Author Topic: 1911 census Walthamstow  (Read 4687 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 census Walthamstow
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 February 09 16:01 GMT (UK) »
I suspect and will find out that John Smeaton was the father or uncle of James and George. Lucy was as you say bc1875 in London daughter of Edward Stanton and Lucy Burton. The family originated in Lincolnshire Heckington/ Pinchbeck area. Lucy Burton's sister was Ida's mother, though there was an age gap. When she died in 1901 Ida was fostered by Lucy Stanton's mother in London. Lucy Burton's mother's maiden name was also Stanton. Simple on the face a cousin marriage. Except that it wasn't. Edward was b Brighton 1843. I wanted the Smeaton end as James and Ida's daughter Vera b 1919 could still be living. I have placed a (so far unsucessful) post for her today under her married name of Biggs Buckinghamshire
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Meliora

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 February 09 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I think this is the answer.

James & George's mother was Kate, see 1901 census

Marriage
George Smeaton  =  Kate Hawkins
Sept. 1891  Lambeth 1d807

1891 census
Rg12/129  folio 145  page 41
33, College Rd  St Pancras

George Smeaton    head  age 45  occ   ?     b  Pancras
Ann  wife  age 44   b   ditto
GEORGE  son  age 27   Pianoforte finishr  b  ditto
Eliza  dau  age 20   occ ?  b   ditto
Edward   son  age 17   Errand boy  b  ditto
Rich.   son  age 14   b  ditto
James  son  age  12   b  ditto
JOHN  son   age 2   b   ditto

Could George & John, brothers, be the husbands of Lucy nee Stanton & Kate nee Hawkins. ?    

Meliora
RIP 1927-2018

This information is Crown Copyright from National Archives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 February 09 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for all your trouble. Shan't be able to get straight back to you on this. There seems to be rather a lot to work on.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 February 09 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Though this looks quite likely there are problems:1) George's wife in 1891 census is Ann, 44, not Kate who was 34 in 1901; therefore it looks likely that Ann died after the census at the end of March, and George subsequently remarried Kate in September. 2) Clearly the James who was shown aged 12 in 1891 is not the same boy as the James who was 8 years old in 1901. 3) The John Smeaton who married Lucy Stanton in 1896 cannot be the John who was 2 years old in 1891. Either this is the wrong family, which seems unlikely, or James died between 1891 census and 1893, birth of the second James (my uncle). I have a recollection from 60 years ago that my father said that James Smeaton or his family had originated in Scotland, from what I remember he was around 6feet tall, bald on top, with remaining red hair, so it does fit the Scottish type.Will keep searching.

Offline Meliora

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 February 09 10:42 GMT (UK) »
I think the time has come where you need to risk a certificate or two, at least the ones for the marriages of John Smeaton to Lucy Stanton & the one of James Smeaton to Lucy I.K. Lufffman, these will tell you the father's names & occupations.  Then you will have some thing deifnite to work on.

Meliora.
RIP 1927-2018

This information is Crown Copyright from National Archives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 February 09 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I intend to do this in the near future.