Author Topic: CLARKE - Southolt area  (Read 10086 times)

Offline allans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Public Tree on Ancestry
    • View Profile
CLARKE - Southolt area
« on: Monday 02 February 09 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Whilst doing some 'housekeepink' on my tree database I came a cross a mistake I made. I wonder if someone can help me out. My tree (latest  version) is public on Ancestry or can  be viewed at http://www.avalon-family-history.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.html (slightly older - but has same error).
I have
Mary Clarke christened Athelington 22 Mar 1812, parents John and Mary Clarke, married Henry Stone 2 Nov 1830, St Marys Southolt

It is her parents that are the problem on 1851 and 41 Censuses.
The following are linked to my tree on Ancestry:
a) 1851 Southolt John Clarke 64, Mary Clarke 62 and John Sheppard 13
b) 1841 Southolt John Clarke 50, Mary Clarke 50 and Jacob 15

However today I found
c) 1851 Earl Stonham Mary Clarke 65, Jacob 22 which is probably the same family as b) above. This would suggest 2 families with John and Mary Clarke.

However I havent found a) above in 1841

and which is Mary's family -

anyone out there got any suggestions - would appreciate it

Allan

Tweedie, Garnett,  Smith - !!!, Fearnley,
Bennetts, Waterhouse, Horobin, Tranter

Offline allans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: CLARKE - Southolt area
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 15:58 GMT (UK) »
I have, from IGI
Jacob Clarke of John Clarke and Mary (her maiden name not given)
Birth:  04 MAY 1824, Christening:  16 MAY 1824   Southolt, Suffolk, England
Mary Clerk of John Clerk and Mary (her maiden name not given)
Christening:  22 MAR 1812   Athelington, Suffolk, England

Marriage John Clarke and Mary Vincent, Southolt, 23/1/1809
Marriage John Clarke and Mary Williams, Earl Stonham, 25/8/1818

Mary Clarke, my ancestor, has a son Jacob - names run in the family - perhaps
but which John Clarke and Mary? ???

Offline jeffa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 March 09 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Mary Clarke and Henry Stone my gggrandparents on the Stone side. I have marriage notes ,Mar y Clarke of Redlingfield. Perhaps they moved to Redlingfield for a period. I am descended from their third son William.  Henry was a shoemaker between 1844 and 1851.

Offline allans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 March 09 20:25 GMT (UK) »
nice to meet a relative
if you get anywhere sorting out which of these 2 families is the correct one
I would appreciate a heads up

Allan

Offline jeffa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 March 09 22:33 GMT (UK) »
IGI does not cover all parishes in the Suffolk area. No redlingfield entries when i last used IGI , some years back. Could  the answer be in Redlingfield parish register .

Offline allans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 08:56 GMT (UK) »
perhaps - it is certainly worth a look, redlingfield is not in the current IGI so a visit would be required - but if it is what info would there be -
It could be Mary Vincent or Mary Williams and have her parentage  - yes.

What is your source for 'Redlingfield' - is it some family documentation?
I hope so because that would be an excellent tie in, and Redlingfield is nearer to Earl Stonham than Fressingfield is to Earl Stonham.
1851 Census
John Clarke and Mary from Fressingfield
Mary Clarke, widow, from Earl Stonham

So perhaps the census entry with Mary from Earl Stonham is the correct one, she is the one with the son Jacob and as I said in an earlier post Henry Stone and Mary Clarke have a son Jacob, perhaps named after Mary's brother Jacob if so this would be Mary Williams - not Mary Vincent as I have at the moments

Without definitive documentation which can tie, without any doubt, Henry's wife Mary
to her mother either Mary Williams or Mary Vincent. wife of John Clarke we are stuck.

Offline jeffa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Allans, I have been doing this family history thing for nearly thirty years. Ten years ago a Stone from N Yorks contacted me and we swapped info. haven,t been able to raise him by post or phone for 5 years now, he was quite elderly so might have passed on.

His info was always accurate and obtained via parish register especially Southolt.

I have Henry Stone; born 22 march 1807, bapt 27 march 1807,buried 30 march 1889 all at Southolt. He married Mary Clarke of Redlingfield ,at Southolt, 2 november 1830.

I just thought that if the family were at redlingfield in 1830 they may have been there when Mary was born and baptised....and parents names might have been recorded.

Apart from the N.Yorks relative ,over the years i have only contacted one other in my main family line -Garnham- a sixth cousin, once removed!!   

regards,  jenny.

Offline allans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 13:24 GMT (UK) »
so Redlingfield comes from the Marriage entry in the Southolt register?

I am a comparative youngster at this - only been at it 20 years, 10 years professionally. (rarely get time to work on my tree - always working on someone elses)

Only picked up this problem when linking census images to tree on Ancestry.
About 12 years ago I went to Southolt and Ipswitch records office, and havent worked this line since. In the 51 census Henry Stone lives next to the Plough Inn. The pub is now closed, 12 years ago it was being converted to a house. An old lady was in her garden in what was Henry's house and she showed us through the house. A tiny 2 bedrooms and 2 rooms down stairs. She also told us how she remembered that before the second war they still only had a village pump for water.

I guess another visit to the Ipswitch records is required, check Southolt marriage for reference to Redlingfield and then Redlingfield records.

But that still would not be a sufficient paper trail if this were proof required for inheritance law.

Offline smudger-p

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 March 11 16:08 BST (UK) »
Allans - I have just come across you exchange of messages regarding the marriage of Henry Stone to Mary Clarke. Through Ancestry I had picked up that henry married a Mary Brunning but your tree with mary Clarke on it seems more likely.
Did you get any further with this?
My link to henry Stone is through his daughter Mary Ann Stone' marriage to John Cattermole and their daughter Mary Sarah marrying my great grandfather Henry Smith.

As an aside I also have traced Henry Smith's mother as Eliza Clarke - Could she be the daughter of Jacob Clarke, who was mary Clarkes brother?

so Redlingfield comes from the Marriage entry in the Southolt register?

I am a comparative youngster at this - only been at it 20 years, 10 years professionally. (rarely get time to work on my tree - always working on someone elses)

Only picked up this problem when linking census images to tree on Ancestry.
About 12 years ago I went to Southolt and Ipswitch records office, and havent worked this line since. In the 51 census Henry Stone lives next to the Plough Inn. The pub is now closed, 12 years ago it was being converted to a house. An old lady was in her garden in what was Henry's house and she showed us through the house. A tiny 2 bedrooms and 2 rooms down stairs. She also told us how she remembered that before the second war they still only had a village pump for water.

I guess another visit to the Ipswitch records is required, check Southolt marriage for reference to Redlingfield and then Redlingfield records.

But that still would not be a sufficient paper trail if this were proof required for inheritance law.
Smith, Towells, Marsh, Buckland, Boss, Cattermole