Author Topic: Headstone search - Rosehill Cemetery, Montrose  (Read 12818 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Headstone search - Rosehill Cemetery, Montrose
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 February 09 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you kindly, Lynda.

Don't go to any trouble, though, as there's always another day.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 February 09 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamjar,

Just to say that I had a quick look today but to no avail.  I am going back in a few weeks so by that time you should have the details of the location.  I discovered my gt grannys grave today, and guess what........it was the same place as I located my 3 x gt grandmothers grave.....exactly the same one.....ah well at leasat I know now.  Her name is not on the headstone though, and my gt gt grandfathers brother is also in there.
Just let me know and I will get you a picky the next time I am there.

Take care,
Lynda
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 February 09 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, Lynda. I'll surely let you know if ever they reply to my email.

It's a shame your Gt Gran's name wasn't on the headstone. Maybe you could get it added.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 February 09 21:38 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking that Jamjar, but the stone seems to be quite porous and kinda delicate.  Must be the sea air I think.  There were a lot of them very worn/eroded and the facing had fallen off some and is lying at the side.

Regards,
Lynda
Horan,  Edinburgh.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 February 09 06:43 GMT (UK) »
I saw a lot of that problem in Dumfries, also. May just be the constant rain that causes it.  ;)
Jamjar

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Well, Lynda,

No luck here.  :'(

Following is the reply: Unfortunately Burial Records for Rosehill Cemetery begin in 1894 so unfortunately the interment that you are looking for predates records.

Jamjar

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamjar,

your anccester died after mine.  She died in 1856.  My Gt GRanny is buried in there.  Can you think of any other ancester who died after that date (the recording point) as they may be in there.    All round the edge of the cemetry are what I call the monied headstones.  These all relatate to the people who were well to do and had money, business.  I am just wondering if they buried people in lines as they died as that would make the search easier.  (Rosehill is very regimented and dare i say crowded....all the headstones are close together, if you know whaat I mean.....
I will be bac up soon and all the details are in my car, so if it has a headstone, I will find it.
You take care,

Lynda
Horan,  Edinburgh.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynda,

No I don't have any clues as to the burial place of others.

They'll turn up one day, I'm sure.

I do thank you for your interest.

Jamjar.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 March 09 11:59 GMT (UK) »
May just be the constant rain that causes it.  ;)

The rain isn't constant in Angus. Eastern Scotland is in fact a relatively dry part of the country. Average annual rainfall at RAF Leuchars is 28 inches. This compares with 23 inches at Greenwich, 34 inches in sunny Blackpool, 42 inches at St Mawgan in Cornwall, 32 inches in Rome (Italy) and 51 inches in Orlando (Florida, USA).

It's the type of stone. Sandstone is relatively soft compared to granite, and therefore it was easier for the stonemason to carve in, and probably cheaper too.

Both Dumfries and Angus are in the Devonian sandstone, which is sand laid down about 400 million years ago and partly held together as stone by calcite. Calcite is the commonest form of limestone, and it dissolves in water, especially if the water is acid.

QED

The moral of the tale is, if you want your descendants to be able to find your headstone, get it done in granite. It won't last for ever, because even granite will eventually erode, but it will last a lot longer.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.