Author Topic: O'LEARY - Shandrum & Charleville  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Allybee1062

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
O'LEARY - Shandrum & Charleville
« on: Saturday 07 February 09 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Via the IFHF online parish records, I've finally managed to track down the Marrriage(s) of my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather, Andrew O'LEARY in Shandrum and Charleville, Cork. 

I also found the Baptism of my Gt Gt Grandfather James O'LEARY in Charleville on 24/12/1831. They were Roman Catholic.  On the Baptism record it states that James' father is Andrew O'LEARY and his mother is Ann O'CONNEL.  Sponsors were James O'CONNEL and Margaret O'LEARY.

I found the marriage of Andrew O'LEARY and Ann O'CONNEL at Charleville on 19/8/1828.

In 1840 Andrew O'LEARY and his wife Catherine nee BURK(E) emigrated to Australia with 4 children, 2 boys aged 10 and 8 and 2 girls aged 1 and 2 mths. 

I found a marriage of Andrew O'LEARY and Catherine BURK in Shandrum in 25/2/1838.  The transcription of the 2nd marriage doesn't state the status of either party however I'm assuming that Andrew is a widower and that Ann O'CONNEL has passed away between 1831 and 1838.

The LDS don't have church records for Shandrum or Charleville RC churches filmed so I believe the only other place to go will be the films at the National Library in Dublin.  I would love to find out the details of any other children that were born to Andrew and Ann and also try and find a death/burial entry for Ann.  I don't know the name of the 10 year old son who also came out to South Australia, I don't know if he died on the voyage or where he ended up.  I haven't been able to find any bdm records for a male O'Leary in South Australia who has a father named Andrew who is the right age to be the older son who emigrated.

Can anyone recommend a researcher who I could contact to look at the films in Dublin for me?  Or does anyone visit the library who may be bored with their own research and feel like a challenge!  ;)

Diocese of CLOYNE.

Charleville Marriages: Aug. 10, 1774 - Nov. 15, 1792. Film: P.5001
Marriages Nov. 23, 1794 - July 3, 1822

Baptisms May 2, 1827 - Dec. 31, 1880. Film: P.5002
Marriages June 3, 1827 - Dec. 9, 1880

Shandrum Baptisms Mar. 1, 1829 - Dec. 26, 1880. Film: P.5001

Another question is where the burial records are?  Could I try and contact the parish church directly?  Any help or suggestions on anything related to this family would be most welcome.

Cheers,
Alison
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BAKER, TILLETT, SMITH, THEOBALD, ANDREWS, NAUNTON, UNDERWOOD - Suffolk
LISH, HARMAN, HARLAND, LELLIOTT, WOOLGAR, WOOLVEN, FAIRS - Sussex
McGEE/MAGEE, LISH, WITHERS, PITMAN - London
WITHERS - London, Gloucestershire
PITMAN - London, Kent
ATTRILL, BOURNE - Isle of Wight
CADWALLADER - Wales
KNIGHT - Northamptonshire
O'LEARY - Ireland
BEGGS, BANDEAN, BROWN, SCOTT, DEWAR, RICHARDSON, RAMSAY - Scotland

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: O'LEARY - Shandrum & Charleville
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 February 09 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Send you a pm with 2 names of Dublin based researchers I've done business with.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests