Author Topic: Christian Stewart, Little Dunkeld, Perth  (Read 52426 times)

Offline smcb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christian Stewart, Little Dunkeld, Perth
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

no I havent checked beyond that yet I wanted to get Christian sorted first.  i now know that Christian was 73 when she died so im thinking her birth is roughly 1814/1815

Suz
Campbell:  Lanarkshire
Gibb: Lanarkshire
Mcgregor: Perthshire
Robertson: Perthshire
Stewart:  Perthshire
Melville: Lanarkshire and Kirkcaldy
Burrell: Kinghorn and Edinburgh

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 16:10 GMT (UK) »
HI Suz

I downloaded the birth cert for son John in 1855 - see reply #21 and around there on this thread.

We think Christian's place of birth is Drumshannachan, Strathtay, Logierait.

JAP found a possible location on Streetmap- Inchmagrannachan, near Dunkeld.

We've only found two births so far for Charles and Christian - Reply #15:

o far I've only found two baptisms for children of  Charles Stewart and Christian Scrimgeour. Both Logierait  (I pass there on the A9   :))

17 Sept 1820 Catherine
12 Aug 1823 Charles

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline smcb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 16:26 GMT (UK) »
thank you gadget.....i think the inchmagrannachan one may tie in as that is where Christian's child Catherine was born.   I have been up to little dunkeld to see if there were any graves stones that I could get info from but i wasnt successful.

at least now i can maybe see where this goes with the other ones.

thanks again
suz x

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 16:46 GMT (UK) »
As you seem to be able to get to the Records Office and, possibly Edinburgh NAS, have you checked out the Kirk Sessions Minutes for Logierait and Dunkeld/Little Dunkeld?

There might be mention of them in there.

It does take a while to read through them but worth it if you find just one of two references  :)

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline smcb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Gadget

I think I shall have a wee trip to edinburgh next week and look them up.  A thousand thank you's for the work you and JAP and ddjjake have done.

Suz x

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 19:26 GMT (UK) »
I have another offering for the placename: Drumstanarchan. I found it in a book I have, and have not positively identified it on a map. It was on the Estate of Edradynate, which can be found on a map. The estate was in a detached part of Logierait Parish (shown as detached part No.2 on the 1850s OS map). That detached part was transferred to Weem Parish in 1891, following the work of the Boundary Commission set up by the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1889. The commission's main tasks were to do away with detached parts of parishes, detached parts of counties and parishes which lay across county boundaries.

The 1850s OS map can be seen at:
http://www.nls.uk/maps/os/oneinch_1st_list.html
Select sheet 55 - Blair Atholl
About midway between the centre of the map and the south-east corner, you will see a long bend in the river (River Tay). Click on the northmost point of the bend in the river until you can read the placenames. Then find the railway line parallel to the river. Pan left a couple of times until ABERFELDY BRANCH is right of centre in your view of the map. You should now see Edradynate onthe north bank of the river immediately west of there. Drumstanarchan must be close to there. The other places listed on the estate, which were all in the transferred parcel of land were Balnald, Blackhill, Knockreach, Lick and Lurgan. So it is fair to assume that Drumstanarchan was close to them all. It is described as a house rather than a farm. All these properties were owned by James Stewart Robertson of Edradynate at the time of the boundary commission's work.

The 1832 John Thomson atlas, the Perthshire map http://www.nls.uk/maps/atlas/thomson/531.html shows the same area on its north-east section. About a third of the way up the west edge of that map, you will find that same detached section of Logierait Parish with Edradynate Estate. Within that you will find Drumshandy which may be Drumstanarchan - I've no proof, but I have no better offering. Drumshandy shows on some of the other early maps (pre-Ordnance Survey).

ADP

Offline smcb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 20:48 GMT (UK) »
...thank you so much for this.  It gives me an idea of where the area is and this area seems to have significance with our family...it seems as though its all connected but it might be my wishful thinking!!

suz x

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 23:31 GMT (UK) »
ADP,

You are a star!

I thought this one might have stumped you - but no!

Brilliantly done.

I see that a search for Edradynate on Streetmap UK finds it - and Blackhill and Lurgan also appear.

I looked at the 1841 census on FreeCEN for the ROBERTSONs (owners of Edradynate) and they are there - James & Dorothie (sic) ROBERTSON.  Interestingly, in view of the names in this thread, their two female servants are a STEWART and a SCRIMGOUR.

Perhaps more interestingly, in view of the place name query, four households along from Edradynate is a place called Drumshanchan (people in it are ROBERTSONs).  Balnald, Blackhill and Lirgan (sic) also appear.

There are quite a few STEWARTs and SCRIMGOURs/SCRIMGARs in the district.

Of most interest is the following (three households from Edradynate in the other direction) - surely the father and siblings of "our" Christian (STEWART) STEWART.
1841/376 ED9 Folio 9 Page 6
Crockreach, Logierait, Perth (probably the Knockreach you mention)
STEWART
Charles 60 Wright
Catherine 20
John 20 Sawyer
All born Perthshire

Catherine's birth we saw earlier in the IGI (submitted entry):
Catherine STEUART bap 17 Sep 1820, Logierait Perth, parents Charles STEUART & Christian SCRIMGEOUR.

JAP

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 23:42 GMT (UK) »
That 1841 find is a great one, JAP.

If you recall, I suggested that a walk through the 1841 might reveal something - you started earlier  :)

Gadget

PS - the two submitted entries for Catherine and John are on SP so they're pukka  :)