Author Topic: blacksmith - Drogheda  (Read 6006 times)

Offline seymor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
blacksmith - Drogheda
« on: Saturday 12 February 05 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Wanted information about the type of work a blacksmith would have carried out in the 1860's in Drogheda.
My GGrandfather, Patrick Moore was a blacksmith at Levin's Bridge. Drogheda in the District of Saint Mary's, Union of Drogheda in the County of Meath.
I am trying to write the family history and as I have no photos of my father's family whatsoever am looking at other areas of interest.

any photos of a blacksmith from this era would be wonderful.
Patrick re-located to Belfast in the 1870 or 1880's. Would there have been a decline in the need for blacksmith's at this time. Would someone know if the economy would have forced them to move.
many thanks

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: blacksmith - Drogheda
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 20:06 GMT (UK) »
A Happy and Peaceful New Year Seymor,

May I make a suggestion? Put the words Patrick Moore is front of blacksmith in your subject heading. You may be surprised at the difference it will make regarding the number of responses you receive.

Here is some information about the work of an Irish blacksmith. It would not have been much different in Drogheda. This forge was originally located at Lisrace townland, Magheraveeley, Newtownbutler, County Fermanagh.  It may now be seen at the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum at Cultra, Co . Down. You may also see a blacksmith's forge at The Ulster American Folkpark, Castletown, Omagh. Co. Tyrone
http://www.uftm.org.uk/collections_and_research/folk_collections/rural_buildings/lisrace_forge

I can not think of a reason for a decline in the business of a blacksmith in the 1870s - 1880s. If you had asked about the 1900s say 1930s to mid 1950s I would have said yes there was a decline.

All the Best, Christopher

Offline seymor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 March 06 04:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher
Just found your reply to my request. Many thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

Regards Seymor.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 March 07 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello seymour,

There's a picture of the interior of a blacksmith's on the Ballyhackamore Village Trust website. This is a part of Belfast close to where I used to live. I think the smith was still in business in the late 1940s to early 1950s.
I remember the smith being there as my sister and I sometimes walked or cycled to Ballyhackamore when we were children. When we first moved to Belfast from the country in 1945 hearses were still drawn by horses.

Chris