Author Topic: Thomas LANG - 1864  (Read 9810 times)

Offline MGD4me

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas LANG - 1864
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Monica,

I cannot even read as fast as you type !!  I will certainly digest this.  Thanks for all your help!!

Norm
Thomas Rochford LANG, born 'Thomas Richford' in Edinburgh, 16 Oct 1864. Emigrated to Canada in 1884. His mother was Catherine Regan. His father - John Richford (or, Richward) of Ireland. Maternal grand mother was Bridget Lannan.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a list of Thomas and Annie's children in order of birth with any middle names used? Have you been able to confirm the names of Annie's parents?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MGD4me

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Re: Do you have a list of Thomas and Annie's children in order of birth with any middle names used?

Yes, I do. Annie (Rourke) and Thomas Joseph Lang were married in Rawdon, Quebec (Canada) on Oct 18 1886. I believe Thomas emigrated to Canada in 1884, and sailed aboard the 'Sardinian' at the age of 20, by himself. There is no mention of 'Hogg' in any of their children's name. However, 9 of their 11 children have either a 'Rochford' or 'Rotchford' as a middle or third name.

Re: Have you been able to confirm the names of Annie's parents?

Yes - Annie's (or, Anna) father was a James Rourke, born abt 1830 in Ireland, and mother was Ellen Mason, born June 19, 1831. James' parents were Michael Rourke (1806 - King's County, Ireland) and Ann Davis (1812, Ireland) They married in Ireland, and moved to Canada (Rawdon, Quebec) after James was born, and had10 more children in Canada. You can tell there was no television!

Ellen Mason's parents were James Mason (abt 1788, Ireland) and Mary Armstrong (abt 1809, Bonnycastle, Ireland). They married in Montreal Jul 2, 1827.

You've been a great help! Thanks ever so much.

Norm
Thomas Rochford LANG, born 'Thomas Richford' in Edinburgh, 16 Oct 1864. Emigrated to Canada in 1884. His mother was Catherine Regan. His father - John Richford (or, Richward) of Ireland. Maternal grand mother was Bridget Lannan.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 22:21 GMT (UK) »
You've done well on the Irish side Norm  ;) It's normally one great brick wall sadly (as I know to my cost  :'().

Great that you have so many names on Annie's family. Trying to see whether Thomas followed Scottish naming pattern in the order of names of his children (not always followed to the letter but mightly useful when it was!).

Sorry for all the questions  ::) Do you have the childrens' actual names and in order. It might help  :)

Offline MGD4me

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Re: Do you have the childrens' actual names and in order. It might help

Yes, they are:

Thomas Joseph Lang, abt 1887. died abt 1888
John Thomas Rotchford Lang, 1888
Ellen (Ella) Rotchford Lang, 1890
Catherine (Kate) Rotchford Lang, 1892
James Edward Rotchford Lang, 1895
Georgina Rotchford Lang, 1897  << named after Georgina Rourke, Annie's sister
Thomas Rochford Lang, 1899  << my father
Myrtle Mary Rotchford Lang, 1901
Jean Rotchford Lang, 1903
Agnes Angelina Rotchford Lang, 1904
Lyla Annie Lang, 1906

All were born in Montreal, Quebec.

Thanks again!!

Norm

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Here's an interesting entry for you (haven't figured it out yet!). The repeated use of the name Rotchford with Thomas' children has to mean something you would imagine:

John Roachford 32, Not Don (as transcribed, ?spl) Labourer Unemployed, b. Ireland
Catherine Roachford 24, b. Ireland
Thomas Roachford 6, b. Edinburgh
Mary Roachford 3, b. Edinburgh
James Roachford 1, b. Edinburgh

Address: 48 Blackfriars St, Canongate, Edinburgh Iron Church 

Need to take time and look around  ;) These children's birth entries not showing on IGI, maybe down to spelling variations. Getting late here so I'm soon to log off. Hopefully others will join in the searches. I'll keep looking  :)

Monica

Offline MGD4me

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 23:10 GMT (UK) »
You are wonderful!  What can I say...

Sleep tight!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Not going yet Norm  ;)

:D Look what I just found, 99 % sure it relates to that 1871 census entry. These look to be the births of the children for John and Catherine:

THOMAS RICHFORD  Birth: 16 OCT 1864  :o ;D Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh

and the others:

1. JOHN RICHFORD Birth: 11 APR 1866 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh
2. MARY RICHFORD   Birth: 02 JUN 1868 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh

Added: Mother showing as Catherine REGAN.

Offline MGD4me

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica...

I just need to figure out whether the 'John Lang' as noted in the 1881 Census is in fact my great grand father.

But, pursuing further the thought that his wife was Elizabeth Leggat, I found a record on the LDS FamilySearch site that shows a John Lang marrying Elizabeth Leggat on Dec 23rd, 1859, in Roxburgh. This marriage would dove-tail nicely with your other findings.

The only fact that doesn't match up well, is Thomas' DOB of 29 May 1863 vs my 16 Oct 1864, and the possible 'Hogg' middle name, for when he later married Annie the church record shows 'Thomas Joseph'. This is still puzzling me. Was Thomas trying to 'run away' from something, or are these really two different persons?  Plus, Thomas stated he was from Edinburgh when he married. What WAS he runing away from? (Rhetorical question).