Author Topic: Gibson family early 1800s  (Read 6076 times)

Offline miniT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Gibson family early 1800s
« on: Monday 26 January 09 09:25 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on the Gibson family.  I have details of Frances Gibson born 22/1/1808 in Harwich.  Her father was George Gibson and her mother was called Jane (probable maiden name Manning). 

Frances very likely had a sister called Sarah Elizabeth Gibson who was married at the same time as Frances Gibson. 

Frances Gibson to Charles Cherry (Sculcoates 26/11/1827);
Sarah Elizabeth Gibson to Thomas Cherry  (Sculcoates 26/11/1827).

Does anyone know of any other siblings to this family.

MiniT
Brocklebank; Cherry; Dent; Gibson; Hunt; Newlove; Noble; Samson; Taylor; Turner;

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson family early 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 January 09 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Jane Gibson, mother of Frances is living with them in 1851 so a good clue there.  She is shown as born in Lowestoft, Suffolk.  The birth place for Frances varies.  Born in County (Yorkshire) in 1841, Harwich, Essex in 1851 and Ipswich, Suffolk in 1861.   Have you traced the "sister" Sarah to see where she was born?
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 January 09 13:47 GMT (UK) »
There is an interesting 1841 census entry in Hull for a George and Jane Gibson with what looks to me like a 12 year old male Cherry living with them.  I may be wrong as it is very hard to read.
HO107 1230/13 F45 p32
George Gibson 70 Ind not b in county
Jane 60 not born in county
Mary 40 Milliner Yes
An 20 Milliner Yes
???  Cherry?? 12
plus another person who I could not read

Keep it on the back burner
Andrea

Offline miniT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 January 09 20:05 GMT (UK) »
I have a census form for 1851 which shows her living on the Sledmere Estate with her family.  I know this is the correct Jane.  This is what is on that census form.

Drury, Sledmere with Charles Cherry (46), Head of household, Plumber & Glazier, Frances Cherry, wife, age 43, born Harwich, Essex; George Cherry, son age 21, bricklayer, born Hull, Yorks; Mary Ann Cherry, daughter, age 14, born Wetwang; Robert Cherry, son, age 12, scholar, born Wetwang; John Cherry, son, age 10, scholar, born Wetwang; Gibson Cherry, son, age 8, scholar, born Sledmere; Elizabeth Cherry, daughter, age 6, scholar, born Sledmere; Ann Cherry, daughter, age 4, born Sledmere and Jane Gibson, Mother in law, age 73, annuitant (born Suffolk, Lowestoft)

I also know there are other Jane Gibsons born in Yorkshire who may be related but I am having difficulty linking them. 

The reason I am trying to link these two is because as children we were told a story by our Dad that Pickering Park in Hull once was owned by a relative.  We are not wanting anything from the will or anything like that, but many years later a work mate came up with the same story and we always believed we were related albeit very distantly because we didn't know how to find out information about our ancestors then.  The internet has changed that immensely.  Its also the fun of finding out.

Pickering Park in Hull was donated to Hull by a Christopher Godmond Pickering and his mother was called Jane Gibson, but she is not the Jane Gibson on my tree, but I would put money on her being the link between the two families.  I have found that anything that happened before 1837 seems to be a lot harder to trace.  Its just knowing where to look.

I haven't yet been able to find out any more about Sarah Elizabeth.  I am assuming that she is a sister, but don't know whether she is older or younger or where she was born, but they were all married in Hull.

Any information would be good, its so fascinating.

Thanks for all your hard work.
MiniT
Brocklebank; Cherry; Dent; Gibson; Hunt; Newlove; Noble; Samson; Taylor; Turner;

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 08:31 GMT (UK) »
I think you need to look at those two marriages in more detail.  Who are the witnesses and the occupations of the men.  There is a possible Sarah Gibson in the census whose husband Thomas is a gunmaker.
How do you know that Frances' father was called George?
Andrea

Offline miniT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The marriage information I got from the Sculcoates Marriages April 1821 to December 1829 book published by East Yorkshire Family History Society.

The entry reads
26 Charles Cherry, plumber & glazier & Frances Gibson, spr. botp, B  by RT, Wit. George Gibson, Thomas Cherry

underneath on the next line reads:
26 Thomas Cherry, gun-maker & Sarah Elizabeth Gibson, spr. botp, B by RT, Wit. George Gibson, George Simpson.

(the 26 is for the date 26/11/1827)

My first thought was that George could have been a brother, but a kind person looked up the parish records in Harwich for Frances Gibson and the entry for that reads:

Frances Gibson born 22 January 1808, baptised 21 February 1808, daughter of George and Jane Gibson, so I am certain that Frances Gibson's father is called George Gibson.

I don't know whether Frances and Sarah Elizabeth are sisters but it seems logical, also Charles Cherry and Thomas Cherry could also be brothers.  They may be cousins.  Until I find out more information about the family I can only guess at this stage.  George Gibson could be father to both Frances and Sarah Elizabeth.

Do you think there may be more information to find about the marriage and where would I find that information?

Looking at the information you have found on the 1841 census, the ages do not quite tally with other information that I have but I know that the figures written are not entirely reliable so take all the numbers as only being rough guides. 

The same person that did the Harwich search also came up with the marriage entry in the IGI of George Gibson to Jane Manning 7 Oct 1795 in Lowestoft.  I knew Jane was born in Lowestoft and the dates fitted but it has not been checked out yet. 

A baptism of Jane Manning was found for 12 Nov 1777 Lowestoft, daughter of Thomas and Sarah.  If this is the same Jane as is on the 1851 census living at Sledmere with the Cherry family, at that point she is 73, if the baptism is the same person, she would have been 3 when she was baptised.

Could the name of the 12 year old be George Cherry, he was born approximately 1830?

I know there is more than one Jane Gibson of that era, also more than one George Gibson.  Its just trying to find the right ones.  They are probably all related in some way.

Thanks for all your input.
MiniT

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 21:19 GMT (UK) »
In 1841 all ages above 15 should be rounded down to the nearest 5 so that may account for some discrepancy.   Will look at the rest tomorrow when I am more alert!
Andrea

Offline john l

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 December 10 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi 

I have never used this before

Regards gibson/cherry  We are looking at the same family  and have the same

details as you. My wife's mother was May Cherry  doughter of Charlie Cherry do you know of her

john l

Offline miniT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 December 10 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

Yes my dad was Stan.    We have met before but some time ago. 

I haven't been on this site for quite a while but I do have information on George Gibson.   I'm not sure whether to put my email address on this site, as I don't know who else sees it, but if you want as much information as I have got, ask Joyce for my email address and I'll send you what I have.

Regards
Mary

PS  Thanks for the Christmas card.