Author Topic: Home Children:Brookes/Brooks  (Read 15432 times)

Offline Tony55

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Home Children:Brookes/Brooks
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 22 February 09 21:48 GMT (UK) »
    Just thought i'd post an update which may be of use to other searchers of Middlemore children.
    Firstly i've not as yet received a reply to an email i sent several weeks ago so have been in touch with the Middlemore organisation which still operates at Weoley Castle in South Birmingham. I've been informed by them that all their archives have been handed over to The Birmingham Archives at the Central Library. We wrote to the library just over a week ago and yesterday received a reply stating that if we can supply details of the boys birthdates and destination country they will do a search through the records and inform us of what they hold and we will be able to view them!  ;D  There was no mention of any fees though i guess if we want copies there will be a charge.
   Thanks to the information received on here i'm sure we have enough for them to do a search so i'll post any results when we receive them,

Best wishes,Tony
Tranter-Birmingham.
Rennison-ERYorkshire
Felton-Newport/Bilston/Walsall
Williamson/Johnson-Middlesex/Hertfordshire

Offline Miss Trees

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 03:54 GMT (UK) »

Good job Tony, I look forward to hearing the news when it arrives.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for giving us an update Tony!  Looking forward to hearing how you make out.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Tony55

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 18:50 GMT (UK) »

to be put in a home and shipped to a strange place seems a terrible thing to do, though without knowing their background in Shropshire it's hard know what they were leaving behind.

Well at long last i've managed to answer the above...visited the Birmingham Archives today for the first time and would just like to say how helpful and plesent the staff there are  :)
 All of the Middlemore records are catalogued (but are to be re-catalogued shortly) and the records vary greatly according to the familys predicament.
 I first looked through the Case Book which is a large cloth bound book that lists the names of the people involved (children/parents) date of admittance and destination/departure date to foreign lands.
 Next i looked through the Admittance Book which is a very heavy thick leather bound volume that covered "males" between approx 1903 and 1919. everything is in date and case number order so it's easy to work through.
 I'll write below what the entry consisted of so anyone else looking for Middlemore information will get an idea of what they may find (though compared to some of the cases i looked at it was quite short, some contained newspaper clippings concerning court cases where the parents were jailed for cruelty, in one case a mother of two young girls who got 6 months hard labour)  :o

"very ragged and dirty, quite the street arabs, body and heads very verminous.

legitimate. yes

Mother dead, father a drunken,lazy,dirty fellow...he has been sent to prison 3 times for cruelty to his boys. the house is in a most filthy state and alive with vermin. boys are in the habit of begging their food and staying out very late at night. no furniture or bedding in the house, they sleep on filthy rags"

the above copied from W.E.B.Kersley's letter of 22nd Sept 04

reccomended and bought here by W.E.B.Kersley......Accepted.

PC Missionary, Shrewsbury.

apart from the boys and fathers names that is the complete entry.

as saddened as i was to find out some of the hardships the children suffered on reaching Canada it's certainly helped to put it into perspective knowing what they left behind !
 all i have to do now is read through the individual case notes on my next visit and get the full picture of their final months in England and comments on their record in Canada.

:)Would just like to thank once again all those that helped me get this far (i wouldn't have had a clue)  and although i don't want to make it a general offer at this time because my visiting time is limited, if anyone has someone from Middlemore they would like looking for and have their name and year of entry i'll do my best to find any entries there may be for them.

thanks for your interest

best wishes,Tony

Tranter-Birmingham.
Rennison-ERYorkshire
Felton-Newport/Bilston/Walsall
Williamson/Johnson-Middlesex/Hertfordshire

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tony....as hard as it was to write the truth, it is appreciated...there are many who believe that all these children were taken from home & country to become drudges in Canadian households, and while many did take advantage of & mistreat the poor wee ones, there were many with good hearts who took them in as family. Also with a bkgd of no parenting, such as in the case above ...it must have been hard on all involved to cope with it all.    all the best,  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Miss Trees

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 21 December 09 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tony,

I'm glad you were able to find out more and that the Middlemore records still exist!

Offline Robin_johnson73

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 17 March 18 13:02 GMT (UK) »
I think Earnest may be my great grandfather

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 18 March 18 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Robin_johnson73 The poster Tony55 has not been active on here for a couple of years. I will private message him that there is an answer to his post in case his notification has been turned off which can happen when there is a major overload on this site. No guarantee his email still works but worth a try!
Noting that he never gave more information on the family back in England, and was surprised to see that the Rootschat database on the children does not refer back to this thread.

For those searching from Canada though, here is a start...
Marriages March quarter 1888  Wem district   vol. 6a   p. 938
Thomas BROOKES & Emily Franks

I believe this must be the family on the 1901 census... 
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XSQH-V61

It appears that George & Thomas found each other - living together in the 1921 census
http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?app=Census1921&op=img&id=e002903241

BROOKES, Mart 1888   June Quarter  WEM district  Vol  6A  p. 726
BROOKES, William 1889  June Quarter NANTWICH district  Vol 8A  p. 394
BROOKES, Thomas - not sure which birth reg. is his https://www.freebmd.org.uk
BROOKES, George  1894  Dec Quarter  WEM district  Vol  6A  p. 666
ERNEST  BROOKES   1897  Sept. Quarter ATCHAM district  Vol  6A  p. 642
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 18 March 18 07:22 GMT (UK) »
There is now a death which looks more to be Ernest's, 1858 ...Mrs' Thomas Brooks, Sister in Law signed off on the cert.....Date of birth Nov 4th 1897, born England, father Thomas.
https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/ItemView.aspx?ImageFile=1958-5351&Event=death&ID=414697

Unfortunately he was single... so not your Ernest Robin_johnson73

adding, just found death for George, still using middle name of Henry, it is he as although date of birth differs, and still states wales, the parents are named perfectly. His wife is Mary
https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/ItemView.aspx?ImageFile=1962-1088&Event=death&ID=435277
Buried at United Baptist Church cemetery