Author Topic: Cutler's Farm, Lane End  (Read 17124 times)

Offline laneender

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cutler's Farm, Lane End
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 February 09 11:56 GMT (UK) »
By the way - meant to ask, who was "tenemant and garden orchard and outbuildings... situated at Lane End" and meadow ground : "all those my four meadows situated at Lane End, containing by estimation seven acres and a half" actually left to? Was it his son William, wife or someone else?

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 February 09 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Thank you :) I have a wealth more information that I could send to you... it would be a bit longer and more detailed but, if it helps...

The will starts "This is the last Will and Testamen of me, William Cutler, of Lane end in the Parish of West Wycombe in the County of Buckingham, Farmer."

He leaves to his daughter Sarah "all that, my messnage or tenement with Garden Orchard and outbuildings thereunto belonging, situate[d] at Lane End aforesaid and now in my occupation".

He leaves to his daughter Elizabeth and his "good friend" George Abbott if Chepping Wycombe, "all those my four meadows situate[d] at Lane End aforesaid and now in my occupation - containing by estimation seven acres and a half, and also all that, my cottage, garden, with the arable land thereunto adjoining containing by estimation about nine acres, situate[d] at Park Lane in the Parish of West Wycombe"

^ These were to become the trustees of the will, and he remarks in his will "...immediately after my decease, make sale and absolutely dispose of my said real estates and call in and convert into money my said personal estates either by public auction or by private contract".

To his children "...the money rising from such sale and ceonversion of my said rel and personal estates respectively, I direct shall be equally divided to my children William Cutler, Elizabeth Cutler, John Cutler, Hannah Cutler, Jane Cutler, Richard Cutler and Sarah Cutler".

His daughter Elizabeth and friend George Abbott were the executrix and executor of his will, made the 8th August 1849. He died on 20 January 1853, was buried on the 23rd, and hill will proved on the 19th February 1853.

He was already a widower at the point of making his will.

I also have William Cutler's parents Wills, and the will of his brother Benjamin and sister Hannah.

William Cutler (b. 1746, d. 1788) left in his will "all that my messnage or tenemant land with their premises" to his son William (will above), and "three closes of meadow ground and premesis....containing by estimation seven acres (more or less), lying near or adjoining to the said last mentioned messnage or tenemant situate[d] in the parish and manor of West Wycombe".

He leaves more land in Beaconsfield to his son John, and to his third son Richard "Farm lands and premises... called Deerhams farm, situated in the several parishes of Penn and Chepping Wycombe". To Joseph, #4, "Blacksmiths shop, land and premises" in West Wycombe, and to Benjamin, #5, "barn, cowhouse and stable" in Great Marlow Parish.

The premesis left to his son William are presumably what he describes in his Will from 1849?

Phew, such a long time typing.

Regards,
Matt
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline laneender

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 February 09 17:12 GMT (UK) »
It is much appreciated! Sounds like it was a pretty well to do family! Would be great to have a pic! I expect it doesn't exist!

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 February 09 17:27 GMT (UK) »
No I shouldn't think so...

I hope you dont mind but have google earth searched "Cutler's, Lane End, High Wycombe" and I think I have your house... is there a close "Cutler's Farm" next door?

If so, I think I can fill in a little history on your property...
In 1843, the land and farm was owned by Mr. Joseph Eeles and the name changed between 1843-1865 to Cutler's Farm. The adjoining fields and others across the road before it was sold off, probably around the same time as the other fields in the 60's.

Matt

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 February 09 17:28 GMT (UK) »
The farm was called Priest's Farm prior to the change to Cutler's Farm.

Offline laneender

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 February 09 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Where do you get all this stuff from?!
Yes we are the house you are looking at - Cutlers Farmhouse is the white one to the left of us (there are 3 modern red brick properties in between). Assume it was given that name after the sell off and that our house is the actual farm house (could be wrong!!) Is there any information or evidence of when our house was actually built?

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 February 09 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Me and my mum went to the Centre of Buckinghamshire Studies at Aylesbury County Hall and we looked at an 1843 Tithe Map (parish map, from the Parish of Great Marlow) and it showed all the plots that were owned and rented. The house and land were nos. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

Three was the house, which is undoubtedly your house; it is a large house and the fields backing it were 4, 5, 6, and 7. No. 8 was across the road where properties are now. The house was called 'Priest's Farm' and was owned by Mr. Joseph Eeles.

