Author Topic: Offer to do lookups opr, census and MI Scottish Borders on 29th January  (Read 4843 times)

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Offer to do lookups opr, census and MI Scottish Borders on 29th January
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Terry,What a generous offer...
Have been try to find more on this couple:

James Riddell born c 1878 in Hawick
married... Dec 15 1899 in Hawick to
Herriot Miller Huggan born 1880 in Hawick

2 known children

John Riddell born May 4 1900 in Hawick
died Apr 6 1902 in Hawick

Elizabeth Richardson Riddell born April 21 1902 in Hawick

So..what I am wondering is...
When did Herriot an James Riddell die?
Did Elizabeth R Riddell marry?

Any help on this would be great....thanks in advance!

P.S.
I am in need of missing pages  of Wellogate Cemetry 2nd paper pages 22-33,printed by Hawick Arch Society...what can you suggest??

IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline luckydog

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Terry , I believe the research centre holds the Primary School Register for Gattonside . If they do could you , if you have the time , look up Isabella Wallace born Wellbank , Gattonside on 7th December 1898 . Also Henrietta Rutherford born Gattonside on the 16th September 1877 and her sister Isabella R. born 29th November 1865 . I have lots of other Rutherfords from Gattonside but you would be there for ever . Any info on Thomas Hislop Paterson born 27th Feb 1809 , died 15th Jan 1877 , I am keen to find anything on his work as teacher in Galashiels .
Incidentally we share the same surname , my lot come from Tweedmouth then Peebles , Fife , Edinburgh .
Mike

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi ajjbc

I don't know that I'll get much info on the more recent query you have but I'll certainly see what I can find out.  Will also ask about the Wellogate Cemetery pages.

Hi Mike,

Same for you I'll do all the looking and hopefully come up with something.

Hastie is my maiden name, on the paternal side I have 2 sets of Hasties. I discovered my grandmother Hastie's 2g and my 4g grandmother was also a Hastie. They started in Yarrow went to Dumfriesshire then came back. My main line were from East Lothian, Berwickshire, and now throughout the borders. Some went to Edinburgh and others down into Northumberland.
I also have one Rutherford , my 5g grandmother Ann who married a William Roxburgh, they seem to have been in about the Ancrum, Bedrule area. Unfortunately I know nothing else about her.

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

Forgot to ask, do you know which school(s) Thomas taught in at Galashiels

Terry

Offline luckydog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Terry I have no idea which school he taught but I believe he was a well known personality both in Galashiels and Melrose . There is an unsubstaniated suggestion that he may also have been a writer . I would be interested in hearing about your experience at the archive centre as I hope to get there myself one day .

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 January 09 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi to Mike and ajjbc,

Well I'm back from Hawick and afraid it wasn't very fruitful. The Gattonside School Admissions Register was from 1895 -1941. So too late for your Rutherford girls. I was only allowed to look from 1895 to 1917, the 100 year rule, but there was no Rutherfords or Wallace on the register.

All they had for 'Galashiels School' as it was called was the minutes book 1873 to 1880. I went through it up to Thomas's death in 1877 but no mention of him. I did note that there was an Alexander Rutherford on the committee.

I asked if there was any information on teachers but they had nothing at the archives and could give me no more information on that. I even told them that he was a well known personality in Gala and Melrose and possibly a writer but....

When I came home it dawned on me that there might be some mention of Thomas in some of the local papers. I'm not sure of the dates they have on fiche but some of them do go back a long way, could check that out on my further visit, hopefully soon.

I enjoyed my day at the Hub and the staff were very helpful, I'm only sorry I wasn't of more help to you.

Hi ajjbc,

The information you were looking for was just too recent for the Hub, is there nothing on Scotlands people for James and Herriot? I have to admit to forgetting to make enquiries about the Wellogate Cemetery book but I will do when I go back.

I had noticed that you were looking for information on Richardsons China Warehouse so I took note of that and queried it. It was getting near the end of my visit when I got round to that one and I didn't take a date but John Richardson, China Merchant, was at 8 Kirkwynd, Hawick, he was in the trade directories book. My friend had her camera with her so we took a walk to Kirkwynd and No 8 was still there so she took a couple of photo.  I will have to wait until she e mails me them but if you would like them sent to you pm me your e mail address and I will certainly forward them.

Sorry again that I wasn't of more help to you both.

Terry

Offline luckydog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 January 09 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your efforts Terry , it was a bit of a long shot with Thomas .
Mike

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 February 09 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

I remembered last night I had the book 'Rutherfords Southern Counties Directory' 1866 a mine of information especially on trades and professionals. There was 2 entries for Thomas Paterson.

Melrose

Voters registered in Melrose Parish but resident in Galashiels

Paterson Thomas H, Teacher, Ladhope Bank

Galashiels

Educational Institutions

Buckholmside School (Private), Thomas Paterson, Master

At least now you know which school he taught in which may help with further research.

Hope this helps.

Terry