Author Topic: Adam Turnbull  (Read 5508 times)

Offline Hassen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adam Turnbull
« on: Thursday 29 January 09 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm new on here. I am looking for the death of my GGGrandfather, Adam Turnbull, tenant of Hassendean Bank near Minto. I have a lot of info on his family. I know he died between 1807 and 1815. There were 12 children all of whom lived.  Is anybody related to this family?

Hassen

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Turnbull
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 February 09 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hassen, I am also a Turnbull but not related. It would maybe help if you had his wifes name. Rox old par registers show 5 adams married in Minto from 1716-1788 from Helen Nichol (earliest) to  Agnes Smaile, Margaret Dryden ,Elizabeth Scott and lastly Betty scott(1788).
I have checked Denholm Mis but no trace also Lilliesleaf.
BINGO I have just checked Bowden churchyard and found what you are looking for :_ 1, Sacr in the --------the children of Adam Turnbull and Betty Scott who were all born at Hassendean parish of Minto.(There are nine lines of inscriptions re all the children)
the next stone is Adam who died 18th July 1810  (born 24-6-1766)and says he was buried in Minto cemetery. it includes Betty scott his wife but the stone is sunken.
If you are local to Melrose ring me 0n 822873  or send me e-mail. I did the transcritions for Bowden and have photos of all the headstones as well for you cheers
alan

turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Hassen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 February 09 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you Alan. He is my Adam. He was born in 1766 at Hassendean Bank to James TURNBULL and Agnes TURNBULL. The other Adam is his Grandfather, father to James. That Adam was married 3 or 4 times.  I have lots of info but I just couldn't find Adam's death. I have been to the Minto cemetery but failed to find it.I knew Betty lived in Bowden. I would be interested to know who else is buried in that plot. I am extremely grateful as I live in Nova Scotia, Canada so it's hard to get information.

Thank-you very much. Incidentally who are you related to? Many of the TURNBULLS are connected, I find.

I will email you when I find out what your email address is.

Hassen

Offline Gala Lass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 April 09 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I was wondering if either of you are related to the
Turnbull that owned Kimmerghame Manse? My Paterson uncles worked for Kimmersghame and
lived in the cottages at Sinclairshill until the last
Turnbull willed the cottage they lived in to them.
I have been trying to find the date of it. In 05 I spoke
to one of the residents there and he was in his 90s. He
knew a lot of history about that area.He had known some of my uncles. My GGGrandfather died in the
cottage so did my uncles for 4 generations. The last
Paterson died not long ago. They were blacksmiths and welders.
The Edrom Church Cemetery is where they are mostly
buried.
Any help would be appreciated,
Gala Girl
Galashiels (Paterson, Purves, Tweedie, Shiel, Welsh,Shaw)
Sinclairshill (Paterson)
Coldingham(Nisbet,Robertson,Purves)
Hawick (Kerr,Straucher,Tweedie)
Aberdeen (Patterson,Tweedie, Brown,)
Bradford England (Driver,Longfellow, Banks,
Butler,Holland)
Patterson,Paterson, Purves and Robertson-Missouri, Kansas, California, Pennsylvania,New York
Inverness Harris South, (MacCuich,MacLennon)

Offline SarahJ12

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Hassen, bit of a long shot as I know it's a really old post but I'm also related to your Adam Turnbull. His son Gavin Turnbull b 1800 is my GGGG Grandfather. I would be really interested in any information you are willing to share on this family.
Sarah

Offline Hassen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah, I have lots of info on this family I will happily share with you. I will send you a message on ancestry.com.

Barb

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 November 10 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Gala lass

I found your post when I was looking for something else. I see it's a long time ago, so I hope you're still there!

I don't have any connection to your family, but thought you might be interested in this from the Borders volume of 'The Buildings of Scotland' (2006):

'Sinclairshill. Two rows of early C19 estate cottages, added to and romanticised in the mid C19. Cotswold Tudor style, with busy facades of gables and bay windows variously treated, and chunky-columned porches. The centre gable of the N row has a stylised monogrammed hoodmould and a full-size stork finial. The S row has projecting ends, the W decorated with a stone riband announcing 'Sinclairshill', and a large horseshoe in the E gable-head for the blacksmith'.

Regards,

Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram