Author Topic: Copyright Warning getting everywhere  (Read 3814 times)

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Copyright Warning getting everywhere
« on: Friday 30 January 09 13:43 GMT (UK) »
I seem to be getting the Copyright Warning message more and more. In the last couple of days I've got it whenever I've tried to copy & post a link (I know I can get round it by CTR + V) and am also getting it when I click on a username to get to their profile. Why should this be the case - looking at a user's profile doesn't seem to me to have any potential for copyright infringement?

Surely a message that pops up so often when irrelevant is likely to be ignored when it is relevant - to the detriment of RootsChat?

Offline Copyright-Editor

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Copyright Warning getting everywhere
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 January 09 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Not aware of settings being changed.

The copyright warning should only pop up on Look-up boards and only when someone uses the right-hand button of the button.  Having checked out what happens, it does not seem to come up when trying to check a member's profile unless the right mouse button is clicked.

At the moment, the problem you are having doesn't seem to be repeated for everyone.

???

Puzzled C-Ed

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 January 09 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Having checked out what happens, it does not seem to come up when trying to check a member's profile unless the right mouse button is clicked.

Thank you for your response, which I find a little strange. You seem to suggest that is the act of using the right-click that triggers a copyright warning, irrespective of whether that action relates to anything to do with copyright.

The two button mouse pre-dates RootsChat and multi-tabbed browsers are widespread, so I find in natural when I want to reply to a message to right click on a member's name to get their profile (for location) in another tab while keeping the message page open. It seems a shame that this gets treated by the system as a matter generating an irrelevant automatic warning. As with the copying of links I can work round it, but.....

Still on the whole it works and as they say, worse things happen at sea, etc!

Offline madpants

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 January 09 16:27 GMT (UK) »
I've just tried right clicking your profile and your last posts to open in new window and not had a warning message about either.
GREENWELL - Middlesbrough
TURNBULL - Houghton le Spring, Coxhoe, Spennymoor
DEVEY - Pentonville, Stockton, M'bro
MOHAN/HUN - Stockton on Tees
SCRAFTON - Darlington
BROADBENT - Saddleworth, Ashton Under Lyne
HEMSWELL - Grantham, M'bro
SIMPKINS - M'bro
SIMPKIN - Little Wratting, Suffolk
MALLALIEU - Saddleworth, Ashton U L
GOODWIN - Macclesfield Forest
SUTCLIFFE - Heptonstall, Ashton U L
PLIMMER - Pontesbury, Ashton U L
CAMBRIDGE - Goulborne, Ashton U L
SIDDALL - Ashton U L

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 January 09 17:26 GMT (UK) »
I just went to a look up board and tried it and it does bring the message up... I guess maybe the system isn't sophisticated enough to know why you are right clicking - just that you are.

Milly :)
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 January 09 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Madpants - thanks for that - I've just tried yours on here & had no problem - perhaps this isn't a "look-up" board? Either that or the gremlins are having a rest  ;)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 January 09 06:15 GMT (UK) »
Nothing much happens when I right click on a person's name to look at their profile ...

I left click if I require such information.

Offline OzKat

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Tangled webs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 January 09 07:31 GMT (UK) »
I agree that it is definitely happening on lookup boards but not here. If you right click on any link on the lookup board you get the message. I find it annoying but have generally managed to get around it.
... Morrison, Murphy, Lindsay, Jones, McClatchey, McCormick, Sheehan & more - Ireland ...
... Grant, Ross, Urquhart, Rorie, May, McDougall, Donaldson  & more - Scotland ...
... Percival, Hodson, Russell, Lavis, Moxey, Viney, White, Delaforce, Bayne & many more - England ...

Percival and McCormack Family History

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 January 09 16:55 GMT (UK) »
i had been getting copyright warnings a lot lately and it was confusing as to why but i think i've figured it out.

the problem only happens when i try to post a link onto a look-up board after i've done a copy and paste from another window,the system must be thinking i'm posting whole pages or something when i'm only posting a link! i had thought it was rootschat stopping me, and me alone, but i'm glad to see its not :)

tony