Author Topic: Milligan Death  (Read 3990 times)

Offline Annette Witherby

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Milligan Death
« on: Saturday 07 February 09 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Could someone please tell me if a death would have to be registed between 1863 and 1871. I am sure it would have been.

I have Martin MILLIGAN b 1790 who married Mary Welsh/Beattie in 1863 when he was 70 yrs. I have their marriage cert.

I have him on the 1861 census in Anwoth before his marriage but no sign of him on the 1871 census.

Mary Milligan was registered on the 1871 census as a widow in  Cross St Girthon in the name of Beattie and also at the home of her sister in law, Margrate Durham in High Street, in the name of Milligan.

No sign of Martin and I can find no note of his death anywhere.

Would anyone have an idea where he may hide?
Would appreciate any help.   Annette
Beattie & Sinclair,  Scotland
Hydes/Hides, Southan, Kay, Broughton, Stenton - Yorkshire.  Southan, NZ & USA.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Milligan Death
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 February 09 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette

There is one death showing in 1868 in Kirkcudbright, KDB for a Martin Milligan, birth year slightly earlier of 1782. Might be worth checking out.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 February 09 11:50 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth on the Igi for a Martin Milligan in 1783 Penninghame. That looks a likely fit.
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline Annette Witherby

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 February 09 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou to you both.

I will investigate further in the morning.

Regards,   Annette

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Milligan Death
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 February 09 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette

There is one death showing in 1868 in Kirkcudbright, KDB for a Martin Milligan, birth year slightly earlier of 1782. Might be worth checking out.

Monica  :)

Hmmmmmm.............

It looks like the death took place in the Union Poorhouse. Note that someone from Anwoth would near certainly have been sent to the poorhouse in Kircudbright town as there was only the one poorhouse in the county (the terms given when a number of parishes got together, the norm outside the cities, was 'Union' or 'Combination' Poorhouse) .

He's shown as 86, but then maybe he lied in 1863  ;D , or the poorhouse records were wrong.  Such records often have wrong ages, not least due to the applicant providing an inflated figure.

He's shown as the Widower of Janet McCONNER [query spelling and there's an outside chance that the 'M' might be a middle initial].

The occupation might be a match, 'Tanner' compared to 'Leather Cutter' at marriage.  Same industry at least.

But it looks like the informant is Robert Beattie, 'Son', but the letters between the 'B' and the 'ttie' are a complete mess.  As no other address is shown, that should mean that Robert was also in the poorhouse.

Robert didn't know the names of the parents of Martin, so that no cross check is possible with the 1863 marriage record details ........

Sort that little lot out !

On marriage in 1863 Martin was a Widower, so that it's conceivable that Janet McCONNER was Martin's first wife.

It's possible that there are extant poorhouse records that might help.  A check with the Dumfries & Galloway FHS would be an idea, - see http://www.dgfhs.org.uk/ .

Alternatively, try the Ewart Library in Dumfries.  There's also an Archive Centre in Dumfries.

On balance, I'd say that there's a very good chance that this is the correct record, - what sways me is the informant's surname, presumably Martin's step-son.  Use of son instead of the strictly correct stepson, or even son-in-law, was quite common.

BTW, the parents on the 1783 Pennighame birth match those on the 1863 marriage, so he was around 80 at marriage !, and would have been around 86 at death

ibi

Offline Annette Witherby

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 February 09 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I have an 1841 Census for a Milligan family and Martin's wife is Jannet and there are 6 children in Kelton.
His occupation being tanner tying in with the leather cutter on our m/C.
I think that Mary Beattie found herself left with young children when James Beattie died in 1862 - their last child born 1861, and Martin who was a widower and living in Fleet St, as was Mary, came to her aid to save the family from the poorhouse.
Mary died in 1875 aged 56.   I would not have thought Martin would have gone off to the poorhouse beforehand but then her d/c states cause of death u nknown.
I intend to sort it out.
Will be i n touch ibi.
Thankyou,   Annette