Author Topic: Egremont Cemetery Lookup please - Joseph Mossop Patterson  (Read 7322 times)

Offline Andy and Von

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Egremont Cemetery Lookup please - Joseph Mossop Patterson
« on: Sunday 25 January 09 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I'm a 'newbie' to these pages so please bear with me.
I've just found out that my Granduncle, Joseph Mossop Patterson (born 6 Feb.1893, Egremont) was buried in Egremont Cemetery, despite having died 13 May 1963 in Huddfersfield.
It appears that Joseph's father, Andrew Patterson (1857-1950), bought a large burial plot in Egremont. Andrew, who also died in Huddersfield, was buried in Egremont and, courtesy of my Cousin Jim, I have a photo of that headstone. However, it only shows Andrew, his wife Sarah plus 2 of their sons - Thomas & William Isaac.
I can only guess that Joseph's plot might contain his wife, Amy (8/3/1897-12/9/1969).
I'm afraid that's all the information I have.
Could anyone help me with further details regarding the inscription on Joseph's headstone. A photo would be exceedingly welcomed if it could be arranged.
Thanks in advance, Andy & 'Von.
Patterson, Witty, Hilton, Mossop.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Egremont Cemetery Lookup please - Joseph Mossop Patterson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 May 09 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

I have checked the records for Egremont Cemetery & none of the people you are looking for are listed.
The records cover 11384 burials from Oct 1864 to Oct 2003.
Sorry could not be helpful.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Andy and Von

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 May 09 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Thank you so much for doing that for us, though it's left us a little confused now. Not knowing the area, we've had to reply on information passed on to us by other family members. We'll get back in touch with them and let them know the result of your search anyway and see where we go from there. Once again, grateful thanks.

Andy & Yvonne.

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 May 09 12:47 BST (UK) »
You could try the neighbouring villages, maybe Beckermet or Bigrigg.  They are very close to Egremont.

Rosemary

Offline Andy and Von

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 May 09 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosemary,
Thanks for the additional suggestions as to alternative burial locations. What put us onto Egremont in the first place was a photo in an e-mail from my cousin (Jim Patterson) of Andrew Patterson & family's headstone, which he advised us was at Egremont. Their son, L/Cpl 16004 William Isaac Patterson was killed in the Great War and his name is also included on their headstone. In 1911 the family still lived at Bigrigg, which is where Isaac enlisted. Years later they moved to Huddersfield, which is where Andrew (the father) died in 1950. Their son, Joseph Mossop Patterson died at Huddersfield in 1963.
The information regarding Egremont, supplied by cousin Jim, was backed up by the recollections of Joseph's daughter who mentioned that not only had Andrew, wife Sarah & 2 sons been buried in the family plot but that so had son Joseph - and possibly his wife, Amy.
As they'd lived in Bigrigg for so many years, perhaps the plot was there and not Egremont as you suggest. I'll see if Jim can shed any light on the subject.
Thanks again - much appreciated, Andy & Yvonne.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 May 09 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy.

Spent the afternoon trawling through the records again & I hope this is better news. Not quite the same dates but feel sure they are your ones.

Joseph Mossop Pattinson (Miner)  buried 17/11/1951 - Age 60.  Deceased address 31 Bridgend
The Grave Reference is Section A  Uncon  379

Sarah Pattinson Age 79 years, of 16 Rosewell Garth. Egremont buried 16 February 1973. Buried in the same grave.

Thomas Paterson buried 17/5/1908 - Age 36.  Died at 10 Penzance Street. Moor Row. Grave purchased by Mary Ann Paterson of 10 Penzance Street. Moor Row.
Grave Reference Section L Con Grave 1

Joseph Paterson buried 12/7/1914 - Age 39 Died at 32 Scalegill Road. Moor Row. Grave purchased by Mary Paterson.
Grave Reference Section L Con  Grave 4

If Thomas is in Grave 1 & Joseph in 4 in L con - I will try to go through those listings to see if Andrew bought 2 & 3.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 May 09 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy.

With reference to Joseph Mossop Pattinson - A Uncon 379 & Sarah Pattinson  Uncon 379.
Isabella Pattinson buried 21/5/1936, age 17 single of 31 Bridgend. Egremont is also buried in this grave.
The name of purchaser for all 3 is Joseph Mossop Pattinson.
Neither of the graves either side appear to belong to your family.

Joseph who is in  L con Grave 4 (12/7/1914). I am presuming that Mary Paterson who purchased that grave was his wife & they were  living at 32 Scalegill Road. Moor Row. If that is the case, Mary it would appear remarried to John James Wilkinson in Sept 1916 - 10b 1105.  She died and was buried 21/10/1919 in L con 4, the same Grave as her first husband.  Her second husband John James Wilkinson was buried 20/2/1924, age 35 but in a different section of the graveyard - Section A Con Grave 240

I have checked L con 2 & 3 which are either side of Thomas & Joseph & it would appear they belong to the Benn family.  Would that have any significance - i.e. did they have a sister who married a Benn ?

I still find no reference to Andrew 1857 St Bees & Sarah, William Isaac or Amy (nee tickle) the wife of Joseph.
Could Andrew & Sarah be buried at St Bees, where it is thought his parents Andrew & Frances may be buried ?

Hope some of this helps you in your search & apologises for not spotting the variation in spelling & dates earlier.

Sandra

Offline maryd

• My emails are not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 May 09 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

I don't know whether the church at Bigrigg (St John's) has it's own graveyard or not but it might be worth a try. Also, if info regarding St Bees is from census records then this refers to the parish, and people living in Sandwith and south Whitehaven may be included there (I have some relatives to which this applies). There might be a chance that they are buried in Whitehaven cemetery or Trinity? Just a thought....
Thornhill also has a small cemetery - this is near Egremont too.

Maryd
Denvir/ Denver anywhere - Cumberland/ Ireland
Lowery Cumberland
Bruce Cumberland
Downey Ireland
Christie
Graham Cumberland
Gribbin/ Gribben Isle of Man
Hebditch
O'Connor Cumberland
Vickers Cumberland

Offline Andy and Von

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Maryd & Sandra,
Thank you both so much for the additional input & information. Maryd, I rechecked the 1911 census page which gives their address as 2 Park View, Bigrigg. Google mapping shows this address literally just around the corner from their 1901 address of 2 Cain Street, Bigrigg - both Egremont, Cumberland.
Sandra, you've really done us proud with all of the information you've posted on the Patterson/Pattinson/Paterson names & we can't thank you enough for the time you must have spent doing the research. We really do appreciate it. All of the records that we've found to date (Census, BMD's) have fortunately maintained the Patterson spelling of the name, at least so far back as we've managed to get up to now (late 1700's). We'll have an 'in-depth' look through the details you've kindly provided and see what we can find.
Once again, thank you (both) for your help.
Andy & Yvonne.