Author Topic: Pearsall- a murderer in the family???  (Read 2612 times)

Offline coffeeaddict

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pearsall- a murderer in the family???
« on: Tuesday 27 January 09 13:06 GMT (UK) »
I always thought my family was full of nailmakers/ag labs and that nothing really interesting happened but...
It seems that my g/g/g/grandfather George Pearsall may have died in Broadmoor after being arrested for murdering his wife Harriot/Harriett.  She died in the 1st quarter of 1888  & they lived in Oldswinford.
Where could i find more info on this? are there any newspaper archives online or court records?

would love to know what happened
thanks
c a
Noke-B'ham-Worcester
Gorden/Gauden-Pedmore-the Lye
Crickard-Cumberland-Scotland
Rowlands-Tywyn-Merionshire
Brooks-Middlesex-Gloucestershire
Morris-Middlesex-Tywyn

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pearsall- a murderer in the family???
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Do you have access to 19th Century Newspapers online?  There is an article in
Birmingham Daily Post, Thursday, February 16, 1888 giving an account of the trial of 79 year old George Pearsall.   His son James is giving evidence about finding the body. He lived with his father at Heath Lane. Then lots of other people give evidence for the prosecution

His daughter Sarah Chance then gives evidence that her father had delusions.

He was found guilty but insane at the time of the act and ordered to be kept in custody as a criminal lunatic at Her Majesty's Pleasure.

It also emerged that George's brother had also died in an Asylum...Ppwick Asylum...it all sounds very sad.

If you can't access the newspapers PM me and let me know

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed there are some other articles too.  One reporting the crime the next day (7th feb) so the murder must have been 6th Feb?

Let me know if you can access the archive

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trisholdham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 02:23 GMT (UK) »
Reading about the murder of George Pearsall, I have a friend who has a Harry Pearsall born in the same village as George Pearsall who we believe is the Grandfather of Harry, Harry immigrated to Australia just after the murder
I am trying to find the ship he went on to Melbourne. can any one help me please.