Author Topic: Cutler's Farm, Lane End  (Read 17142 times)

Offline FordPrefect

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cutler's Farm, Lane End
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 27 December 09 20:08 GMT (UK) »
I will send you a Personal Message (PM) using the facility on this site.........

Offline psellams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 30 July 10 03:16 BST (UK) »
My great great great grandfather was Joseph Eeles of Lane End (b. abt 1786 Thame, Oxfordshire). I was reading through the Cutler Farm posts and his name jumped out – very exciting.  I am wondering if you have any information on him and his family since you seem to know so much about Lane End.  I have had a struggle getting any information on him.  I have the 1841 census listing him along with his family.  He is listed as a farmer.  Even that took quite a time to find with all the spelling errors.

Martha Susannah Eeles (b. 1800 Reading, Berks.) – Wife (maiden name Willats)
Children:
John Wright Eeles (b. 1825 Berks. - probably in Hurley where Joseph and Martha were married in 1823,
Fanny Judith Eeles (b. 1838 Lane End)
Martha Susanna Eeles (b. 1840 Lane End)

I also found other children on other censuses and Family Search website:
Thomas Cozens Eeles (b. 1826 Lane End) - Attended Prospect House Academy in High Wycombe on 1841 census – I have quite a bit of info on him
Joseph Latham Eeles (b. 1828 Lane End)
Edward Willats Eeles (b. 1830 Lane End) - He is my great great grandfather - Also attended Prospect House Academy -  Have info on him
Esther Adelaide Eeles (b. 1831 Lane End)
Walter Scott Eeles (b. 1833 Lane End)
Frederick Charles Eeles (b. 1834 Lane End)
William Cox Eeles (b. 1936 Lane End)
Nathaniel William Eeles (b. 1843 Lane End)

I eventually found the 1851 census for Joseph, Martha and daughters Fanny and Martha.  They were living on London Street in Chertsey, Surrey and Joseph is listed as a fund holder.

Do you know if he actually lived at Cutler’s Farm (formerly Priest’s Farm) or just owned it and the land?  Did he sell it or still rent the land and move out of the area around 1843?  I can't find a death for him bit I know he died between 1851 and 1861.  I would be very interested to find out anything you may know about him and his family. 

Regards

Sue
Eeles of Lane End, Great Marlow, Bucks.
Ellams of Liverpool
Hayes of Newport, Monmouthshire, Wales
Pratts of Denham, Bucks.
Greenalls of Liverpool
Willats of Reading, Berkshire

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi psellams,

Welcome to Rootschat!

Thank you very much for getting in touch, I have some details of the Eeles family taken from the Lane End Parish Registers-

Baptism  10 Jan 1833   Edward Willats born 17 Jul 1829 son of Joseph & Martha Susanna EELES of Roafes Farm, Lane End, Gentleman

Baptism  10 Jan 1833   Esther Adelaide born 19 Mar 1831 daughter of Joseph & Martha Susanna EELES of Roafes Farm, Lane End, Gentleman

Baptism  10 Jan 1833  Walter Scott born 11 Nov 1832 son of Joseph & Martha Susanna EELES of Roafes Farm, Lane End, Gentleman

Baptism  31 Jul 1834  Frederic Charles born Jul son of Joseph & Martha Susanna EELES of Roafe's Farm, Lane End, Gentleman

Baptism   9 Sep 1836   William Cox born 15 Aug son of Joseph & Martha Susanna EELES of Roafe's Farm, Lane End, Gentleman

Baptism  16 Apr 1838   Fanny Judith born 15 Mar daughter of Joseph & Martha Susanna EELES of Roafe's Farm, Gentleman

Baptism  11 Mar 1840   Martha Susanna born 15 Feb daughter of Joseph & Martha Susanna EELES of Roafe's Farm, Gentleman

Baptism  26 May 1843   Nathaniel William born 2 May son of Joseph & Martha Susanna EELES of Roafe's Farm, Gentleman

There are also two mentions as Witnesses at Lane End:

Marriage 13 Aug 1844   by Licence
Job MAYO, aged fa, Bachelor of Lane End, Clerk son of Francis Mayo, Gentleman
Mary HALL, aged fa, Spinster of Waddington, Lincolnshire daughter of Robert Hall, Gentleman
Witnesses Mary Davis Anne Peers Joseph Eeles

Marriage  5 Oct 1875   by Banns
Henry HARMAN, aged fa, Widower of Lane End, Founder son of Henry Harman, Founder
Jane Rhoda MIATT, aged fa, Widow of Lane End daughter of Richard Eele, Gardener
Witnesses John Eele Elizabeth Meakes 

And unfortunately Nathaniel William died aged 7 months..

Burial    7 Dec 1843   Nathaniel William EELES aged 7m of Roafe's Farm, died 3 Dec, see baptismal register No 365

I hope this helps, if not then I have no more details, sorry

But yes the Eeles family is mentioned on the Tithe Map as occupiers, 1841.

Matt
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline psellams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information on Joseph Eeles and family.  I had some of the dates for baptisms but none of the birth dates.

You mentioned that was all the information you had on the family but I'm curious why Thomas Cozens Eeles wasn't on the list of children as he was also born  in Lane End .  I have a date of 26 October 1826 for his baptism in Lane End but no birth date.  I do have quite a lot of other information on him though.

On the Family Search website, I found the baptism of another son, Joseph Latham Eeles, baptised 7 April 1828 in Great Marlow but I haven't found anything else on him.  It is like he dropped of the face of the earth.  He isn't on the 1841 census with the rest of the family.  Is it possible he died? 

I also have another son, John Wright Eeles on the 1841 census then he vanishes.  He was born in Berkshire but I found a date of 24 February 1825 for his baptism in Great Marlow. 

Not to worry if you don't come up with anything else.  Thanks for the help anyway.  I have more information than I ever expected to find.

Sue
Eeles of Lane End, Great Marlow, Bucks.
Ellams of Liverpool
Hayes of Newport, Monmouthshire, Wales
Pratts of Denham, Bucks.
Greenalls of Liverpool
Willats of Reading, Berkshire

Offline corsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 08 November 10 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt, just scrolling through pages and was pleased to find
a link to Florence Daisy Austin.  The latter was my sister in laws Grandmother. How can I obtain more info other than census etc. Florence married a Joseph Hobbs  and their daughter Norah Venables ashes are scattered in Pipers Wood, Hyde Heath.  Interested in Village Fete , any date for 2011??

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi corsa,

Great to hear from you!

I have Florence Daisy Austin's baptism here as it happens:

12 Apr 1891
Florence Daisy
Child of William & Mary Ann AUSTIN
of Cutler's Farm, Lane End
Labourer

Also, her marriage reference, if this helps:

Marriages Dec 1910 
Austin  Florence D    Amersham  3a 1531   
Hobbs  Joseph     Amersham  3a 1531   

I can find out the date for the Village Fete nearer the time, but it's usually the second Saturday in July.

Hope this helps
Matt
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Richard2024

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 09 February 24 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,
I'm new to Rootschat - just registered because I was searching Cutler history on the web and came across your posts. I think that your great great grandfather Walter William was my grandfather Charles John's older brother. My paternal grandmother was Ruth Neal. I'm recently retired and just starting to delve into family story - looks like you are already deep in!
All best, Richard.