Author Topic: Offer to do lookups opr, census and MI Scottish Borders on 29th January  (Read 4844 times)

Offline luckydog

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Offer to do lookups opr, census and MI Scottish Borders on 29th January
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Terry , Have been looking for the school and it appears to have been on a street that ran parallel to the street that my Thomas Paterson lived on so there is a good chance it is him .
Mike

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 21:59 GMT (UK) »
OOPS...pages should read....22-33
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Have know idea where my previous message went...must have touched a key and of to the heavens it went.
Anyhow...Terry many thanks for the time you used,I appreciate.
The M.I. for Wellogate were done in 7 segments,the one that my pages are missing are from #2....pg 22-33.
I have all the rest.
Richardson's China Warehouse...I have a photo of my 2nd Gr Grandmother Harriet (Miller )Richardson standing in front of it and you can clearly  see the name and the #8,I do believe that it was on High St.
She was born 1827- 1909 and think the picture was c 1900.
Her husband was John Richardson a China Merchant...
The both windows are shelves of china and today would be called antiques.
If the chance comes about ..I am willing to pay for the 11 such pages...as so much of my research centers around there,I am in Alberta Canada.
Again many thanks for your time.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Also, found this in Rutherfurd Southern Counties under the heading Parochial Teachers: Registrar of births, marriages and deaths, and Inspector of Poor

Melrose (D)  }   Thomas Murray Reg of BD and M
Ladhope (D) }   Thomas Paterson Reg of BD and M

These two were put together, Ladhope part of Melrose Parish then ?

Terry

g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline luckydog

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Terry , This further confirms that Thomas was a minor local official . Part of Galashiels was considered to be in Roxburgh . Ladhope was transferred to Selkirkshire between 1871 and 1881 .
Mike

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 February 09 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

And here's another bit from same book

Melrose

Parochial Board 

Thomas H Paterson Sub-Inspector for Galashiels District

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Camart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 April 09 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi. Thomas Hislop Paterson was born 27 february 1809 at Ancrum and died 15 Jan 1877 at 5 Ladhope Bank not far from the school where he taught. Apart from being a teacher he was a qualified Land Surveyor and he also had been awarded a DD ( Doctor of Divinity) degree from Edinburgh University.
He was an author of religious books and tracts eg " Memorials of the Exemplary Life and Dying Experience or Mary Glen of Allan's Green". Other works included Illustrations of Faith in Christ, Dying in Christ, Sinner's friend, Faith in Jesus Christ etc.

One important book which was widely used at the time was " The Writing Master (Everyone his own Instructor in the art of penmanship)published in 1852, with beautiful illustrations of his copperplate writing.