Author Topic: Christian Stewart, Little Dunkeld, Perth  (Read 52438 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christian Stewart, Little Dunkeld, Perth
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Don't think it's that one - the banns entry does not support it and tha Banns shows that she married Charles Stewart in 1811 - on SP and the IGI.

Not all the records have survived so it looks as if 'our ' Christian Scrimigeour's has not survived or was not entered.

Gadget

PS - I think a read of the Kirk Sessions minutes might be the best way forward with this line. There are so many Srimigeours and Stewarts in the area and we're missing births to Charles and Christian from 1811- 1820  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Friday 27 February 09 06:06 GMT (UK) »
oh wow!
 now i see why you get excited for a 1855 certificate ..so much more info.  ... 

Suz,

Eat your heart out!

My genealogical research started in Victoria, Australia.

We had all that sort of info on death certs (statutory registration started in 1854 1 July 1853 - not sure what current certs have).  Historical certs are like Scotland 1855 with the following variations:
- hour of death was not stated
- it asked where born and how long in the Australian Colonies stating which
- it asked not only to whom married but also when and at what age
- it asked when, as well as where, buried and also asked the names of the minister of religion and witnesses of the burial

That said, they can still be misleading!

The one I'm just looking at was my Ggran.  Informant was her second husband and he made no mention of her first marriage or of the seven children of that marriage (one of whom was my Gran) - he mentioned only their own marriage and the two children of it!

JAP
Much later edit: Solely to correct starting date of Statutory Registration in Victoria.

Offline smcb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Friday 27 February 09 12:26 GMT (UK) »
oh my god JAP thats unbelievable!  I am expecting to go to Edinburgh on Wednesday so if you need a look up for anything then let me know.

Suz x
Campbell:  Lanarkshire
Gibb: Lanarkshire
Mcgregor: Perthshire
Robertson: Perthshire
Stewart:  Perthshire
Melville: Lanarkshire and Kirkcaldy
Burrell: Kinghorn and Edinburgh

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Friday 27 February 09 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Suz,

That's most kind of you.

But I think I have most of the available information - I've been battling away at this for many years!  And over the years I've had help from very kind people on earlier forums (including the long defunct ScotlandsPeople Discussion Group and even on other unrelated forums ).

However, on this thread ADP's post added much information re my own ancestors.  They initially caused me enormous puzzlement by sometimes being in Perthshire and sometimes in Stirlingshire (it transpired that they lived in Kippen and surrounding areas and obviously hadn't moved).  Now all is revealed - as ADP's explanation and those old maps show clearly.  My people hadn't moved - it was their counties and parishes which had moved!

Have fun in Edinburgh!  The only time I had the pleasure of looking at the records there I managed to follow up entirely the wrong family  :-[

All the best,

JAP
PS: Yes, the records from Victoria, Australia really are great!

Offline jaiya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 04:43 BST (UK) »
I have found a marriage on LDS for the parents of Grace/Grizel Mcintosh (John Stewart's mother),
they are John Mcintosh and Isobel Mcintosh married 16 may 1773 Little Dunkeld

Suz
Hi Suz,

I wouldn't worry too much about possible errors in death certificates - they are notoriously unreliable.

And remember, John (born 1855) probably knew only one of his grandparents - Charles STEWART - and even he died when John was only 9.

I'd be pretty confident that John's parents were Wiliam STEWART & Grizel/Grace MCINTOSH (as per reply #26).

I looked for Grace's death on SP and found it in 1855.  I usually resist the temptation but this being an 1855 cert ...

1855 Deaths in the Parish of Little Dunkeld in the County of Perth
Name:
Stewart Grace
Sex:
Female
Where Born and how long in this District:
Glenalbert, Parish of Little Dunkeld. Resided in the district where the Death occurred all her life.
Parents' Names and Occupation:
John MacIntosh, Farmer, Deceased.  Bell MacIntosh, maiden surname Macintosh, Deceased
If Married to Whom:
William Stewart, Labourer, Deceased
Issue in Order of Birth; their Names and Ages:
1. John Stewart  50 years
2. Alexander  -  48 . do
3. Donald  -  46 . do dec
4. Janet  -  44  do dec
5. William .  42 . do dec
6. Bell  -  40 . do
7. David  -  38 . do dec
8. Dorothy - 36 .   Dec
When Died:
August Twenty Seventh, 1h pm 1855
Where Died:
Glenalbert, Parish of Little Dunkeld
Cause of Death
Stroke of the body.  No medical attendant.
Where Buried
Burial Ground of Logierait as certified by Chas Fraser(?) Undertaker
Signature of Informant
(Signed) John Stewart, son
When and where registered, and Signature of Registrar
28th August 1855 at  Little Dunkeld.  (Signed) Ross Gow, Registrar

All of the above children are in the IGI (extracted or submitted) except Dorothy.
John (1805), Alexander (1807), Donald (1810), Janet (1812), William (1815), Bell (1819), David (1822).
Father is given as William/Wm. STEWART.
Mother is given as Girzel/Grizel/Grisel/Grace MCINTOSH/MC INTOSH.

