Author Topic: Robert Douglass and Esther Ormiston Kelso  (Read 7933 times)

Offline Allan Robson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Douglass and Esther Ormiston Kelso
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 February 12 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Aud, so you are sure Mary Married John Sewell?

Regards
Allan

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 February 12 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello All
Robert Douglass married Esther Ormiston in 1834, they had 4 children Mary born 1835, Willam 1837 James 1839 and Janett born 1840, however i cant find any baptisms for these children, the family were living in Kelso on the 1841 Census.
Maybe someone can help.

Thanks
Allan Robson

If you're interested in the Ormistons of Kelso, I can tell you that Esther was born in 1813 to John Ormiston, shoemaker, and his wife Mary Marshall, who were also the parents of Elizabeth Ormiston who married John Stewart in 1843.

John Stewart was a skinner like his uncle Richard Stewart, my great-great-great-grandfather. The descendants of John Stewart and Elizabeth Ormiston ended up in Edinburgh.

Alistair Moffat mentions some of the Ormistons of Kelso in his book "Kelsae". A Charles Ormiston was jailed for being a Quaker in the 1600s, but other Ormistons are thought to have been secret Catholics.

Harry

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 February 12 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Alan
I have every thing on Mary Douglas and John Sewell after the birth of the first son James Sewell born 1853 and all original certs back it up
I went to Carlisle over 20 years ago to look for a marriage but nothing even tried Scotland but no luck

Audrey

Offline Allan Robson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 February 12 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Aud
I agree the marriage is a mystery, it could be there but maybe a wrong spelling of the Surname is throwing us out, i will keep on looking, did i tell you what my link is to the Douglass's?

Allan

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan and Audrey

This is really for Audrey. The Mary who was the daughter of Robert Douglas and Esther Ormiston married a John Inglis in Galashiels in 1885:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,587954.msg4390356.html#msg4390356

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***