Author Topic: Harrop  (Read 56641 times)

Offline Pembo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harrop
« Reply #54 on: Monday 09 March 09 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hey

I am searching for details on one Betty Harrop who married one of my (potential) ancestors, Richard Pemberton, at Stockport, Cheshire 1747.

There are lots of references in earlier posts in this thread to places and in one case a job that tie in with the Pemberton clan I am researching, so there must be connections somewhere. I have found that the population movements in the period I am discussing follow a general pattern of moving north in Cheshire (towards Manchester) and that, perhaps due to marriages, different families moved around together, I presume to find work in the industrialising towns. I also find a lot of to-ing and throwing as if, whilst they may marry out of area, they live or return at intervals to ancestral areas, or vica-versa.

So, what is written below is not brief and whilst primarily about the Pembertons, this is purposeful to see if others can see the connections I see and perhaps dig a bit deeper into their Harrop history to see if they can help me find this Betty.

If your Harrops in Mottram tie in with Howard’s and Ashton’s in this period, I would also be happy to hear from you!

One of my direct like ancestors James Pemberton was born at Mottram-in-Longdale in 1776, to John P and Nanny Ashton, so I am trying to see if the Richard  P who married Betty Harrop is related to this John P (ie father and son?), as I can’t find a note of John’s birth. John and Nanny were married at Mottram, (also in 1776: don’t they call that a shotgun wedding!?), but he was a farmer from Hattersley, Hyde: ie not from Motttram but Hattersley is less than a mile from and just at the top of the hill from Mottram: going south-west towards Manchester.

I can’t find any Harrop’s in Stockport that match Betty and I can’t find any Ashton’s in Mottram that match Nanny: nor any Pemberton’s in Mottram before 1776 other than  a birth in 1727: so this makes me feel that all these folks were “on the move” The Pemberton’s appear to have been moving North East from their origins just south-west of Alderley Edge at a place called Over Peover (which is about 10 miles west of Macclesfield), where they were Sheriffs of Cheshire for at least a century before their migration which in my line appears to start in the mid 1500’s as far as I can tell: probably as a result of the religious upheavals of the time, given that they appear to have been non-conformists in all accounts I can find: as soon as weddings are allowed in Methodists chapels, they are never seen in a CoE church again.   

Someone, I think it was Harewood, mentioned "Hatters" somewhere above, and another of my Pemberton's, Mathew born 1771, son of Joseph, who lived at Glossop (but census tells us was not born in Derbyshire), I think is a cousin of the James born 1776: Joseph’s father could also be the Richard who married Betty Harrop. Glossop is about 3 miles from Mottram heading south-east. The "Hatter" connection interests me as Mathew was a “Hatter”.

There is a big bunch of Pemberton’s at a place called Dukinfield, Cheshire, in the late 1700’s though there are few there at the start of the 1700’s  but all parish records for the Methodist chapel that family might have attended from 1713 to 1761 were lost in a fire in 1761, so I can’t work things forward to see if Richard. John or Joseph P came from Dukinfield. Dukinfield is about 3 miles west to north-west from Mottram and about 6 miles north-east from Stockport. But given the pattern of migration, the Dukinfield Pemberton’s could be a red herring and the move from Stockport to Mottram would then fit the general pattern from Peover to Stockport: North-East, to where, by the mid 1700’s the industrial revolution was taking shape: east and north-east of Manchester.

The mid to late 1700’s is a time of big change as the Industrial Revolution kicks in, Manchester starts to become a major trade centre and villages to the east and north-east of Manchester, like Mottram, Glossop and the Saddlewotth villages become hives of activity as the fast flowing waters flowing off the Pennine Moors provide perfect conditions for driving the water-wheels of the wool and cotton mills that kick-started the Revolution in this area. Mottram is little more than a hamlet today: it never grew like the other villages: perhaps because it has no big mill. But that it had a parish church implies that in the times I speak of it was an important centre: which is perhaps because of it’s position at a crossroad between the counties of Cheshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire and Yorkshire.

I live in this part of the UK, and I am sure Harrop Edge is the big hill to the North of Mottram, which I have walked or rather hiked over: it separates Mottram from Mossley, where the James I spoke of earlier was brought up, with a brief interlude when his father returned to Mottram to marry again (to Lucy Howard) after the death of Nanny Ashton. The connection with Mottram
is then lost as James marries a local girl at Saddleworth in 1799.

