Author Topic: Thomas LANG - 1864  (Read 9813 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas LANG - 1864
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 00:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm off now, long day tomorrow. Just last question for from me  ::) What was Thomas' religion? John and Catherine were Catholic by the look of it.

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MGD4me

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Re; What was Thomas' religion?

He was Anglican. 
Thomas Rochford LANG, born 'Thomas Richford' in Edinburgh, 16 Oct 1864. Emigrated to Canada in 1884. His mother was Catherine Regan. His father - John Richford (or, Richward) of Ireland. Maternal grand mother was Bridget Lannan.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Really my last one...John Rochford's mother (from the marriage cert.) was Catherine CONNER it would seem...maybe this goes some way with what your sister had as a possible name for Thomas' mother?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MGD4me

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Re: John Rochford's mother (from the marriage cert.) was Catherine CONNER

That would certainly explain a lot. Now, I just have to fit the pieces together in my head so that I can draw it out, that I can explain it to my sister.

You've gone above and beyond! Time for Mister Pillow !!

Norm
Thomas Rochford LANG, born 'Thomas Richford' in Edinburgh, 16 Oct 1864. Emigrated to Canada in 1884. His mother was Catherine Regan. His father - John Richford (or, Richward) of Ireland. Maternal grand mother was Bridget Lannan.

Offline MGD4me

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 12 February 09 02:30 GMT (UK) »
This is just to post my progress in the last 24 hours.

I'm continuing the research into John Richford. I downloaded a copy of the church record of his marriage to Catherine Regan. Yes, his mother is shown as Catherine Connor(s), so this definitely helps convince that this is the correct person.

In addition to finding that they married in Edinburgh on Sep 21, 1863 (St Patrick's Chapel, Roman Catholic), that John died on Sept 29, 1867 of appendicitis. And, since there was a "Mary" born of this marriage in the year following (June 2 1868), Catherine may not even known that she was pregnant at the time of John's untimely death. Since Catherine was only 17 when she married John, she would have only been about 21.  Bummer !

I am now trying to find out IF and WHEN she may have re-married, as I'm still missing the next connect to LANG. If anyone else has any leads, That would be great!

Thanks,

Norm

Offline MGD4me

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 12 February 09 03:00 GMT (UK) »
This is just to post my progress in the last 24 hours.

I'm continuing the research into John Richford. I downloaded a copy of the church record of his marriage to Catherine Regan. Yes, his mother is shown as Catherine Connor(s), so this definitely helps convince me that this is the correct person.

In addition to finding that they married in Edinburgh on Sep 21, 1863 (St Patrick's Chapel, Roman Catholic), that John died on Sept 29, 1867 of appendicitis. And, since there was a "Mary" born of this marriage in the year following (June 2 1868), Catherine may not even known that she was pregnant at the time of John's untimely death. Since Catherine was only 17 when she married John, she would have only been about 21. SinceBummer !

I am now trying to find out IF and WHEN she may have re-married, as I'm still missing the next connect to LANG. If anyone else has any leads, That would be great!

Thanks,

Norm

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 12 February 09 10:53 GMT (UK) »

In addition to finding that they married in Edinburgh on Sep 21, 1863 (St Patrick's Chapel, Roman Catholic), that John died on Sept 29, 1867 of appendicitis. And, since there was a "Mary" born of this marriage in the year following (June 2 1868), Catherine may not even known that she was pregnant at the time of John's untimely death. Since Catherine was only 17 when she married John, she would have only been about 21. SinceBummer !

Hi Norm,

There was a John Richford death in 1867 but that was a 2yo male, possibly a son, there is a death of a 35 yo ?John Richford in 1875, this I think will be Catherine Regan's husband. Also this would fit in with the entry that Monica found for the 1871 census transcribed as Roachford at 48 Blackfriars Street, just off Royal Mile.

John Roachford 32, Not Don (as transcribed, ?spl) Labourer Unemployed, b. Ireland
Catherine Roachford 24, b. Ireland
Thomas Roachford 6, b. Edinburgh
Mary Roachford 3, b. Edinburgh
James Roachford 1, b. Edinburgh

Address: 48 Blackfriars St, Canongate, Edinburgh Iron Church 

In 1881 at 45 Blackfriars St, Canongate, Edinburgh,

Catherine Rochford 30 b. Ireland
Mary Rochford 13 b. Edinburgh - Scholar
Catherine Rochford 9 b, Edinburgh - Scholar
and 2 cousins.
Patrick Lannon 18 b Ireland Gen Labourer
Edward Lannon 18 b Ireland Gen Labourer

This would prove that John died 1875.

I can see a marriage in 1886 on SP for Catherine Regan marrying William McNair in 1885.

No Catherine R*chford in 1891 census.

Tom

Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline MGD4me

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 12 February 09 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom,

Yes, it's all fitting nicely together now. Thanks for the additional information. I hadn't gotten around to researching the 1867 death of a John Richford, so that helps tremendously! It all makes perfect sense now, when I look at the 1871 census to find that 'young' John was missing from the list of children. It was then the child that died in 1867, not the father.

Catherine Regan's mother was Bridget Lannon, so the two cousins (Patrick and Edward) listed in the 1881 census further cements the puzzle pieces.

What I need to find now, is 'the Lang' in my grand father's life. He went by the name Lang when he emigrated to Canada in 1884 (age 20), and when he married in 1886, also 'adopted' the name Lang (not necessarily in the legal sense, but I don't know at this point) . His 'full name' was Thomas Joseph Rochford Lang. Somewhere along the line there was such a strong Lang influence in his life, that he "became a Lang".

If Catherine Regan did in fact marry the William McNair (1886) that you found, then this event would have occurred after my grand father set sail for Canada, and perhaps this is the reason he left home? Maybe Thomas was disappointed his mother wasn't going to marry 'the Lang' he felt so strongly connected to. The 1881 census shows a Thomas Rochford (17) 'boarding' with Patrick Regan (32), probably Catherine Regan's older brother. Was he already living away from home?

This is getting more intersting all the time!

Norm

Offline MGD4me

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 12 February 09 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Re: Marriage of Catherine Regan to Wm McNair, 1886...

I downloaded a copy of this record from SP, and this is not the same Catherine Regan, and her age is reported as being only 19 years old. "my" Catherine would have been about 40.

More as it happens...

Norm