Author Topic: Wiltshire 1825 birth?  (Read 12714 times)

Offline DavidHWright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wiltshire 1825 birth?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 April 05 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheryle,
 Thank you so much for the reply.I am thrilled that someone did reply I have been looking for this family for 2 years!!!!
I am looking for ROBERT GUNSTONE, born abt 1827? Melksham,Wilts, his father is JOHN GUNSTONE, Occupation STONE MASON.  I am afraid thats all I have at the moment.
Thanks again Cheryle :D
Mazz.
I'm tracing my wife's g.g.grandfather William GUNSTONE, a stone mason who lived in Derry Hill, Wiltshire. He was born 1832 Melksham, Wilts. Can anyone confirm this as a brother to Robert?
Thanks
David

Offline Mazz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 April 05 14:11 BST (UK) »
:)
Hi David,
Sorry I cant help you with your query, but if you do find out that William is Roberts brother please e-mail me as I have some info on the Gunstone family.
I will try and find some info for you abt William.
Cheers,
Mazz
 :D
Davies, Walker,Gunstone,Hall,Jackson,Casey,Wilson,Scadlock,Maskell, Cowens.Coverdale,

Offline sdanubio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 May 06 07:47 BST (UK) »
Mazz, have you obtained a birth certificate for Robert Gunstone, yet?

I believe he is brother to my ancestor, John Gunstone, son of John and Sarah G. (Gale) Gunstone, who was born 12 Aug 1829 in Melksham.   I don't have info on Robert, other than his name and a birth date of 15 Jan 1825.   There were other siblings, ie. Elizabeth, Jane, Thomas, and Charles.   John, Sr, was a stone mason, and my John (Jr) was a bricklayer.   

Sarah Gale was the daughter of John Gale and his wife Betty, surname unknown to me.   She was born 1791 and was christened 25 Dec 1791 in Melksham, and died there on 9 Jun 1866.   John, Sr. died 11 May 1858. 

Susanne

Offline Mazz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 May 06 09:46 BST (UK) »
 ;D  Hello Susanne
Thank you so much for the email.
I have ROBERT GUNSTONE`S Baptism Feb 1825, parents John & Sarah
He married ISABELLA HALL  Aug 11th 1853 in Darlington, they had 4 children
I aslo have his death. I cant find anything abt Isabella after she married, but have all her family info.
If you would like more info please let me know Susanne. I would be interested to see what you have on the GUNSTONE family
I am so pleased as I have heard nothing from anyone who is connected to this family
Cheers
Mazz
 ;)
Davies, Walker,Gunstone,Hall,Jackson,Casey,Wilson,Scadlock,Maskell, Cowens.Coverdale,

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 May 06 10:13 BST (UK) »
just having a look for the siblings for JOHN & Sarah born Melksham there was 14 which led me to look at marriages and there is at least two John & Sarahs having children around the same time I am posting the marriages

GUNSTONE, John         
   to   Sarah HUNT      
   Marriage   6 Oct 1807   at   Melksham, Wiltshire, England

GUNSTONE, John         
   to   Sarah GALE      
      16 Jan 1810   at   Melksham, Wiltshire, England

audrey

Offline Mazz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 May 06 10:22 BST (UK) »
 ;D Thanks Audrey, very kind of you.
Cheers
Mazz
 ;)

Offline sdanubio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 May 06 15:14 BST (UK) »
Mazz, it's great pleasure to help someone with their "brick wall".    I refered to John Gunstone, our shared ancestor, as John, Sr, but he descended from at least two other Johns, so it gets confusing as we go back generations.

Let me give you what data I have on the other children of John and Sarah:

The 1st child, Elizabeth Kendall Gunstone was b. 23 Jul 1812 and she married William Collett 8 Oct 1840, and had two children, Sarah Maria, b. 1841 and Thomas William b. 1851.

Child 2 was Jane b. 18 Jul 1815.   Jane married Alfred Alexander Harris 9 June 1858 in Melksham.   Alfred was a butcher.    They had no children.

Child 3 was John, birth date provided earlier.   He married Eliza Dowse 9 Aug 1843 in Melksham.   They had six children, four who died in infancy.   The two who lived to adulthood were Sarah Jane b.  31 Oct 1848 and my great grandmother, Emily Louisa b. 7 Jan 1855.

Child 4 was Thomas b. 12 Feb 1822......I can't find anything on him.

Child 5 was your Robert b 12 Jan 1825.

Child 6 was Charles b. 25 Jul 1827.  Charles married Mary Ann Hasbury or Hosbray 10 Oct 1850 in Melksham.   Charles died 7 Dec 1883, and Mary Ann died in 1897.   They had two children: Mary Jane b. 1851 and John Gale b. 1853.

John Gunstone, Sr, was the son of John Gunstone, and his wife Jane (surname not known by me).   This John was born 1766 and died in 1840.   Jane died between 1841-1844...don't know her birth date or anything about her.   They had six children:  Elizabeth, our John, Samuel, Jacob, Graecian and Sarah.   

The parents of John, b. 1766 were John b. ca 1744 and wife Elizabeth (Burton) Gunstone, married 27 Oct 1765, in Melksham.   The only sibling I've found for John was James, b. about 1768 who married Susannah Tanner 2 Oct 1786 in Melksham, and had four children; William, Hester, James and Jacob.

That's as far back as I have gotten so far.

Please let me know names and dates of Robert's children, and when Robert and Isabella death dates.   I was unable to locate Robert on the 1871 census...so assumed that he died prior.....is that correct?

Susanne

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 May 06 15:32 BST (UK) »
the children of james gunstone on the BIVRI is showing 1 more child-
john bapt 18th feb 1787
william bapt 5th oct 1788
hester bapt 23rd oct 1791
james bapt 28th dec 1794
jacob bapt 4th june 1797
all baptised melksham wilts
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 May 06 15:39 BST (UK) »
child 6-
charles gunstone married mary ann hoseberry 10th oct 1850 melksham wilts.brides father hugh hoseberry and grooms father john gunstone.grooms age 23yrs and brides age 25yrs.
hope this helps?
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney