Author Topic: Egremont Cemetery Lookup please - Joseph Mossop Patterson  (Read 7321 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Egremont Cemetery Lookup please - Joseph Mossop Patterson
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy.

If you are missing any more "Pattinson" members, I have a list of 13 others but not sure if they are yours or not - mostly Egremont addresses, rather than Bigrigg. Ranging from 1872 - 1993
Egremont Cemetery was the one used by residents of Bigrigg & other out lying areas from 1864.
St Johns at Bigrigg was the sister church to St Mary & St Michael C of E in Egremont but has very little ground around it.
Although we live in Wiltshire, we have family in the Egremont area & I do know which area of the Cemetery these graves are in, so hopefully we will find & photograph for you.

Best Wishes.
Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Andy and Von

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 May 09 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi again Sandra,
Apologies for not getting back to you sooner - we've had a couple of hectic days (with more to come) so we've still not had chance to fully review the data you kindly supplied. Thanks also for the offer of further look-ups. We really do appreciate it.
I'd hoped to be able to post the headstone photo we have to accompany one of our replies but note that, for Copyright reasons, that facility is suppressed in these forums. No matter, as you've provided a wealth of detail for us to go through. I never got to meet my paternal grandparents who could have answered so many questions regarding their family (always the case). With my parents both dying whilst I was in my late teens, the opportunity was missed there as well. That said, we're always pleasantly surprised by the kindness of others who are willing to take the time and effort to step forward to help us fill in those gaps in our knowledge.
Got to dash then - Yvonne has a train to catch shortly - again, sincere thanks to you and those others who've offered help & guidance on the names, area and so on.
Best wishes to you all, Andy & Yvonne.
Patterson, Witty, Hilton, Mossop.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 May 09 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy.

A friend who I met through researching my own family history has sent me new data on Egremont Cemetery.
It had really bugged me that I could not find the records relating to your Andrew & Sarah.
Andrew Patterson (engine man) shows up on those records buried 17/11/1950. Section A Con Grave 298. Age 93 years. He had lived at 91 Lamb Hall Road. Huddersfield.
Sarah Ann Patterson buried 27/5/1927 in the same grave. Age 71 years. The address at the time Park View. Bigrigg.

Among the 14 Patterson listed - the interesting or more important 2 that show are:-

Francis Patterson buried 6/6/1902 Age 83 years. She died at 2 Cain Street. Bigrigg. (An address you have mentioned). Described as a widow.  Could this be the Francis Mossop who married Andrew Patterson in Sept 1842.  The mother of your Andrew 1857. The Grave reference:- K Con Grave 158

The next one could be a young daughter of Andrew & Sarah (Armer) - Hannah Mildred Patterson buried 25/12/1898. Age 9 months. Died at 2 Cain Street. Bigrigg. Section K Con Grave 115

This all sounds like more positive news and the interesting prospect that you may have found Frances - although it doesn't answer the question of where her husband Andrew is buried yet.  Perhaps the other Patterson entries may be more relatives ? 

Best Wishes.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 May 09 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy.
Good news followed by bad or two steps forward and one step back!!!
The earlier reference to Joseph Mossop Pattinson 17/11/1951 (the date didn't quite fit with your information and spelling was slightly different),  now shows as John Mossop Pattinson.  So it is quite a different family to yours.  So Joseph Patterson and his wife Amy are still not accounted for.

Sandra

Offline Andy and Von

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,
Looks like you've struck pay dirt with those additional records you've turned up - that matches Andrew & Sarah's details perfectly. You mention 14 Patterson's listed & if it's not too much trouble we'd welcome the details if/when you can find time. The Frances you mention buried 1902 is indeed Andrew's mother - Frances Mossop originally - that ties in nicely with her 1817 birth. Her husband, also Andrew, died 18 Sept 1874 aged 52 years old at, we believe, St Bees. We're not certain where he's buried though. Hannah Mildred was the youngest of Andrew & Sarah's children. She died on 23 December 1898 according to the inscription on the flyleaf of the family Bible.
Thanks too for the update on Joseph/John Mossop Patterson. Cousin Pat is in touch with two of his surviving daughters but they tend to write only once or twice a year so we're not holding our breath whilst we await their response.
Thanks again for all your work & help on this.
Andy & Yvonne.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 12:55 BST (UK) »
You might wish to check this other thread to see of there's anything useful http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,83164.0.html

I found a picture there
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff.

Thank you.  This must be the photograph that Andy referred to and given to him by his cousin Jim a few years ago.
Best Wishes.
Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy.

Sent those details through using personal mail - hope you receive okay, never used it before.  If you tie any other names up could you let me know.  Looks like Geoff found the photograph Jim gave you years ago.

Sandra

Offline Andy and Von

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff,
That is indeed the photo that Jim e-mailed me a few years back. I vaguely remember the thread you mention as well. I've had a quick scan through the first page & will try to make time over the next few days to read through the rest of them.
Seems that you and I also distantly related, in that your William (married Mary W if my records are correct) was my great granduncle. Our family are descended from William's younger brother, Andrew (1857) & his wife, Sarah. I'm told that I was named after my great grandfather, who died on the same day I was born.
Thanks again, best wishes, Andy.