Author Topic: Ethard of Holbeach  (Read 16249 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Ethard of Holbeach
« Reply #27 on: Monday 09 February 09 20:38 GMT (UK) »
I have Letitia (my great grandmother) as the daughter of Edward Stanton, and Susannah Ethard,also the other children as you state. If I have caused you or any other reader confusion then I can only apologise.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 09 February 09 20:44 GMT (UK) »
This particular Edward Stanton was born in Brighton aged 38 according to 1881 census. He married Lucy Burton b Pinchbeck 1847

In 1861 Edward was in the Royal Navy, Boy 1st class HMS Terror at Bermuda. 1881 address 33 Clarendon Road, St. Pancras

Edward (27 Essex) and Lucy (24 Lincoln) were in Pancras RG10/205/18/28 in 1871

Births Sep 1843  
STANTON    Edward         Brighton    7   269
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 09 February 09 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Sounds very much as though I have a certificate to buy from Brighton, as soon as the weather clears up.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline chiplassie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 09 February 09 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Redroger:  If your ancestor Letitia was the daughter of Edward Stanton and Susannah Eatherds, she was born chr 1822 Heckington, and married Thomas Burton abt 1844.  Letitia would have been my Joseph Stanton's sister.

Lizzie:  The other children were Edward chr Holbeach 1819
                                                  John chr 1826 Spalding
                                                  Henry      1836  "
                                                  Jane         1837  "
  To answer your question the Edward who married Susannah Eatherds was chr 1784 Heckington.  John Stanton his brother married Elizabeth Northern 10 Dec 1795 Heckington.
    I have other details if you like.  I do know that the repetitive names can get quite cumbersome at times.  I have been lost in the Edwards more than once!!
CL
Stanton-Lincolnshire
Smith-Lincolnshire
Edwards- Lincolnshire
Selby-London
Davis-Kent
Booker- Kent
Acton-Kent
Davies-Southwark, London
Maher- London
Mills-Kent
McLean-Antrim, NI
McGookin-Antrim, NI
Moore-Antrim, NI
Watson-Armagh, NI
Hamilton-Armagh, NI
Jones-Cardiganshire
Strange-Suffolk
Bronwin-Suffolk
Shields-Lanarkshire
MacArthur-Stirlingshire
Clements-Antrim
McGuigan-Antrim

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 09 February 09 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Redrogers - No problem, the Stantons like many families at the time seemed to give their children the same names as their brothers and sisters used for their children too, I often wonder if they actually knew who their own children were.

Chipladdie - I think we have now come full circle and as GeoffE suggested originally the Edward Stanton who married Susannah was the one christened in 1784.  Just out of interest that makes you and Redroger my 1st cousins 5 times removed. ::) ::)

So it seems that I did find the right family on the 1841 census, Edward Stanton aged 55 and Susannah Stanton aged 40,  and 3 children, Joseph aged 15, Henry and Jane aged 5. (Ages were rounded up or down to multiples of 5 on the 1841 census as you probably already know).  I guess John and Edward Jnr and Lucy would have been working away at the ages of 15 and 22 and 19 respectively - or the older two could even have been married.

Do you know where Edward, Susannah and any family still at home were in 1851?

The info I have missing on the Stantons relate to John and Edward Stanton's grandparents.  (I have their parents as Edward Stanton and Mary Baxter - do you agree?).  All I can find out at the moment is that their grandfather was called John baptised in 1708 in Morton by Bourne and his grandmother was called Anne.  Do you have any info on those two people?  Then I think John Stanton (1708)'s father was called Ralph.  Any help gratefully received, but not urgent, as I'm logging off for tonight.

Lizzie

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 09 February 09 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Just out of interest that makes you and Redroger my 1st cousins 5 times removed. ::) ::)

No.  To be 5 times removed, one of you would have to be 5 generations earlier than the other(s) - so probably aged about 150 or more.  Perhaps you are 5th cousins once removed.

Read all about it http://www.genealogy.com/16_cousn.html
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline chiplassie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 09 February 09 23:20 GMT (UK) »
That was an interesting link GeoffE.  Whatever the relationship it has been an interesting day chatting!
CL :)
Stanton-Lincolnshire
Smith-Lincolnshire
Edwards- Lincolnshire
Selby-London
Davis-Kent
Booker- Kent
Acton-Kent
Davies-Southwark, London
Maher- London
Mills-Kent
McLean-Antrim, NI
McGookin-Antrim, NI
Moore-Antrim, NI
Watson-Armagh, NI
Hamilton-Armagh, NI
Jones-Cardiganshire
Strange-Suffolk
Bronwin-Suffolk
Shields-Lanarkshire
MacArthur-Stirlingshire
Clements-Antrim
McGuigan-Antrim

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Geoff - You're right, I just got my relationships in a bit of a twist.  What I meant to say was that Letitia Stanton (Redroger's ancestor) and Joseph Stanton (chipladdie's ancestor) were my 1st cousins 5 times removed - as worked out by my Legacy program.  Joseph and Letitia 6 generations removed from me, that is 1st cousin + 5 times removed.

Lizzie

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie W Agree parents of John Stanton were Edward b1741 Rippingale and Mary Baxter b 1741 Heckington (Not on register but on BTs!). From what you say the Stantons were only at Rippingale one generation after they left Morton, i.e. 1708-1741.