Author Topic: Matthew Ferguson of Newtown Limavady (Irish Stray)  (Read 15802 times)

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Ferguson of Newtown Limavady (Irish Stray)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 April 10 21:04 BST (UK) »
I found a Windefor Ferguson quite by accident when looking up another name in
the Ordnance Survey Memoirs for Limavady!

OS Memoirs Drumachose [Limavady], 1833-5
Productive economy [pages 115-116]
Informant - Windofer Fergusson, architect, 4 July 1835

Cost of buiding materials in Limavady [pages 117-118]
Informant - Windofir Fergusson

Offline ColinUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 April 10 01:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jagray,
Mathew son of Winderford FERGUSON and Ellen MCGHAN chr 18 May 1828, Limavady, Drumachose Christ Church. Do you think this is the same Mathew who appears in the 1881 census of Hammond, Kings, New Brunswick?
Mathew FERGUSON   M   Male   Irish   45   New Brunswick   Farmer   Baptist 
Annie FERGUSON   M   Female   Scottish   34   New Brunswick      Baptist 
Earnest FERGUSON      Male   Irish   1   New Brunswick      Baptist 

I also note conflict between the First Families Info and the Death Cert referred to by pkincaid. They both refer to a Mathew who died 30 April 1842 but the First Familes lists year of birth as about 1757 but the age of death is given in the Death Cert as 36 or a calculated year of birth of 1806.
Cheers,
Colin Ferguson

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 April 10 18:50 BST (UK) »
First Families Info was compiled by a friend of mine.  He went through various sources in the Provincial Archives and compiled the family summaries.  It is recognized that some of the information is based on erroneous family information.  Below is a copy of the death notice (not death certificate) as it appeared in the New Brunswick Courier newspaper published in Saint John, NB in its 7 May 1842 issue on page 3 column 1.  The death notice gave 36 (I compared the 30 in April versus the 8s elsewhere on the page).

I decided to investigate this further to find out the difference in ages.  First Families was based on information in two files in the New Brunswick Museum vertical files.  One is a copy of a family bible deposited at the New Brunswick Museum (Bible no. 166).  It records Matthew Ferguson died 30th April 1842 aged 85.  I then looked for a cemetery transcription and noted that John R. Elliott had transcribed the stones in the Londonderry cemetery and had Matthew Ferguson Died April 20, 1842 in the 86 year of his age.

This leads me to conclude that somewhere his death was written down for the newspaper and the newspaper misread 36 for 86 and published the error.  Mystery solved; he was in his 86th year.

I did not spend a lot of time on your census question but I got the clear impression that this was Matthew, grandson of the above Matthew, via his son John.  Matthew, the grandson, and his wife lost 6 children under the age of 10 to diphtheria between 23 May and 6 June 1879 (as per newspaper notices).

Kincaids (Kincade, Kinkaid, Kinkead, etc.) of Counties Londonderry and Tyrone.

Gardiners of Ramelton, County Donegal.

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 April 10 04:58 BST (UK) »
Matthew Ferguson left two petitions for land in New Brunswick.  The first he petitioned with James White and Thomas Alexander on 2 November 1818.  He states he recently came from Ireland, was married with six children [Provincial Archives of New Brunswick, RS108, Matthew Ferguson, 1819, Kings County].  The second was on 21 December 1827 and he states that he was 60 years old with six children [Provincial Archives of New Brunswick, RS108, Matthew Ferguson, 1827, Kings County].  Both were relating to lands on Shepody Road.

Offline ColinUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 19:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you pkincaid. With regard to the census question, I think you are correct. In any case, I conclude from your and Jagray's posts that the Matthew refered to as son of Windefor in the family bible deposited at the New Brunswick Museum (Bible no. 166) is the Matthew born about 1757 and not the Matthew son of Winderford FERGUSON and Ellen MCGHAN chr 18 May 1828, Limavady, Drumachose Christ Church.

Do you happen to know anything of Florence M. FERGUSON b. Sep 1885, IL to Benbow B. FERGUSON and Annie MC KIEL? Her middle initial is from the 1900 census and I have a feeling it should be 'B' since there are later records of a Florence Benbow FERGUSON; e.g. http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wikenosh/kemper.htm

Offline Boddie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 23:37 BST (UK) »
My name is also Matthew Ferguson. Born at Lisnakelly Limavady as it has been called for as long as I remember. It was however New town Limavady before. To my knowledge all Ferguson's from Limavady originated from. Since I started to look into my family tree I have found relations arround the world. If you look at my tree on Genes Reunited you may find some helpfull information. If you do please let me know. Thank you Matthew Ferguson.

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 May 10 20:40 BST (UK) »
Colin USA:  You asked about a Florence M. Ferguson born to Benbow Ferguson and Annie McKiel.  In one of the two vertical files at the New Brunswick Museum I referred to was a brief handwritten family history.  It was put together by Mrs. H. Roberts of 114 Douglas Avenue, Saint John.  She notes that Benbow Ferguson, son of Matthew Ferguson and Mary Kerr, married a widow Martha Scoles McArthur.  She notes that they had six children including a son Benbow Ferguson who married a McKeil and had one child.  I assume this would be the Florence you are looking for.

Contact me privately with your email address and I will scan the papers and forward to you when I get a chance.

Daniel F. Johnson's New Brunswick newspaper abstracts has the marriage of Benbow B. Ferguson, Esq. of Chicago, and Annie McKiel, daughter of William B. McKiel, Esq. of Greenwich, Kings County, NB at Chicago on 14 August 1880.  This was in both the The Daily Sun newspaper and The Daily Telegraph newspaper in Saint John on 16 August 1880.

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 18:16 BST (UK) »
Christchurch, Limavady [Drumachose] Church of Ireland

Bapt Feb 18th 1826 Mary Anne dau of Benbow Feguson & Sallt Tayler, Keenaught, N'Limavady, natural child

This was the Benbow Ferguson who was a freeholder in Coolesan in the mid - 1830s.

Offline ColinUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 05 June 10 16:58 BST (UK) »
Gortinanima,
Thanks, was that on LDS Film 496750? Therein I also found:
Elinor Jane d/o Benjamin FERGUSON & Sally TAYLOR chr 4 Jul 1823
John s/o Binbow FERGUSON & May TAYLOR chr 21 Jun 1824
Colin