Author Topic: Edmondson (Edmonson, Edmundson, Edmunson) of Cumberland, Westmorland, Lancs/York  (Read 3366 times)

Offline Tyke

• My email address is not working sorry
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
My interest are the Edmondsons (with various spellings) of Greystoke in Cumberland in 1500s whose decendents spread to neighbouring villages, then to Brough in Westmorland, then Kendal and north Lancashire.  They were in Pateley Bridge in Yorkshire by the 1750s then Knaresborough by 1800 and Bradford in Yorkshire by 1850s.

Decendents are still in Bradford but also in the Lancaster/Morecambe/Heysham areas.

Interested in comparing notes with others looking at the same family

Offline EDO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Edmondson (Edmonson, Edmundson, Edmunson) of Cumberland, Westmorland, Lancs/York
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 February 13 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tyke

Hope that you are still on-line.

For the past 20 plus years since my 91yo. father passed away, I have been attempting to trace our EDMONDS family line.

I have even developed over many years a site of EDMONDS family groups on behalf of EDMONDS' world-wide.

My site is at -

http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/edmonds

I would like more information if you are able to supply it.

Regards

Bruce EDMONDS
Brisbane Australia

Offline xsalamak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edmondson (Edmonson, Edmundson, Edmunson) of Cumberland, Westmorland, Lancs/York
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Tyke,
I only recently came across your subject. James Edmondson b. 1799 in Lancashire (I Believe in Roosebeck) is my 4th great grandfather. His great grand-daughter Susannah married my great grandfather Abraham Thompson Robinson (residence on Walney, Barrow in Furness in 18950. Do we have a family connection? Xsalamak

Offline Margaret Irvine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello to Tyke and any others interested:

EDMUNDSONS OF HEYSHAM, LANCASHIRE

I was very interested to read your posting about the Greystoke, Cumberland 1500s origins of the Edmondsons.

My 6th great grandmother was Mary Edmundson born abt 1693 Heysham, Lancs. She married Christopher Stephenson 27 Mar 1716 St Peter's, Heysham. She was buried 1 Nov 1754 Heysham.

She was the daughter of Richard Edmundson. Richard was born 16 Mar 1663/64 Heysham, baptised 20 Mar 1663/64 Heysham, the son of Edmond Edmundson and Mary Unknown.
He married Deborah Edmundson 5 Feb 1687 St Peters, Heysham. He died 3 Sep 1742 Heysham, buried 5 Sep 1742 Heysham.

Deborah Edmundson was born 31 Jul 1666 Heysham baptised 5 Aug 1666 St Peters, Heysham. She died Sep 1723, buried 5 Sep 1723 St Peters, Heysham.

Richard Edmundson (1663-1742) left a Will which mentions his daughter Mary Stephenson and her children in birth order.
An original copy and transcript is attached to his profile on my family tree on Ancestry called Margaret Irvine Family Tree

His father Edmond Edmundson was buried 8 Jan 1702 St Peters, Heysham.
His wife Mary - burial 26 Dec 1687 St Peters, Heysham.

Edmond Edmundson and Mary also had a son John Edmundson (1660-1675) bapt and buried at St Peters, Heysham.

Deborah Edmundson (1666-1723) was the daughter of Robert Edmundson and Jenett Clifton.

Robert Edmundson and Jenett Clifton married 15 Nov 1659 St Peters, Heysham.
Robert's burial 25 Jan 1680/81 St Peter's, Heysham.
Jenett's burial 24 Aug 1693 St Peter's, Heysham.

Richard and Deborah Edmundson had in total 7 children all baptised St Peter's, Heysham.

They lived at White Lund Farm, Heaton with Oxfliffe.  Source:  The Dated Buildings of South Lonsdale by Emmeline Garnett.

Please Note:   There are two entries on my family tree on Ancestry for Richard Edmundson (1663-1742), one of which does not contain will  details.  This tree is called Margaret Irvine Family Tree and is publicly accessible.

Margaret Irvine

SEDDON -  Deane parish, Lancashire
HAWORTH - Lostock, Lancashire
O'KEEFE - Castlepark, Cahermurphy, Sorrel Island, Co. Clare, Ireland
IRVINE - Fermanagh, Northern Ireland
MOFFAT -  Derryvullan, Fermanagh, Northern Ireland
BELL  -   Kincardineshire, Scotland
LEIGHTON - Kincardineshire, Scotland
TUCKER - Ringwould, Kent