Author Topic: Where can I get a Birth Certificate for Alexander Blackburn born 1843 Londonderr  (Read 5469 times)

Offline alanhughes

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • 4generations
    • View Profile
Where can I get a Birth Certificate for Alexander Blackburn born 1843 Londonderry?

I know his father is John but I don't know his mother name, which is why I want his birth certificate

Can someone please advise on the best way to find Alexanders mothers name or\and where I can get his birth certificate.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Alan

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I get a Birth Certificate for Alexander Blackburn born 1843 Londonderr
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Alan,
        I am afraid that you cannot get a certificate. The civil registrations of births did not begin until 1864. The best that you can do is get a copy of what may be written in a church register but you need to know which church and even then you cannot be sure that the church would have kept records.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I get a Birth Certificate for Alexander Blackburn born 1843 Londonderr
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Alan,
      I have had a look at the Griffith's Valuation to try and locate Blackburns in Co. Londonderry and the only four which come up are all in the district of Myroe. This is an area on the west bank of the River Roe, north of the town of Limavady in the parish of Tamlaght Finlagan. The survey was carried out in 1858 but there is no John Blackburn.  The churches would have been The Church of Ireland in Ballykelly or in Limavady, the Presbyterian church in Myroe or the Roman Catholic Church in Limavady.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline alanhughes

• RootsChat Extra
  • 4generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your posts
Do you think the public records office will be able to help?
Or is there anywhere I might find another family tree with the info, I have tried genereunited and ancestry.co.uk
Alan

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Alan,
       The public record office (Google PRONI) may very well have microfilm of the appropiate church records but you would have to employ a researcher to look at them. I have done a check on the 1831 census for Co. Londonderry and of the 9 names only one is John and he is in the parish of Tamlaght Finlagan so Myroe is a fair bet.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 21:59 GMT (UK) »
As kingskerswell mentioned, there will be no birth certificate for Alexander Blackburn born 1843 so you'd need to search for church records, if they exist. Often early baptism records only list the father's name so even if you do find a baptism it may not provide the mother's name.
There are quite a few Blackburn Will Extracts on PRONI site (www.proni.gov.uk - searching for Blackburn and Londonderry Registry Office) but only one person there in Co. Londonderry.
Londonderry can refer to the County or the City but also sometimes the area around the city which may be in Co, Donegal.
Maybe if you tell us where the information that Alexander Blackburn was born in Londonderry in 1843 come from we might be able to help further.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline alanhughes

• RootsChat Extra
  • 4generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 January 09 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Alexander Blackburn is my GG Grandfather. He married in Swansea Wales 1n 1865 and I have his marriage certificate which is where I have his father’s name from, John Blackburn
The only other official document I have of him is the 1881 census http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1881wales&h=5810523&ti=5538&indiv=try&gss=pt
This states that his birth year is abt 1843 and he was born in London Derry Ireland
Thanks again for your interest and help
Alan

Offline alanhughes

• RootsChat Extra
  • 4generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 January 09 07:01 GMT (UK) »
I thought I had better add that the 1881 census states that Harriet Slocombe is Alexander’s mother but the marriage certificate states that Harriet’s father is William Slocombe so I am assuming there is an error on the census regarding whose mother Harriet is