Author Topic: Whatever Happened to Elizabeth Jane Breach nee Batten/Ovenden/Heath/Breach and  (Read 7078 times)

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I would like to find out if there are any descendants of Edith Harriett Anne Heath (born New Zealand 1870) who married Griffith Douglas Ellis in 1904 at Rainy River, Rat Portage, Ontario. Their children Christine Charlotte and Honor Jessie were born in Winnipeg/Winnipegosis, Manitoba in 1905 and c.1908 with a son, D. O. Ellis found on a shipping list to  Australia/New Zealand, born in c.1915.
It is the Death and place of Death of Edith's mother Elizabeth Jane Breach who was listed as deceased on her 3rd husband, Rev, Moses Breach's, death certificate in New Zealand in 1913. that I am curious about to tidy up this UK Batten family.
A relative thought there may have been a drowning at New Plymouth NZ where the Breach's lived. There is no record of any sort in the NZ Registry and unfortunately the local paper there at the time has 6 month's missing.
Edith Ellis died in May 1964 at Victoria B.C. with daughter Honor J as informant but I cannot decipher her married name - looks like 'Sinmoa' of Dawson's Creek, B. C.
Edith (and Honor) travelled several times to NZ to probably visit her half sister Yruth Breach/Nordstrum and was witness to Yruth's marriage to A. Adams in 1934 in NZ. (see NZ Site re Breach saga!). They surely must have known what happened to their mother.
Edith had a brother Charles Heath of Winnipeg d, 1946 but have not found any NZ contact with that family.
Perhaps someone out there may point me in the right direction re a descendant?

Here's hoping! ::) ::) ::) ::)

Faith Green
New Zealand

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever Happened to Elizabeth Jane Breach nee Batten/Ovenden/Heath/Breach and
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 January 09 04:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Faith,

There is a BC death registration for Honor Jessie Simmons, aged 79, in Dawson Creek in 1987 which looks like a good match.

I can check the registration to see who the informant was if you think that might help.

Have you had any luck finding them in the 1911 Canada Census - www.automatedgenealogy.com?

Regards,
Lynwen
Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever Happened to Elizabeth Jane Breach nee Batten/Ovenden/Heath/Breach and
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 January 09 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Faith,

In automatedgenealogy site you can check the 1906 Western Canada census as well.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 February 09 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lynwen and JDC

Thank you both so much for your assistance.
Yes Lynwen, that would be her and I initially thought the name could be Simmons. I would so appreciate it if you were able to check the Honor Jessie Simmons Death Registration for me when time permits. Any data off that registration would be most helpful. If a day and month are given, are there Dawson Creek  papers of that time available on line? Perhaps then I could find out about her husband/family.

I have Honor's mother Edith with her husband Griffith Ellis, daughter Christine (1) in the 1906 Census but cannot find any of them in the 1911. Edith arrived at Liverpool UK with both the daughters in June 1910  so maybe she was not back for the Census in 1911.

Grateful thanks to you both

Faith Green  :) :) :)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 February 09 16:15 GMT (UK) »
They don't seem to be in the 1916 (Manitoba/Sask/Alberta only) either. But I'm not sure how good the indexing of that is yet...

http://dawsoncreek.bclibrary.ca/
 - perhaps if you contact the library you will be able to get obituaries?

http://obits.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
search for Honor Jessie Simmons - that gives you the date of the obituary and name of the newspaper, so that you can ask for an obituary.

In the 1924 shipping list to Australia (which is where the DO comes from, right?), does it say where he was born?
Because there is a Douglas O. Ellis, mother's maiden name Heath, born in Yarmouth in Sep quarter 1914.
http://www.1911census.co.uk/ - they appear to be in Smallburgh, Norfolk, in 1911 - Griffith D, Edith H. A., Christine C. A., and Honor J. (also a Laura L Palmer in the household, if that name rings any bells).

And when was Edith's mother born? Because this may be a red herring, but an Elizabeth J. Breach aged 64 died in Lewisham in 1915...
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 February 09 16:49 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/index.php
This is a cached file, no longer available otherwise, which mentions Charles:

Caroline Layton Rogers was born on 11 Sep 1870 in Summerside, Prince Edward Island and died on 1 Feb 1954 in Ottawa, Ontario. She was married to Charles Heath in Mar 1891 in Summerside, Prince Edward Island. Charles was born on 4 Jul 1868 in Wairoa, Kaipura, New Zealand and died on 30 Sep 1946 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Charles was the son of Charles Heath, merchant of Taranaka, New Zealand, and his wife Elizabeth "Tuhiwai", a Maori princess.

