Author Topic: James McGregor/Jean Brown @ Montrose  (Read 1753 times)

Offline ysabeau

• RootsChat Senior
  • The next links in the mitochondrial DNA chain.....
    • View Profile
James McGregor/Jean Brown @ Montrose
« on: Monday 02 February 09 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi....

The above couple had five children - that I know about - @ Montrose : John (1816) + William (1819) + James (1821) + Alexander (1823) + Mary (1825-1878).....

From will of James I know he died @ Pettycur, Montrose (09/06/1839) and his widow died @ Montrose (07/06/1865), leaving all to be divided between children John, James, Alexander and Mary....

Am hoping someone can help re possible MI....

Ysabeau

Aberdeenshire : Anderson + Baxter + Bruce + Dickson + Emslie + Hendry + Hunter + Laing + Lawson + Maitland + Reid + Robb + Walker + Watt + Williams

Banffshire/Morayshire : Farquharson + Gordon + Grant + Lamb + Lawson + Stewart/Stuart

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rodger lyall

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James McGregor/Jean Brown @ Montrose
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 August 19 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hello, I know a lot about James McGregor and jean Brown from my personal  family research and hold records that may be of interest to you. However, my particular interest arose from a kirk session record of Jean Brown dated 1813 which identified David Lyall, merchant in Montrose as the father of my illegitimate great great grandfather, also named David Lyall. I identified that the two most likely candiates as his mother were Jean Brown from Kinnell and your ancestor, Jean Brown who subsequently married James McGregor. In the event, they turned out to be cousins from the Brown family which originated in Kinnellar, Aberdeenshire. If you know anything about a possible connection of your Jean Brown with David Lyall, that would be helpful. She worked for David Milne, a wigmaker at the Link
s, Montrose at the time of David’s birth. If any of this 'rings a bell’ it would be good to hear from you.
Best regards,
Rodger Lyall