmingham.
Rennison-ERYorkshire