Author Topic: strange family names  (Read 13777 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: strange family names
« Reply #36 on: Monday 29 February 16 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I think I've heard of that chap - indirectly, from a friend, it does sound familiar...
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 27 April 18 21:08 BST (UK) »
Spotted a Ptolomey/Ptolemy in an Irish family tree connected to my DNA. Looking further it could also be Tolmey/Tolmy

I had never thought of it in that light but there is that old conjecture of Egyptians settling in Ireland very early ie BC
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 28 April 18 19:27 BST (UK) »
There was a Ptolomy family in Doncaster recently. The name is Greek not Egyptian. The name of the Greeks who replaced the Egyptian pharoahs, and were replaced by the Romans.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Gt Grandmother-Margaret Dickenson
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 29 April 18 14:13 BST (UK) »
In my Paternal Ancestors I have one with the middle name of Claudius.

Where I used to live there was an elderly gentleman who had a Off Licence & his name
was Stonewall Jackson.
Lancashire- Moss,Broadbent,Olley,Dobson,Dickenson,
Norfolk-Olley,Knowles,Bunn,Pooley,Scott,Vince
Caithness & Dumfries - Evans,Sinclair,Mackay
Belfast-Antrim - Mackay,Connor,Bunting
Liverpool,Wigan & Southport - Ball,Taylor
Isle of Man - Harp,Dougherty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Knighton,Radnorshire - Evans, Broadhurst
Caithness - Sinclair

Offline carom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 17:01 BST (UK) »
Our local history group transcribed the gravestones in our local churchyard.
My favourite was Neighbour Crump. I checked on freebmd and he was christened Neighbour in about 1850.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 10 May 18 16:44 BST (UK) »
I would imagine that the word "Friend" will appear many times in a Quaker graveyard. I know it is a title to the Quakers, but have known at leat one person named and known as Friend.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 10 May 18 18:23 BST (UK) »
My great-great-grandad was named Verdant! This name was never passed down the generations sadly. He gave himself a middle name of Robert, presumably to fit in better  ;D

Other than that, most of mine are fairly common - William and John mainly. Had a couple of Biblical names here and there: Abraham, Jethro, Abel. Austin was a good one, presumably a family name. Burt. Jesse. Ambrose. Some interesting female ones such as Augusta, Avery, Charity, Patience, Virtue, Lily, Thomasine, Diana and Amey among them.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 10 May 18 23:27 BST (UK) »
I worked with a young engineer whose name was Tem. On enquiring, he told me it was short for Temujin, the birth name of Genghis Khan. Apparently I was the first person that knew the origin of his name.
Off the top of my head the strangest name in my family tree is Ferdinando. Apparently quite popular in the 16th and 17th centuries.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 11 May 18 17:54 BST (UK) »
Off the top of my head the strangest name in my family tree is Ferdinando. Apparently quite popular in the 16th and 17th centuries.
There were several Ferdinandos in a family I'm researching 18th-19thC. They lived in Co. Durham. A granddaughter named her Lancashire-born son Ferdinando after his uncle & godfather. Thomas, William or John were the usual names of these families. It was a Catholic family. I wondered if it was a tribute to King Ferdinand, father of Queen Catherine of Aragon. One of my lines has several girls called Isabella.  I was hoping to find a Ferdinand & Isabella pairing.
Cowban