Author Topic: Convict Information  (Read 1397 times)

Offline HeyCoop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Convict Information
« on: Sunday 01 February 09 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello,   
I'm after some help, regarding a convict ancestor, I have information from Queensland State Library stating George GAMBRILLwas convicted in Sandwich Quarter Sessions, Kent and was transported to Australia on the "Recovery" 27 May 1837 where he subsequently died in Van Diemans Land 14 November, 1837.unfortunately it does not tell me the year of his birth, so I have been unable to say that he belongs to me.What I would like to know is can anyone tell me if records exist that would give me more information and how do I go about accessing them.
Thanking you for any help. Cheryl

Offline terra

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Convict Information
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 February 09 08:35 GMT (UK) »
His record is under the name GAMBULL

http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?detail=1&type=C&id=25499

There seems to be a problem with the website at the moment.  Normally on the page I have linked you can access images of George's original records.  There is a message to contact the administrator.  I will leave you to do that.

terra

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 February 09 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheryl

This site 9 via A2A may be able to help  

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=2006-saj&cid=0#0

Daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline ozchook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 February 09 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheryl, Don't know if this will help, but my Aust. Vital Records Index shows:
George Gamble died 24 Nov 1837, aged 47, Reg. State Tasmania, Ref No.5022
Good luck, Irene

Offline HeyCoop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 February 09 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Irene,
 That seems to confirm my suspicions, it would make George's birthdate 1790,which is what I have and I don't think I could get much closer than that, could you tell me does Australian Vital Index Record come under another listing or is it simply known as that, I would like to quote it as a source. This is great news, I've been going around in circles trying to solve this one.
Thank you once again.
Cheryl

Offline HeyCoop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 February 09 00:45 GMT (UK) »
I should say a big thank you to all who have helped, your rapid response was very much appreciated.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

One very satisfied customer,
Cheryl

Offline ozchook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 February 09 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheryl, The AVRI set of 4 CDs is only known by that name; and can not be sold in Australia. A friend in US bought me the set for about AU$10 from memory, a few years ago. The Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints (LDS) put it out, and I think you can look at them at their Family History Centres throughout Australia.
The list of centres is on their Familysearch website, but I know many Rootschatters have the AVRI, so can help with future lookups, if needed.
I had a look in my local library yesterday for Gambrill, but only came up with Geo. Gamble again. On the 'Digger' Tassie CDs, he was there again, but buried on the 24 Nov 1837, Reg HOB(art).
So glad you found your man.
Regards Irene

Offline HeyCoop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you once again Irene, you have been most helpful and it is handy to know that I can rely on so many wonderful people like yourself.
It is most appreciated, especially when I don't have the experience of others in knowing where to look next.
Thank you,
Cheryl.