Author Topic: LOVETT  (Read 2501 times)

Offline lainey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
LOVETT
« on: Friday 11 February 05 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to rootschat I have furthered my research on the above name,  According to the 1871 Census my GGG Grandfather James Lovett born South Africa married Elizabeth born Kilkenny, Ireland.  I have no Idea how Elizabeth may have met and married a man from South Africa or where they married.  It is a long shot but has anyone access to marriage records in Kilkenny which show a marriage of James Lovett (born abt 1814) to Elizabeth (born abt 1813) ?
Cole, Lawrence, Sturgess, Terry, Wareham, Broomfield, Taylor, Lovett, Davis, Brindley

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: LOVETT
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 May 07 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hello lainey,

Griffith's Valuation of Kilkenny 1849 - 50 shows there were families named Lovett living in Kilkenny. I imagine they were there prior to the Valuation. I presume James, although born in South Africa, could have been related to one of these families

Chris

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: LOVETT
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 December 07 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi lainey,

I was looking at an article about Tapestry and spotted Christopher and John Lovett who had a tapestry business at  Chapelizod, near Dublin, at the end of the end of the 17th century and early 18th century. They were there for about twenty years. John had to leave Dublin and went to England. When he went he had with him thirty eight pieces of tapestry of "Their Majesties' Manufacture of Ireland."

I've linked this thread to the one about James Lovett.

Christopher