Author Topic: PORTER family of Wagga Wagga NSW  (Read 6718 times)

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
Re: PORTER family of Wagga Wagga NSW
« Reply #18 on: Friday 30 January 09 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how much  background  you  have  for  your family  but an Annie Maria Porter does appear on  the Early Electorals in Queensland.

Do you know if she lived in Qld at all?

You  would have  to  think  that William Henry Porter  born in 1893  is not  the son of Ann Porter nee Caffrey but a grandson perhaps.

Did your James and Anne have a son Called James.

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline gidget37

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 30 January 09 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenn, firstly Annie M never left NSW, She lived most of her adult life in Hurstville with her sister Helen (known as Ellen) and another sister Emma and her family. I don't have the records in front of me but I think Emma married a Crawford. I have a photo of my g grandfather and g grandmother Helen Porter with their granchildren and some of her family. Annie is in that photo so is Emma. It was taken in their back yard at Hurstville in the early 1920's.
I also have a memory of something strange going on with Helen's dad. James Porter I believe had a second wife or partner.Frowned on and whispered about because they were catholic.
As Annie M wrote to the war ministries about her brother William Henry. Elizabeth also wrote about her son William Henry (same person) to say his father had died in 1906 in Wagga.. Elizabeth wrote from Wagga and Annie M wrote from Hurstville. I only found that information today.
I will be doing a trip to my uncle later this year he is 90 but still has good memories of his childhood and youth in Hurstville. He also still lives in the area. After his marriage he lived in Allawah which is on the same train line as Hurstville and the street he lived in can be reached from both Allawah and Hurstville stations.
I have also been trying to connect with another line of Porters in New Zealand as both my uncle and his older sister have laid claim to English (NZ born) actress Nyrie Dawn Porter. Both called her a cousin although they were a generation ahead of her. Must have been a second cousin.
It is getting late here and I have spent hours on this site on and off today. I am not a young person and my head is so full of new information as the puzzle takes shape.
Thanks again to you and all who have helped thus far, I am off for a nanny nap.
Regards gidget  :)
Coleman, Sussex,Hodson Manchester,Tanner Gloucester, Dunbar Aberdeen Scotland.Porter Perth Scotland.Styles Aberdeen Scotland

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 30 January 09 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Oh, this is so nice to see the pieces coming together for you Gidget. 

You'll notice on the National Archives file that Annie M PORTER, his sister, writes from Hurstville asking why they have heard nothing about him.  There is a later letter from mother Elizabeth which says that William has a brother and a married sister so Annie must have been married between the time of the two letters.  Sorry I can't check the dates as the file won't open for me just at the moment.

I'll be at the National Library one day next week and will have a look at the fiche with Ann Caffrey on it to see if I can find you any more information, unless someone else finds it before me.  The ship my Irish family came on left from Plymouth so I have no idea how they got from Ireland to Plymouth. You may find that Ann left from an English port.

The Canberra genealogy group have a lot of local records which may help in the search for the Binalong connection.  Again, I won't be there before next week.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 30 January 09 13:13 GMT (UK) »
If you come across Linda Lillian Porter, born Wagga, 1889, she married my Great Uncle Robert Stanley Jones, 1909, also in Wagga. Her parents were James Porter and Elizabeth. If she isn't in your Porter family, then there were more than one lot of Porters living in Wagga at that time.  ;D
I believe there was some sort of disruption to civil registers in Wagga at some time as several people who I know were born or died in Wagga are not in the NSW BDMs for Wagga.
Sorry if I've just thrown a spanner in your works. ;D
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline gidget37

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 30 January 09 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,Jenn,Judith and Leonie
whew what a lot to sort.
Here goes, Sue on the elect roll for Wagga There was a James at same address as Elizabeth, I think he was James and Ann's son b 1870 who stayed in Wagga and married .  Then there was a Robert, he died in 1906 (I can't find his birth) in Wagga. Eleanor B also died in 1909 (can't find her birth either) The elder James was a brickmaker and is at another address???
Linda L born 1889, had a son Robert J born 1908 when she was 19
(two years after her father died in 1906.) the next year she married Robert S Jones in 1909 (obviously the baby's father), all in Wagga. (Years later in 1933 Robert J married Leila Bogan in Wagga)
Judith,  Annie M daughter of James and Anne Caffrey never married, she had a daughter Annie in 1891 in Kogarah (same shire as Hurstville)
Annie M died in Hurstville. 1959. Young Annie did marry.
When Elizabeth wrote to the war department she mentioned a brother, had to be James (a 1/2 brother) and sister who recently married, that had to be Linda L.
But we also have the letter from Annie M in Hurstville seeking news of her  brother (1/2 bros?) William Henry. This convinces me that James snr has two wives. Anne Caffrey and Elizabeth? I realy don't think he married Elizabeth as I can't find a marriage or a death of Elizabeth Porter.
The children of James and Anne that died in Hurstville were =Helen 1926, Annie 1959,Emma 1950 and Michael 1955. Whew!!
Most of this was sorted out today. From the bits I had and also gained.
And no  Leonie you haven't put a spanner in the works, just slotted in another piece that fits.
It has been a long day for me. I do hope someone else reads all this and gains something from it for their research too.
Thanks so much to all who came on board. Regards gidget  ;D ;D ;D
Coleman, Sussex,Hodson Manchester,Tanner Gloucester, Dunbar Aberdeen Scotland.Porter Perth Scotland.Styles Aberdeen Scotland

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 30 January 09 23:49 GMT (UK) »
That's a lot of info Gidget,  :D
It also gives me a family for Aunty Biddy AKA Linda Lillian. I have a photo of her if you'd like to have a copy.
She'd be in her 60's I think. She died in Newtown in 1967.
Nice to meet a new "cousin"  ;D
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 02 February 09 06:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Gidget

I had a look at the fiche for the Invincible which arrived in Melbourne, October 5 1857 with Ann CAFFREY aboard as an unassisted passenger.  There was very little additional information.  She was aged 22, a spinster, and her country of origin was Ireland.  The Invincible sailed from Liverpool on a journey of 140 days.

So, this still could be your girl - or not!

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gidget37

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 02 February 09 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Judith,
I have been sorting through my files and putting heaps in orf\der for many branches today ;)
Hopefuly I will fing the info I received on Anne Caffrey. I remember I narrowed it down to one who left Dublin but can't remember the rest of the details. I need to find the written word :-[
I have noted your information and will get back to you soon.
Regards gidget ;D