Author Topic: COMPLETED: Cartwrights of Marnham  (Read 4128 times)

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
COMPLETED: Cartwrights of Marnham
« on: Monday 09 February 09 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Checking for Cartwrights of Marnham, Notts.
Copying this post here from the London board.

Does anyone have a family connection with James Lock(e) Cartwright?
He had some dealings with my ggggfr in 1797 and there was court case involved, of which I have details.
He seems to have been in the horse business, and tried to buy Fozard's riding stables in Park Lane.
He later described himself as a 'cabriolet proprietor'.

I would be interested to hear from any descendants, or from anyone who has more information.

A Google book search shows he was from Marnham, Notts, and married a daughter of Isaac Strombom, a merchant from the Cape of Good Hope.
He had a son: Cartwright, Henry Edmund, LL.B who married Marjorie Watson.
There are marriages at SGHS for his daughters Eliza (m. Thomas Bagg, Esq) and Catherine (m. Edward Greene, Esqr, of St Ives, Hunts).
I haven't found how he fits into the Marnham Cartwrights- e.g., Edmund, inventor of the power loom.
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"

Offline ispbs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cartwrights of Marnham
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 00:26 GMT (UK) »
James Locke Cartwright was the son of Thomas Cartwright (1720 - 1787).

I have the son of James Locke as being Henry Edward (1822 - 1899) and his son being Ernest Henry Cartwright (1865 - 1953).

Peter Strombom

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your reply.

Do you happen to know who Thomas Cartwright's parents or siblings were?
And, as you have presumably been researching the Stromboms, do you know the name of Isaac's daughter, who married James.
I guess this is your connection with the Cartwrights.

Best wishes,
Charles

Offline ispbs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, but I do not know anything more about THomas Cartwright.

James Locke married Marianna Elizabeth Strombom.  She was born in 1795 and died in 1881.  The marriage, I assume took place in Cape Town.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Peter,

Many thanks!

Much appreciated.

Charles

Offline toscar5

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED: Cartwrights of Marnham
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 April 13 03:34 BST (UK) »
James Lock Cartwright was the 6th. child (bap.16.11.1767 St. George Hanover Sq.) of Thomas Cartwright, military tailor of Lr. Grosvenor St. James Lock, after whom JLC was named, was a hatter (business currently extant) and trustee of Thomas's will. JLC married Marianna Eliza Strombom at St. Botolph Bishopsgate 6.1.1818. He went to S. Africa in March 1819 with wife and one child. He seems to have returned, as his son Henry Edmund was baptised 18.8.1822 at St. Mary Newington. Henry E.C. was in Co. Londonderry 1870-ca1880, and was made a Freeman of the Salters' Company for his work on their estates there in 1880.

Catherine Cartwright who married Edward Greene of St. Ives at St. George's Hanover Sq. 8.7.1794 was actually the sister (bapt. 5.8.1765 SGHS) of James Lock Cartwright.

Apart from HEC saying in his admission papers for the Salters' Co. that his father was "late of Marnham Park", I have so far, sadly(!) been unable to find any connexion with the Notts. Cartwrights and Edmund of the power loom, although I do not know where Thomas C. came from before he pops up in Westminster rate books in 1769, and the name Edmund appears several times in the family.

JLC had a daughter Marianna Emily bap. 20.12.1830 at Holborn St. Andrew. On 29.11.1853 she married Tobias Solomon at St. Martin in the Fields, but I can find no ref. to either after that.