Author Topic: 1861 Census for Oxenton  (Read 8840 times)

Offline Alex_Wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census for Oxenton
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 January 09 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Jane Hobbs was born ca1831 in Oxenton but no baptism found. She is in the 1841 census with what is probably her parents and some siblings (HO107 /367 / 8 Folio 3) Of those siblings only Mary can be found in the Oxenton baptisms on 17th Jul 1826. In 1851 Jane was still in Oxenton with her father but listed as simply J Hobbs age 21 (HO107 / 1974 Folio 174 page 13) The head of the household is Thos Hobbs, but his wife is A Hobbs and also in the family is a W Hobbs, grandson of Thos aged 10 months. This is believed to be William Hobbs who was Jane’s illegitimate son who was baptised at Oxenton on 8th July 1851.
1861 census is the one missing
Jane married in 1868 and in the 1871 census (RG10 / 2677 Folio 80 page 7) Jane is with her husband Thomas Attwood and her illegitimate son William now aged 20. Thomas Attwood died in 1873 and in the 1881 census (RG11 / 2580 Folio 38 page 7) Jane is with her son William now 31 and two grandchildren William (5) and Clara (2) These grandchildren are believed to be the children of Mary Hobbs who was another illegitimate daughter of Jane. This Mary was baptised at Oxenton 28th February 1858 and I am trying to locate the1861 census to substantiate all this.

Alex
Wood, Aucterless, ABD
Milne, Aberdeen, ABD
Williams, Newnham, Gatcombe(Lydney),Berkeley, GLS
Johnstone, Rerrick, KKD
Johnstone, Gloucester, GLS
Johnstone, Lancaster, LAN
Stevens, Trowbridge, WIL

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 31 January 09 12:17 GMT (UK) »
http://www.archivecdbooks.ca/index.cfm?fuseaction=store.viewSubcategory&intCatalogID=2&intCatagoryID=2&intSubcategoryID=220

1861 is at bottom page and PIECE list includes 1805  .... email the vendor and ask specifically about the inclusion of Oxenton ...
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alex_Wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 31 January 09 12:55 GMT (UK) »
I have checked my CD set for the 1861 and Oxenton should be on RG9 / 1805 enumeration district 6. This district should comprise 6 pages for Teddington, 6 for Oxenton and 4 for Woolstone. There are only 2 for Teddington, none for Oxenton and 2 and a section of a third for Woolstone. The originals look to be badly damaged so I would suggest Oxenton did not survive. The surviving folio numbers as 79 - 81 and of these 81 is only part of a page. 79 is Teddington and 80 is Woolstone. The folio numbers would appear to have been put on at the time and did not include Oxenton
Wood, Aucterless, ABD
Milne, Aberdeen, ABD
Johnstone, Rerrick, KKD
Stevens, Trowbridge, WIL

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 January 09 13:04 GMT (UK) »
pretty conclusive if the Folio numbers are contiguous ..... so it sounds like the Nat Archives arent aware that this ED is incomplete   .... and all suppliers have just trolled thru the apparently consecutive pages w/o noticing either.

Ancestry has a list of incomplete and missing PIECES, and 1805 doesnt figure.

Guess you answered your own question, but glad to have been of some help ...  ;)

Offline Alex_Wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 21:12 GMT (UK) »
I have now been informed by the National Archives that the 1861 census for Oxenton did not survive
Wood, Aucterless, ABD
Milne, Aberdeen, ABD
Johnstone, Rerrick, KKD
Stevens, Trowbridge, WIL

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for letting us know, Alex.

:)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 February 09 13:13 GMT (UK) »
lets hope they update the Catalogue !

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alex

I was in the library today and found a gem of a book about Oxenton - lots of names and lists, so you might be in luck!  Sadly it is only available for reference and I'm not sure when I will be back there but I wondered if you could get it on an inter-library loan?

I found the details of the book Here

Gotherington Area Local History Society (comp.). Aspects of Oxenton : researchers into the life of the villages through the ages. [s.l.]: Gotherington Area Local History Society, 2004.

I hope that is of use - if you need me to look at it for you, please PM me but be prepared for a long wait! Alternatively you could try contacting the Gotherington Area Local History Society direct - I tried Googling for a current contact for them without joy - again if you're stuck I think I know a name I could try!

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)