Author Topic: COHEN sisters Evas, Kate, Maud, Ella St Pancras 1860s  (Read 3844 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: COHEN sisters Evas, Kate, Maud, Ella St Pancras 1860s
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 February 09 14:29 GMT (UK) »
That's brilliant, thanks a lot.

I haven't consulted the 1911 census much as it costs extra on my findmypast subscription. But your info is invaluable.

I will have a look at the 1india' websites and work on getting a certificate for the marriage.

I appreciate the time you have taken.

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 February 09 10:41 GMT (UK) »
I thought I would update everyone who tried to help me find this family!!!

I today received Eliza's will dated 30 Nov 1917, probate granted 18 May 1922].

It names son Percy Lionel Cohen as executor, & daughters Katie Louise Smith, Maud Mary Dale, Ella Baker, Violet Clough, Mabel Eva Owen & daughter in law Elizabeth [Lillie] Cohen as beneficiaries.  Unfortunately no addresses for any of them, so don't know if any of them were in Australia.

I didn't know of children Violet, Mabel Eva & Percy Lionel as children so almost more questions than answers. Eldest daughter Eva Eliza born 1865 is not named.

I have found a birth for Percy 1873 Q1 St Pancras 1 b 151; possible births for Mabel Edith 1875 Q1 Islington 1 b 388 & Mabel Lena E M 1877 Q4 Hackney 1 b 469; possible birth for Violet 1884 Q1 Islington 1 b 296; marriages for Percy Lionel to Elizabeth Sakin 1897 Q3 St Giles 1 b 1290, Violet to James Wallace Clough 1904 Q4 St Giles 1 b 1039 & Mabel to Francis Harry Owen 1906 Q4 Hastings 2 b 37. 

However just as before with mother ELiza & the elder daughters, I have struggled to find these previously unknown children on the 1881 & 1891 censuses.  I feel they must have been out of the country, possibly Australia [as Australian papers were mentioned in Eliza's obituary] or India [where Eliza married, & the first 2 daughters were born & Lionel the father had had a business with his brother Frederick] - perhaps there were still connections.

Anyway the search goes on.....

Josey
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 February 09 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Percy L and Lillie Cohen's address was The Grange, Beckenham, Kent when they sailed from Southampton to New York on 3 Feb 1925, returning 13 March 1925 (he was a merchant).  So it doesn't look as though they were the Australian connection. Last & future permanent residence was given as England.

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 February 09 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. Percy & Lillie were in Liscard Cheshire with a daughter Mabel E aged 2 on the 1901 census who obviously did not go on the New York trip; I have not paid to view the 1911 yet to see if there were any other children. It is the line of Ella the 3rd daughter of Lionel & Eliza who I was following & I hoped to find descendants of other siblings to see if they had further information on their mother Eliza Cohen nee Hawkins. Now I found there were 3 additional siblings my options are greater.   

For some reason Eliza has given her daughter-in-law rather than her son as beneficiary, although Percy is the executor. Perhaps he was a very successful merchant & she felt women needed the money directly or perhaps it was to treat the d-i-l as equal to her daughters?

Would like to find the fate of Eva Eliza Cohen the 1st daughter born 1865 Meerut India - so far I cannot find a death or marriage.   

Josey

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 February 09 12:56 GMT (UK) »
One possibility, as you have a "Mabel Eva" who you can only find a possibility for as "Mabel Lena", is that Eva Eliza changed her name to Mabel Eva.

You can get quite a bit off the 1911 without paying.
Violet and James Wallace Clough appear to be in Fulham in 1911, without children that I can see (unless they're
Percy Lionel seems to be in Bromley with wife Elizabeth and a daughter Katie Helena.

The birth in 1884 in Islington is wrong for Violet, though! IN 1901 I spotted a Violet Cohen aged 21 b. France, and Violet Clough on the 1911 census is also born France. I guess it's back to the overseas birth indexes to see if we can find them!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 February 09 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Mabel Eva could be Eva Eliza, but the Mabel Lena does also have initials E M, and the order of daughters in the will were Katie, Maud, Ella [so far chronological] then Violet & Mabel so might it not be strange to name the eldest daughter after the next 3?

Thanks for finding Violet - so it appears she was born in France ca 1880. This would definitely explain why the family can't be found in 1881 & 1891. I'll look at the overseas index on findmypast.

Thanks for your help.

Josey