Author Topic: Marriage in or near Rochford  (Read 3126 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Marriage in or near Rochford
« on: Sunday 08 February 09 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone who can check for a marriage which may have taken place in (or near) Rochford, Essex sometime between 1810-1816. The groom was George Thomas BONGARD (born 1794 in Maidstone), and the bride was named Ann (surname unknown). Their children were all born in Maidstone, Kent starting with Mary Ann (b1816). On the census Ann Bongard's place of birth is given as Rochford so I am hoping they were married there as it was her parish.

Hope someone is able to help.

Matt

Offline geno500

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in or near Rochford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt   I do not like to see a request slipping away without a reply,looked up Bongard in Boyds and could find no marriages in the early 19th cent I also looked at Marriage Licences there were none ,not much help but it would seem they did not marry in Essex  :P
Best Regards

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Found this on Mid-Kent Marriages Index:

7 July 1816   George Bungard and Ann Offord      Boxley Parish, Hollingbourne.

Is Ann's birth place clear;  could it be Rochester, Kent?

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 14:50 GMT (UK) »

Possibly George's parents:

12 January 1790    George Bongard and  Mary Burton   Maidstone (All Saints)

Also on Mid-Kent Marriages Index.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for all those. Yep I've got the marriage of George "Bungard" and Ann Offord now (sent to me by another researcher) and yep George's parents do appear to be George Bongard and Ann Burton (although I haven't found their baptisms yet).

According to each census I've found her on Ann was born in Rochford, Essex.

Matt

Offline geno500

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt well for a request that was going nowhere it seems you have found most of what you wanted to know :P so having found out they were married in Kent do you want Ann Offords baptism at Rochford it could have only taken place at St Andrews,I never looked it up as all I had was Ann ????.
Best Regards

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt well for a request that was going nowhere it seems you have found most of what you wanted to know :P so having found out they were married in Kent do you want Ann Offords baptism at Rochford it could have only taken place at St Andrews,I never looked it up as all I had was Ann ????.
Best Regards

Hiya

If you're able to check for it that would be great. I can't find it on the IGI. Any help is welcomed.

Matt

Offline geno500

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 February 09 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt  Had a look at the Rochford records looked at the marriages,I know you have Anne's marriage in Kent but wanted to see if there were any marriages of Offords in Rochford,I found these Edmund Offord married Anne Allen 5/1/1795,Samuel Offord married Susannah Merrett 11/12/1799 Samuel Offord widower of Little Stambridge married Rebecca Barns widow by licence 30/3/1818  William Sorrell married Frances Offord 15/5/1832,I looked at the baptisms but the records are bad and faded so did not find Anne or for that matter Frances even though she would I suspect been born around 1810/1812,still from the records that we have I would suspect either Edmund or Samuel Offord is the father of Anne, and of course Samuel married again in 1818 when he was living at Little Stambridge,I will have another look at the Baptisms at Rochford but I will also look at Stambridge you never know ,as Anne got married in 1816 without a licence it would seem she was of full age so my bet would be that Edmund was her father and she was the first born or first daughter so named after mother.
Best Regards

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 February 09 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt  Had a look at the Rochford records looked at the marriages,I know you have Anne's marriage in Kent but wanted to see if there were any marriages of Offords in Rochford,I found these Edmund Offord married Anne Allen 5/1/1795,Samuel Offord married Susannah Merrett 11/12/1799 Samuel Offord widower of Little Stambridge married Rebecca Barns widow by licence 30/3/1818  William Sorrell married Frances Offord 15/5/1832,I looked at the baptisms but the records are bad and faded so did not find Anne or for that matter Frances even though she would I suspect been born around 1810/1812,still from the records that we have I would suspect either Edmund or Samuel Offord is the father of Anne, and of course Samuel married again in 1818 when he was living at Little Stambridge,I will have another look at the Baptisms at Rochford but I will also look at Stambridge you never know ,as Anne got married in 1816 without a licence it would seem she was of full age so my bet would be that Edmund was her father and she was the first born or first daughter so named after mother.
Best Regards

Thanks. Do you think Edmund and Samuel could be brothers? I have just checked on the IGI for any children of Edmund and Ann and the only one I found was a Mary Ann Offord born 1811 in Maidstone. Seeing that Ann Offord was in Maidstone when she married William Bongard (Bungard) I wonder if Edmund and Ann had moved there between 1795 and 1811 and if Mary was her younger sister.