Author Topic: Married Twice?  (Read 5621 times)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Married Twice?
« on: Sunday 25 January 09 15:50 GMT (UK) »
My 6xG grandparents William NICOL and Rebekah TAYLOR appear to have married twice.
The first time 14 Apr 1786 in Glenbervie - Rebekah's birth parish.
Then 23 Apr 1786 in Arbuthnott - William's birth parish.
Would this have been likely? Is there a reason this may have happened?
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Married Twice?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 January 09 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kia

The first  - or both - entry/ies  is probably a proclamation of Banns. These were read 2 or 3 times in both the bride's and groom's parish before the marriage.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 January 09 16:06 GMT (UK) »
When a couple came from 2 parishes the banns were called in both.  If you look at the images on SP it may indicate in which parish the actual marriage took place - but not always. I tend to assume that the marriage probably took place in the bride's parish. The fact that the later date is referenced on William's birth parish does not necessarily indicate that is where the marriage took place.

I have an example I downloaded recently. When I find it - I will post the detail

Trish

Edit: gadget types faster than myself  ;D

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 January 09 16:11 GMT (UK) »
This is my example - hope it helps

Donald Johnstone married Mary Mackenzie 5 Apr 1816 Killearnan, Ross and Cromarty
Donald Johnstone married Janet Mackenzie 12 mar 1816 Petty, Inverness

Image from Ross and Cromarty reads
Donald Johnstone in this parish and Janet Mackenzie in the parish of Petty were matrimonially contracted 12th March and married 5th April 1816.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 January 09 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Did a bit more digging...
On SP I can only find the April 14th (Glenbervie) entry.
That reads
April 14th William Nicol in parish of Arbuthnott and Rebecca Taylor in this parish were contracted
But both entries on the IGI are extracted.

Edit: wait just re-read the replies, so "contracted" means the banns and not the actual marriage? In which case I can only find the banns, must dig more.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 January 09 21:09 GMT (UK) »

The Arbuthnott one is down as Willm Nicol - it is there.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 January 09 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Will someone please slap me with the wild card stick ::) thus I may not forget to use them in future.

Only now, I've got the second one I still haven't got a marriage  :o

Artbuthnott entry reads
This and the preceeding sabbath Willm Nicol in this parish and Rebekah Taylor in parish of Glenbervie were proclaimed in order to be married 1mo 2ndo 3tio

Does anyone know what the 1mo 2ndo 3tio mean please? It seems to follow each entry on the page.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 January 09 22:01 GMT (UK) »
In Scotland, you will often only find proclamations (which is similar to the reading of the banns)recorded in the parishes of the bride and groom.  You may not find a record of the marriage.  Also in Scotland it was possible to marry without a church service - all that was required were public promises or even just referring to the partner as one's spouse.

1mo 2ndo 3tio = primo (first), secundo (second) and tertio (third)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 January 09 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Ah OK the marriages without the church service - just got there on another thread, different couple.
Why would the person entering the register write 1mo 2ndo 3tio after the entry, woud that refer to the number of times the banns were read as in that was the 3rd time?
Although all of them on the page have the same