Author Topic: Harrop  (Read 56723 times)

Offline harewoodhouse

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Harrop
« Reply #36 on: Friday 27 June 08 05:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there, no I dont think it is the same john thomas as I have J T marrying Bertha Morgan in  1892 if you look in the lists above collated by year of the Macclesfield-Bollington Harrops, but if you look back on page 2 you will find one family of Harrops that I found going to America from Macclesfield and it looks like they settled in the Spanish Fork area of Utah, no child called john down on the list though but the family of Harrops you are after could be connected to this lot
cooke's, harrop's, jackson's, hamer's, walkers
wragg's, brown's, pickersgill, worstencroft,cavanah's

Offline cr7rocker14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 27 June 08 16:31 BST (UK) »
 :-[
well the search continues for me....
but i will still post the infromation a recive later.

Offline harewoodhouse

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 28 June 08 04:00 BST (UK) »
where did your Harrops leave from- go to ? did they leave from Liverpool or Southhampton / Where did they go in America ? what year?

Offline cr7rocker14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 28 June 08 22:15 BST (UK) »
Ok this is what i know...
John Thomas Harrop

•   Born in Durham, England December 17 1863
•   Parents came over seas and settled in Duke center, Pennsylvania
•   Was 58 years old
•   Lived in Garfield for 35 years
•   He was a Bergen county, NJ Official and was in politics.
•   Was an contractor for Garfield NJ
•   Company was John t Harrop construction
•   Garfield address 136 Passaic st 
•   Wife Nina Mccluskey
•   Married Taylorsville Ill
•   Sister Mrs. John Stark

Hope it helps :]
~david

Offline harewoodhouse

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 28 June 08 23:40 BST (UK) »
OK just googled durham maps

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-apla-nz-google-gm&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=google%20maps

do you see how far durham is from Macclesfield...so yes I think that youre after another john thomas harrop  ;D fancy 2 lots of parents being that cruel

Offline Mumsie2131

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Councillor John Heap
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 29 June 08 09:39 BST (UK) »
SORRY

As I live in the UK I should have pointed out the distances to you - could still be part of the same families way back.

I will try to concentrate more and remember not everyone lives in the UK
Heap - Holmfirth WRY
Rhodes-Flockton WRY & NE Cheshire
Ridgway- NE Cheshire & Lancahire
Roebuck - Upperthong WRY
Wild - NECheshire
Riley - NE Cheshire & Derbyshire
Greaves - NE Cheshire & Lancashire

Offline Country Boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 19 July 08 20:59 BST (UK) »
 ???
Hi there, My name is Frank Harrop and James is a long lost relation. What is the source of this information? as I have now found out that he emmigrated to USA, arriving Boston Dec 11 1901, and his Father was Varlow. I have found this out being prompted by the information that you published expecting him to have emmigrated in 1907. Until now I have not been able to trace him. Thank you
Harrop, Farrell, Ashton, Oldfield, Rowbotham, Barlow, Crowther, Dawber, Hurst, Speakes, Iphofen.

Offline harewoodhouse

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 19 July 08 23:48 BST (UK) »
hi country boy...which one of us are you talking too? what info do you want to know where it came from as my info comes from all over and as I have just moved house most of my paperwork is packed but if it is up on this list I should be able to tell you where I found it.. ::)

Offline harewoodhouse

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 19 July 08 23:51 BST (UK) »
oh I think I have talked to you before as I have come across Varlow before, are you the one I told to go to the old bailey site, wasnt it Varlow or his son who had some clothing stolen?in london?  found it but it is varden not varlow

JAMES NIGHTINGALE was indicted for stealing, on the 21st of May , 1 gown, value 8s.; 1 petticoat, value 1s.; 2 shifts, value 2s., and 1 apron, value 6d., the goods of   Varden Wood Harrop , from the person of   George Harrop .

GEORGE HARROP . I received a bundle from my mother on the 21st of May, to take to Fetter-lane; the prisoner overtook me in Oxford-street, and asked me to take a note to Bedford-square for him - I said I was going down Oxford-street; he said it was only just round the corner, in Tottenham-court-road, and he would give me 2d. to take it - that it was to fetch a bundle to wash for his mother, whose name was Sheppard; he asked if I knew any body about where I could leave my bundle with, or, if I did not mind, he would hold it for me; we went into Bedford-square together - I gave him the bundle, and he gave me the note; I went down the area, and asked for Mrs. Thompson, who the note was directed for; there was no such person - I came up, and he was gone with the bundle; I saw him in Tottenham-court-road on the Tuesday following - I followed him to Oxford-street, and had him taken.

MARY HARROP. I am the wife of   Varden Wood Harrop - we live at Chelsea. I gave my son the bundle, containing these articles.

THOMAS PETO . I am a pawnbroker. On the 21st of May, about half-past two o'clock, the prisoner pawned all these articles with me.(Property produced and sworn to.)

The prisoner pleaded distress, and received an excellent character.

GEORGE HARROP . It was only a piece of paper that he gave me - it was not directed; he told me it was for Mrs. Thompson - he took it from his pocket.

GUILTY . Aged 17.

Strongly recommended to Mercy. - Confined 14 Days .

and another case with varden

VARDEN WOOD HARROP . I live in Tabernacle-square, about five hundred yards from the prosecutor's. On the 29th of October, I was in my shop, and heard the cry of Stop thief! I turned my head, and saw the prisoner Corderoy, running by my house - several people were pursuing him. I ran out, and took him in Willow-walk. He said it was only a fight, and asked me to let him go - I refused. A mob of about twenty men interrupted us - I secured him - the prisoner Wood was one of them. Some people came to my assistance - I kept hold of him. I am certain Wood was one of them, by his voice, dress and size. I was struck by three or four different people - I believe he was one who struck me. I took Corderoy to Walker's, and gave him in charge of Attfield.