Author Topic: Mary Ann Ward (nee Massey) b. .1876 in Birmingham  (Read 796 times)

Offline Tristesse

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Ward (nee Massey) b. .1876 in Birmingham
« on: Monday 02 February 09 10:14 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find out what happened to Mary Ann Ward (nee Massey) b. .1876 in Birmingham.  (Parents Thomas Massey and Harriet Sadler).

She married George Thomas Ward b. c. 1874 in Walsall, Staffordshire, in 1896 in King's Norton, Staffs.

They had 4 children:
Sidney b 1898 in Warrington, Lancashire
Walter b. 1900 in Smethwick, Staffordshire
Elsie b. 1903 in Smethwick, Staffordshire
Hilda b. 1906 in Smethwick, Staffordshire

I found George in the 1911 census, living with the children and his House Keeper – Phoebe Jane Buckerfield.  He is recorded as being married (not widower) but there is no trace of Mary Ann.

George and Phoebe had 4 children together – at least one, perhaps two were born before they married in 1914. 

Herbert b. 1912 in King's Norton, Staffs.
Ernest b. 1914 King's Norton, Staffs.
Beatrice b. 1916 King's Norton, Staffs.
Gilbert b. 1918 King's Norton, Staffs.

I cannot find a death for Mary, but based on the clue in the 1911 census and the marriage in 1914 to Phoebe, I'm searching for a death between 1911 and 1914.

All I'm getting are more questions!!  Perhaps she was in a nursing home?  Was she visiting relatives on the night of the census?  If so I can't find her.  Would she visit family without her children?  Or, did George and Phoebe have her tied up in the cellar!!!????

Can you help?

Offline susan9681

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Ward (nee Massey) b. .1876 in Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 January 10 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My great grandmother is the older sister of George, Mary Ann died in 1914, Phoebe and George married then.
Phoebe did begin as a housekeeper but love must have got the better of them lol.
regards Sue