Author Topic: Hearsey/Salmon family Hon East India Co  (Read 85810 times)

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
Re: Hearsey/Salmon family Hon East India Co
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 19:46 BST (UK) »
 ;D Petli I believe the father of Hyder Hearsey to be Andrew Wilson Hearsey too but what a bizarre story!

I have not come across any mention of such a tattoo, it would be fascinating to find out.

The middle name of Moorcroft is quite a common one amongst the Hearseys but as yet I have no details of a Henry Moorcroft Hearsey.

I am going to be away from the end of the week for two or three weeks but I will have a look at the article if I can find it on my return.

Many thanks for posting your findings on here, someone else may have more details.
 Crystal :D
Oakes and Rance - Cheshire
Wright, Teesdale, MacWhirter -Sussex
Wright, Wooldridge and Little - Surrey and London
Grimes - Middlesex and Surrey
Cardy - Surrey
Broyd, Hanch and Lazell - Essex
Bradshawe - Hampshire, London and East Indies
Hearsey - India (British Army), Cumberland and London

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline petli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 15 October 12 09:00 BST (UK) »
Had sight of a copy of Merle Paris Salmons birth cert.
15/06/1904. Her mother is recorded as Caroline Glover Salmon, late Burn Matthew, formerly Graham.

Offline mariede

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 04 November 12 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Crystalight, trying to find my way around this site - new to the site - the Hearsey pictures that Josh sent are actually of my family  - the children are all my aunties and one uncle with the parents being my grandfather and grandmother.  The little one of Stuart Clarence Canning Hearsey, a very sad little fellow, is actually my father. I would love to know if he has any others and even where he got them from.  Have got a lot of info re the family and gathered that your family are related down the line from my great, great, grandfather, John Bennett Hearsey so, assuming your famiy to be  related to his sister.
Been following all your info for a while and it has been interesting.
Mariede
 :D

Offline mariede

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 05 November 12 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome Mariade

I do remember thinking that I had found the link between 'my' Hearseys and yours, how amazing that the images are of your family.
Assuming your Grand Parents were Theophilus Neville Hearsey and Elspeth Evelyn Anderson. I believe Theophilus was previously married to Florence Emily ? unknown as yet and they had a child Florence Marion Hearsey born 1891 and died on 3rd October 1891 at Mussoorie Uttaranh..? then Bengal

I also believe Theophilus and Elspeths children to be:-
1.     Ruby Elspeth Harriet Hearsey Born 1st August 1901 in Madras India (or at least registered there - same for others)
2.    Dorothy Evelyn May Hearsey Born 27th April 1903 in Madras India
3.    Winifred Marguerite Helen Hearsey Born 1st Sept 1904 in Bellary Karnataka India
4.    Lilian Nancy Hearsey Born  27th October 1905 in India
5.    Duncan Andrew Neville Hearsey Born 28th November 1907 in Madras India and died in the April Quarter 1993 at Worthing West Sussex

It would be nice to know if this information is correct (please feel free to update or correct) and where your own father fits in? perhaps you could PM me or send me an email (I will send you a PM with the address) if you you not want to post details of your father here.

Yes, my connection to John Bennett Hearsey is through his sister Charlotte Maria Hearsey the family is certainly an interesting one with quite a few unsolved mysteries on my side!

Any information you have would be great  :)

All the best
Crystal :)
Cardy - Surrey

Offline petli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 07 December 12 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi again. Re Jessie E ? wife of 'a' William Hearsey Salmon. Browsing the free part of the British newspaper archive currently being uploaded on the net I found a few useful reports.
28/04/1886 - William Hearsey Salmon late of Monte Video, eldest son of Major Salmon, Willanslee, lerth ( Perth ? ) to Jessie Euphemia only daughter of the Rev Ebenezer Kennedy, Rayview,Largo,Fifeshire.

Rev Ebenezer Kennedy married 13/02/1849 to Mary eldest daughter of Archibald Bisset Esq.

Rev Ebenezer Kennedy died Largo Fifeshire 06/08/1889.

I found no report for the early demise of Jessie E and still have to consider the possibility that there were two William Hearsey Salmons ?? Still you now have a surname for Jessie :)

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Friday 07 December 12 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that - most useful.  :D

I have spent some time tonight looking into this and I think you may be right about there being two William Hearsey Salmon's.
This one married to Jessie Euphemia whose death I found 15 January 1903 along with probate 09 April 1903 certainly does not tie in with the probates of the William Hearsey Salmon and Caroline Glover Ker in Cornwall.
I will send them in a pm to you.
The plot thickens!

Crystal  :D

Cardy - Surrey

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 08 December 12 00:29 GMT (UK) »
I found by googling 'Sahib: The British Soldier in India 1750 - 1914'  this - 'Henry Moorcroft Hearsey had a Pachesi board tattooed on his stomach so that his wives could enjoy a game while he relaxed / recovered'
 However it also says that he had married a Jat lady and was the father of Hyder Hearsey. Surely it should be Andrew Willson Hearsey ? Did he have such a unique tattoo ?           

Enthralled by this thread.  Notice that Maman mentioned Sitapur.  My father inlaw taught there in 1930s and 1940s.

Sandra

Offline sante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Saturday 08 December 12 01:26 GMT (UK) »
I just noticed that Caroline couldnt have died in child birth.
Also in some family research when Harry Salmon went to Scotland in 1912, he with met Katherine (Kate) and Marian Salmon who were William Hearsey sisters and they were looking after Merle and Ronald in the new house in Newquay.  Also William Hearsey had built a cottage in Newquay in Cornwall for himself and his two young children but then died shortly after.