JAP

Offline jaiya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 04:52 BST (UK) »
I have found a marriage on LDS for the parents of Grace/Grizel Mcintosh (John Stewart's mother),
they are John Mcintosh and Isobel Mcintosh married 16 may 1773 Little Dunkeld

Suz
Hello  The Grizell  McIntosh you mentionnis the sister of my great great great grandfather Robert McIntosh born GlenAlbert  Logeriate via dalgusie in 1782
There parets are correct as above  John McIintosh .b.1746  johns father was  William McIntosh .b.1712 & his  father is Donald Mcintosh .b.circa 1680 he married Jonet Robertson of little dunkeld  who apperas to be the daughter of John Robertson heir of GlenAlbert ... for further information & research please email me direct at.... (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline smcb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Saturday 23 October 10 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jaiya

I have sent you a pm!

Suzie
Campbell:  Lanarkshire
Gibb: Lanarkshire
Mcgregor: Perthshire
Robertson: Perthshire
Stewart:  Perthshire
Melville: Lanarkshire and Kirkcaldy
Burrell: Kinghorn and Edinburgh

Offline jaiya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Saturday 23 October 10 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzie thanks for the reply... I have a lot of information on Grizal McIntosh family & ancestors ..her brother was Robert McIntosh .b.30.1.781 at GlenAlbert
he came to Australia as the Bandmaster for Governer MacQuarrie in 1814 & his descendents are many ...I have been researching & documenting this line for a number of years..This McIntosh family of Glenalbert descend from the 2 well documented  mackintosh lines that lead back & descend from  the Earl of Fife  Shaw Mac Duff
one line is the MComie Mackintosh line & the other is the Farquarson  Mackintosh line...... Re : Grizel & Roberts  if we go back 8 generations from them we find that their 5th great grandparents we John MCComie (McIntosh ) ( & Janet Farquarson  ( McIntosh ) .
( johns brother is Robert McComie the 4th Chief of McComie Mackintosh who got killed by cattle rustlers & the his brother John becomes the 5th Chief of clan...
& Janet Farquarson McIntosh is the daughter of William Farquarson  McIntosh
who is the son of the famous Findley Mor Farquarson who was killed at the battle of Pinkie.....that Farquarson part of the family owend Balmoral Castle  If you look on the net for the web site called the CLAN OF THE CAT ..run  by the late Kennetn McIntosh ( who is my 11th cousin)...you can see a lot of history about these famlies..unfortunlety Kenneth recently passed away,& our most recent research has not bee posted as yet, I am still documenting it....if you look under the heading of Mcintosh of Australiaon on the CAT site you will see me listed as Denis Johnson (also know as Jaiya)as a Clan of the Cat  Society researcher
Suzie you can also go to another web site called the McComie Clan Gathering & ask to join ( its a private site, you can mention my name )& when you are excepted you can get to me direct by my email its listed there ... hope to hear from you soon... also re the Stewarts & Robertson connections these famlies have been internmarring for a number of generations & I have lost more info on this.............................

o

Offline Bermadoobob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Thursday 28 November 13 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Good evening all

Discovered your site last week and have been trying to get my head round the Stewart line - the reason being that my grandmother was Helen Ann Stewart b.1886 Caputh d. 1940 Dunkeld, her parents were John Stewart b.1855 Little Dunkeld and Helen Ann Laird b.1855 d. 1929.

Attached is a family photo of three Stewart generations round about the time my grandmother got married - as this is a first post I will wait and see what the response is! I have concentrated on the other lines in the family over the last twenty years as true to what someone has said in the posts Dunkeld and surrounding areas are a Stewart nightmare for those chasing their forefathers - however its now time to bite the bullet.

Hopefully I may be able to contribute to the discussion in the future!

Kind regards to all

Bermadoobob
McIntyre, Spearing, Stewart Laird, Munro