Children of Caroline Layton Rogers and Charles Heath:
Gwendolyn Layton Heath .
Clendon Charles Heath was born in 1893 in Portage La Prairie, Manitoba. He died in 1916 in France.
Audrey Edith Heath

Unfortunately the only son was killed in WW1...wasn't married
 http://www.rootschat.com/links/05fz/   

ah, further down more information on the ladies:
Gwendolyn Layton Heath was born on 12 Dec 1891 in Portage La Prairie, Manitoba and died on 29 Jun 1980 in Toronto, Ontario. She was married to Francis Henry Reid in 1914. He died in 1924. They had three children. She was married to George Hay in 1946. They had no known children.

Audrey Edith Heath was born in 1895 in Portage La Prairie, Manitoba and died in 1968. She was married to Sidney Osborne Scott before 1921. He was born in 1883 and died in 1958. They had three children.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jorose and J J
Thank you both so much for the wonderful data! I do appreciate it. I really must sharpen up my research skills as Jorose, I hadn't thought of going back to England to search for them,
I found them on a shipping list to Australia also and D.O Ellis is probably Douglas Owen Ellis (gf was Owen in Wales). I'll send for that Birth.
And I hadn't even considered them in the UK 1911 Census!!  But that is the family as I found Christine C Ellis on her own returning to the UK in the 1920's from Aust/NZ as an Art Student with perm. address in the UK.

Edith Harriett Ann Heath was born on 27 Feb 1870 at Kaipara, NZ the second child of Charles Heath Snr and Elizabeth Jane (Batten - widow of Richd Ovenden).

J J ,Charles Heath Snr married Elizabeth Tuhiwai, a Maori, on 1 April 1851 at Kaipara, NZ, but he was a widower when he married E J Ovenden (nee Batten)on 3 Sept. 1867 at Auckland NZ. Their son Charles Heath Jnr,b. 4 July 1868 at Kaipara, NZ was the one who married Caroline Layton Rogers.
The Family Trees with these several errors appear on  Ancestry and I wish it could be corrected as it leaves out E J Batten/Ovenden altogether.

When Charles Heath Snr died on 20 Nov. 1869 at Kaipara, I presume his unm. sister in London, Anne Heath sent for the two children and took responsibility for their education and care, as they appear on Censuses here and there.

Anne Heath had been a Lady of the Bedchamber to Queen Adelaide and was left a legacy when she died. I think that A H  somehow knew EJ Ovenden through London Batten connections and sent her out to her bro. in NZ as a suitable? wife for her brother when widowed!!! A H left both Charles Jnr and Edith Heath sizeable legacies in her own Will and this may be why Edith m. Ellis was able to travel so much.

E J Heath ( also left a small legacy by Anne Heath) then married Rev. Moses Breach in NZ but their chn left no issue for me to follow through. If she did drown, as an elderly but sharp 96 yr old mentioned to me, there would be no record of a Death/Burial if no body was ever found. The NZ papers of that area for the time are missing.

But Edith Ellis/family (nee Heath) are found on many Shipping Lists coming to and fro NZ and she was a witness at the wedding of her half sister Breach in NZ in 1934 . So there was contact and that is why I have searched records in Canada.
So J J, I'm so pleased to get the Rogers/Heath data as some of it was new to me.

Meanwhile you have both given me new avenues to follow and for that I am so grateful.

What a tangled web they wove!! ::) ::) ::) ::)

Faith Green
New Zealand

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 22:40 GMT (UK) »
 :-X There's a pedigree resource file   http://www.familysearch.org   with the same information ( wrong mother for Charles)
However, the submitter is from Vancouver, B.C....so perhaps he might have more information on the Canadian end...and you can straighten out his N.Z. info...address is posted on the site J.J.

Forgive me for not reading that right ...he's from Vancouver, Washington, USA
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks J J  - will follow that through.

Faith Green  N  Z   :)