Author Topic: Thomas LANG - 1864  (Read 9814 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas LANG - 1864
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 12 February 09 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Norm,

Well, if that is the wrong Catherine Regan/Rochford, we need to try and find her also.

Is the "Lang" mistranscription of "Lannon"?

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline MGD4me

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 12 February 09 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Tom,

I think I understand what you are thinking, I'm just trying to make sense of it.

When Catherine Regan married John Richford in 1863, the church record clearly shows her mother's name as Bridget Lannon. As well, the 1881 census show a Patrick Lannon and Edward Lannon living with Catherine Rochford and two of her children: Mary and Catherine. Thomas is absent from this houshold count, but is shown living/residing/boarding with a Patrick Regan (I'm guessing Catherine's brother, Thomas' uncle).

I'm not sure how Thomas might have 'latched on' (for lack of a better word) to the name Lannon, then. But, I'll definitely investigate this further. I'm just thinking "aloud".

Thanks again,

Norm
Thomas Rochford LANG, born 'Thomas Richford' in Edinburgh, 16 Oct 1864. Emigrated to Canada in 1884. His mother was Catherine Regan. His father - John Richford (or, Richward) of Ireland. Maternal grand mother was Bridget Lannan.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 13 February 09 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Norm and Tom  :)

I found this site which is of interest. Not connected to John and Catherine, but simply someone doing a one name study of the name Richford. Quite comprehensive on details for John and Catherine and their time in Scotland between marriage and 1881:

John Richford married Catherine Regan in 1863 at St. Patrick's Chapel, Cowgate, Edinburgh, after Banns according to the Catholic Church. Both John and Catherine resided in Blackfriars Wynd, Edinburgh. John was a mason's labourer and Catherine worked as a farm servant. Catherine originally came from Ireland, but we do not know where John came from. They had six children: Thomas, John, Mary, James, Catherine and Patrick, although three of the boys died in infancy. On John and Catherine's marriage certificate John's parents are listed as James Richward and Catherine Cannon. The two different spellings John Richford and James Richward are quite distinct on the same certificate. It looks as though John had deliberately changed his name from Richward to Richford. We can only guess the reasons why!

John died in 1875 leaving Catherine to look after her three surviving children. They were still living in Edinburgh in 1881, but curiously are all now recorded as Rochfords. The way their names were recorded probably reflects their accents and pronounciation. If Catherine still retained her Irish accent this could explain the change in spelling as Rochford is much softer than Richford and is the dominant variant of the name in Ireland.

We do not know for certain where John came from. There are two possibilities. Many Irish people migrated from Ireland to Scotland in the mid 19th century to look for work. It is possible that, like his wife Catherine, John also came from Ireland. For further information on Irish migration to Scotland see the Rochford Migration page.

There is a large cluster of Richwards listed in the 1881 census, living in Sheffield. An alternative possibity is that John came from this family and moved to Edinburgh in the 1860's.

There is no evidence to suggest any link between John, living in Edinburgh, and Thomas, living near Glasgow. Indeed their different backgrounds make this an unlikely possibility.

They also show/confirm some deaths in the family on the small family tree they have included.

www.richford.familystudy.org.uk/scottish1.htm

On a general point re the introduction of the name Lang. It may be that it was a variation on the name Lannan. It may however simply be that when Thomas left for Canada he wished for new beginnings and a new surnname was part of that. I have seen it happen a number of times when people took new surnames when they left the UK for a new life, very often not clear why or the reasons for the particular 'new' surname.

I cannot see a death for mother Catherine in Scotland with the surnnames we have for her. I do wonder if Thomas left first for Canada and mother and sisters followed after. Might be worthwhile you checking shipping manifests for them and also the Canadian censuses to see whether you can find any trace of them there.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MGD4me

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 13 February 09 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Re: On a general point re the introduction of the name Lang. It may be that it was a variation on the name Lannan. It may however simply be that when Thomas left for Canada he wished for new beginnings and a new surname was part of that. I have seen it happen a number of times when people took new surnames when they left the UK for a new life, very often not clear why or the reasons for the particular 'new' surname.

I cannot see a death for mother Catherine in Scotland with the surnames we have for her. I do wonder if Thomas left first for Canada and mother and sisters followed after. Might be worthwhile you checking shipping manifests for them and also the Canadian censuses to see whether you can find any trace of them there.

I am slowly wrapping my mind (what's left of it!) around this puzzle, and I do believe you are correct. We have no way of knowing why Thomas wasn't living at home with his mother in 1881, when his 2 cousins were. It could have been that it was more convenient for getting to work, or that there were troubles at home. He may even have lived for a time with his grand mother (a Lannan), which wouldn't have been too much of a stretch.

I will definitely pursue your suggestions, and see what I can find. It may take me a while, but I hope to uncover more details. I really appreciate all the help you've provided. I just hope my kids do too, one day !! Ha!
Thomas Rochford LANG, born 'Thomas Richford' in Edinburgh, 16 Oct 1864. Emigrated to Canada in 1884. His mother was Catherine Regan. His father - John Richford (or, Richward) of Ireland. Maternal grand mother was Bridget Lannan.

Offline MGD4me

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 13 February 09 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Re: I do wonder if Thomas left first for Canada and mother and sisters followed after. Might be worthwhile you checking shipping manifests for them and also the Canadian censuses to see whether you can find any trace of them there.

Monica - you are absolutely right!!

First, I found a Passenger List with a Catherine Rochford (no age, only 'adult') and daughter Catherine, age 13 or 15. Can't read the last digit - looks like a 3, should be a 5. They sailed aboard the 'Hibernian' from Glasgow to Quebec, arriving at the port of Quebec on 28 July 1888, with a final destination of Montreal. Looking good so far.

Then I found that daughter Catherine Rochford (20) married a John Neilson on 4 Aug 1892 in Montreal. The real deal maker here, is that the marriage cert was signed by my grand father, Thomas Lang, and his sister-in-law Georgina Rourke ! So, no question there!

And, a year later Thomas' mother Catherine Richford (widow) married Edward Connor, on 19 Oct 1893. The bride signed her name as Catherine Richford nee Regan.

What can I say?  You've been a delight to work with, and you opened up a number of doors. Thanks ever so much!!

Norm

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 14 February 09 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Well, Norm, that's a better result than I expected for you. Complete confirmation of the Rochford/Lang link I would say.

Good luck with your research  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk