Author Topic: What is my next move in finding DOB and place of birth for Thos and Eliz Hughes?  (Read 4723 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: What is my next move in finding DOB and place of birth for Thos and Eliz Hughes?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 February 09 17:35 GMT (UK) »
 Yes Carole , I`ve found that as well, will delete the previous,  note the spelling though Woodcock / Woolcock  ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline alanhughes

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • 4generations
    • View Profile
Re: What is my next move in finding DOB and place of birth for Thos and Eliz Hughes?
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 February 09 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Carole

What about the baptism of Peter that Paul looked up for me?

Holywell Baptism. Aug 9 1816.
Peter s/o Thos & Eliz Hughes. abode, Bagillt. Fathers Occ, Labourer.

Alan

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 February 09 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan

When Paul found that baptism - it was based on the info you gave that Peter married Mary Ann Thomas.  He looked up the marriage and found that Peters father was Thomas.

However - that marriage was incorrect as you know, and until you can establish the name of Peters father from the 1842 marriage - you cannot say that the baptism is correct

What if Peters fathers name is Samuel/John/Hugh etc etc - by following the Holywell baptism - you could go completely down the wrong path

Not that this is conclusive - but I notice that none of Peters male children are called Thomas
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 February 09 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Re the maiden name on the birth cert.  I notice that the copy is handwritten from the original entry so may be a transcription error
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline alanhughes

• RootsChat Extra
  • 4generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 February 09 18:53 GMT (UK) »
How do I go about proving that Mary was Woodcock or Woolcock?

Do I assume that it is most likely to be Woodcock because there is no marriage for a Woolcock and Peter Hughes in the right area at the right time?

Alan

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 12 February 09 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Check with wherever you got Daniels birth cert from and ask them to re-check the original record for the spelling

As I said earlier - somebody has handwritten the birth cert so may have made an error - you have to bear in mind that the original is over 150yrs old

Do I assume that it is most likely to be Woodcock because there is no marriage for a Woolcock

It is far too much of a coincidence for it not to be the correct marriage.  There is only one letter difference and when I first looked at the birth cert - my initial reaction was Woodcock.

Trust me - it is the right marriage!

Offline alanhughes

• RootsChat Extra
  • 4generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 12 February 09 19:19 GMT (UK) »
I have learnt to trust you Carole LOL
You have been a great help in putting me right, have you been doing this sort of thing long?
I will go back tomorrow and ask them to check the maiden name

Alan

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 12 February 09 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I just had a "feeling in my bones" that the 1837 marriage was the wrong one.  I was a witch in a former life!!

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 12 February 09 22:12 GMT (UK) »
On the original image on Ancestry, which is typed, it is Mary Woodcock
Holywell 27 397
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)