Other than the Betty Harrop marriage in Mottram and the birth in 1727 the trail of Pembertons in this area goes cold . If I could find where Betty Harrop originates and how she came to marry in Stockport, I might find were my Pemberton line came from and how they came to be in Mottram, so any help with Betty Harrop would be appreciated!

Offline harewoodhouse

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 09 March 09 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, yes I followed my Harrops from Manchester down to  Bollington Cheshire then up to New Mills Derbyshire and over to Stockport, but I believe that they originally came from Bollington to start with. It seems that they were following the work in the mills.
I had to remove all my lists from here, but I have put them up on another site
http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.harrop/143/mb.ashx
I dont know if you go there, or if you have looked through them for your Betty, also there is some good info for Harrops on
http://www.jenforum.com/harrop/
good luck with your search
cooke's, harrop's, jackson's, hamer's, walkers
wragg's, brown's, pickersgill, worstencroft,cavanah's

Offline Pembo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 09 March 09 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hey HarewoodHouse

Thanks for the links! I couldn't find the Betty, but I did find Harrops in Dukinfield at the end of the 1700's which may be of use to me.

It's interesting that your Harrop clan move up and down the area: my Pembertons seem to generally follow a more straight-forward route: or they had going back to Mottram and they appear to do coming forward from Peover: but in the 1700's they appear to come and go a lot! Mostly going, which is why I am anxious to trace Betty Harrop!

I realised it was Mummsie that had the Hatters in her clan, not you, sorry!

Do I take it you live in the Harewood (Leeds) area? I worked in Leeds earlier in my career and used to go past Harewood to get to Wetherby and used to call in to look at the gardens; and now my sister works there from time to time on a well known tv soap based at Harewood.

Offline harewoodhouse

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 00:08 GMT (UK) »
 ;D I wish I did...no I live in New Zealand...never even stepped foot in England, thats why I may say up to when it should really been down to...as they are really just names of places to me ::)
cooke's, harrop's, jackson's, hamer's, walkers
wragg's, brown's, pickersgill, worstencroft,cavanah's

Offline Mumsie2131

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Councillor John Heap
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pembo,
Yes I have Mottram hatters in my clan - I wonder if we share any ?
Heap - Holmfirth WRY
Rhodes-Flockton WRY & NE Cheshire
Ridgway- NE Cheshire & Lancahire
Roebuck - Upperthong WRY
Wild - NECheshire
Riley - NE Cheshire & Derbyshire
Greaves - NE Cheshire & Lancashire

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 15 May 09 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

I found an overseers payment book in the WYAS  a while ago with a lot of baptisms in the back of the book for Holmfirth near Huddersfield West Yorkshire (Could be workhouse!! but not positive on that!), They are not in the LDS IGI or any other (Ie:- Find my past)and only resently put on Fiche/Film.

There is~ Joseph son of John & Ann Harrop of Guller born Feb 6th 1814 bapt  March 4th 1814 (Nothing Else) no abode or occupation.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline billys lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 05 November 10 16:53 GMT (UK) »
john thomas harrop born bollington 1868 grandparents james harrop 1803-1871 and sarah gosling 1806-1845 , parents william harrop 1842-1896 and ellen arnold 1844-, brothers and sisters william 1867 (who my line connect to) james 1870, sarah ellen 1872, mary 1876, margaret 1879 and henry 1881
The above named Ellen Arnold was my great grandfathers sister.
He was John Charles Arnold and their parents were, Thomas 1810 andMartha 1808

Offline billys lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 05 November 10 17:04 GMT (UK) »
harrop, john thomas 1868 bollington Cheshire, England

^
|
|
this is my My ggg grandfather!!
:]

i live in usa!

Hello, john thomas harrop was the son of ellen harrop nee arnold. she was the sister of john charles arnold, my great grandfather.

Offline billys lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 05 November 10 17:46 GMT (UK) »
;D I wish I did...no I live in New Zealand...never even stepped foot in England, thats why I may say up to when it should really been down to...as they are really just names of places to me ::)
Just occurred to me that you live in NZ.
Ellen Arnold's nephew went to NZ but despite knowing that they had a son named Barry possibly born about 1930, I can't locate them. Barry came to the UK in 1951 for the festival of Britain, I was only 5 years old so I barely remember him.
The old address was Lower Hutt which I believe is now a major city there.
Not sure which nephew, have tried all the shipping lists.
Was it William 1867 who was your ancestor.
The Arnolds lived in Adlington Road, Bolington as did the Harrops, so did John
Charles Arnolds in- laws who were blacksmiths there.