The 1865 13.3" map shows the same fields, but without field 8, and the large farmhouse. The name of the estate? Cutler's Farm. It could be that Mr. William Cutler bought it and upon his death, his daughter Elizabeth and George Abbott might have renamed it in his honour.

Regards,
Matt

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 February 09 20:46 GMT (UK) »
The obituary of Reuben Cutler, taken from the Bucks Free Post, Friday May 3rd, 1912.

LANE END.
DEATH OF MR. REUBEN CUTLER.
We regret to record the death of Mr. Reuben Cutler, an old and highly respected inhabitant of this village, who passed away at his residence on Thursday afternoon, April 25th, after a long and trying illness. Deceased had been confined to his bed for about nine months, and during that time was never heard to complain or murmur, bearing his sickness with extraordinary patience. He passed peacefully away at the age of 73 years. Mr. Cutler resided at Lane End all his life, and was born in the house he died in (although he has not resided there all his life). He had been connected with the Wesleyan Church for many years, and was one of the Trustees: he was also for many years associated with the Sunday School, but owing to ill-health gave up that work several years ago. He was a regular worshipper at the Wesleyan Church, and seldom missed a service when health permitted. His quiet and kindly disposition will be remembered by everyone with whom he came in contact: he had a kind word for everyone, and if at any time it lay in his power to assist those in distress he was always willing to do so. He will be greatly missed by a large circle of friends, by whom he was much esteemed and respected. Deceased leaved 4 daughters and 4 sons to mourn their loss, for whom much sympathy is felt.
   A large number of friends and relatives attended the funeral, which took place on Wednesday afternoon last, to pay a last token of sympathy and respect to the deceased gentleman. The cortege left the house just before three o’clock. The coffin, which was polished elm, bore the inscription: -- “Reuben Cutler, died April 25th 1912; aged 73 years”. The coffin was borne to the Wesleyan Church, where t was met at the gate by the Rev. S. T. A. De La Mare of High Wycombe. The service began with a hymn, “Peace, perfect peace”; the lesson was read from Psalm xc, and the usual service was read, after which the hymn “Rock of ages” was sung. Mr. De La Mare then spoke of the deceased’s work in the Church, and of his quiet Christian life in his home and among those with whom he came in contact. At the close of his remarks, all present stood while the organist (Miss Ivy Smith) played the “Dead March” in “Saul” and as the procession left the Church, the organist played “For ever with the Lord.” The mourners then wended their way to the churchyard, where the Rev. S. T. De La Mare concluded the Burial Service, and at the close the hymn, “Jesus lover of my soul,” was sung. The beautiful floral tributes bore inscriptions as follows: -- “To my dear dad, with loving remembrance, from Jane and Albert;” “In loving memory of dear father, from his son and daughter, James and Flossie;” “In loving memory of a dear father, from his son and daughter, Charles and Ruth, and his grandchildren;” “In loving memory of my dear father, from Emmie;” “In loving remembrance of dear father, from Annie and Frank;” “In loving remembrance of dear father, from Mary and Arthur;” “In loving remembrance of our dear brother, from Brother Arthur and family;” “From Mr. and Mrs. J. Peatey, with deep sympathy;” “In loving memory of my dear grandfather from Mabel;” “With deepest sympathy, from Emma Giles.” The funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr. A. Good-child of Lane End.

Gives a fascinating insight to his life really. His daughter Jane resided at 1, Daisy Cottages.

Matt

Offline laneender

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 February 09 08:07 GMT (UK) »
What a lovely obituary. He sounds like he was a lovely man, well respected. This stuff is all so interesting...
I have checked our deeds and it seems our first info comes in at 1946 when the The Right Honourable Baron Parmoor sold the house and land to The Honourable Mrs Angela James. The Parmoor family still own a great deal of land around - wonder who they bought Cutlers off? The Honourable Mrs Angela James (daughter of eminent Liberal politician, Lord Shuttleworth) was a Suffragette and is credited with the success for the intro of diptheria immunisation (which you have probably had!). She was definitely in Lane End in 1914 (2 years after your Reuben) as she set up one of the first baby welfare clinics there. It was sold in 1968 after her death (1967) to the Newberry's. I understand somewhere along the line it has been owned by a member of Ian Fleming's family (I think I was told Aunt) - him of James Bond fame!!! But I'm not sure which of the owners that would be!