Author Topic: MARSKE (John Hearse)  (Read 8973 times)

Offline G Hearse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MARSKE (John Hearse)
« on: Monday 09 February 09 20:18 GMT (UK) »
I have a relative in 1901 Census living at Burton House (Marske High Street) a few doors away from the Miners Hospital. Is this the High street that runs down to the sea, or the High Street that runs through the town towards the station. And is the miners hosptal still standing as in 1901 it looks like a private residence?
Hearse..Simpson...Thomas...Ruse...Watson....Bennett

Offline Nutty1966

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Annie Isabelle Bollands nee Rice
    • View Profile
Re: MARSKE (John Hearse)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 February 09 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The High Street starts near the Zetland pub, next to the railway station and runs down towards the Ship Inn, then the road continues around a sharpish bend towards the sea and the slipway, near where all the fisherman's boats are kept.  Ah many a happy childhood day spent on that beach.

There is a couple of books written about old Marske families, the first one is called Sand in my Shoes, author is a man called Charlton, the second one he wrote is called More Sand in my Shoes.

I am not sure, but I think the miner's hospital is where the hairdressers - Contemporary, is now situated.  If you ever go to Marske, you should visit the little museum on the hair street, called Winkie's Castle, originally started by Jack Anderson, the local cobbler, the stuff in there is unbelievable.

I grew up in Marske, and still only live a couple of miles away from it,

Jane
LEICESTERSHIRE & MIDDLESBROUGH - BOLLANDS, GORE,
LINCOLNSHIRE - BAKEWELL, MARRIOTT
MONAGHAN & CRAMLINGTON - RICE
LAZENBY - HANSOM, HARRISON, NODDINGS, EASBY
BARNBY DUN - HARVEY, BLANCHARD
DANBY & WHITBY  - JEFFELS
LIVERPOOL - GANDER
SKELTON & ESTON - SEATON
BEDALE & MIDDLESBROUGH - STEPHENSON
BROUGHTON - HARRISON
MIDDLESBROUGH - WARD,FOSTER
PINCHINTHORPE -  POSTGATE
BILSDALE- BOYES

Cenusu informations is from crown copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uK

Offline Sue F

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 August 09 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

Sorry to but in but I saw your post about living in Marske and wondered if you could help me?

I have been puzzling about my 2xg grandmother Eliza Aubin and her siblings who were all born in Gedney, Lincolnshire but ended up in Marske. Eliza was living in Marske when she married Robert Moody of Northumberland, in Guisborough in 1876. It appears that some of Eliza's brothers moved up to Marske to be ironstone miners. I have found Timothy Aubin ironstone miner age 25 living at 148 Spout Wynd in 1881 and his brother Dring William marrying in Guisborough in 1873. My guess is he was a miner too.

I have been unable to trace either Timothy or Dring on the 1871 census  :'( (Eliza was in service in Wandsworth in 1871 working for a family whose head worked for the East India Co. I assume she maybe moved to Marske with the family as its a hack of a way from London!) In desperation  I thought I would start looking page by page at the 1871 census for Marske. However I can't see which district would cover Spout Wynd. So..
could you possibly give me any indication of where in the Marske area Spout Wynd was? And do you know if it existed in 1871?  ???

Thanks in anticipation
Sue

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 August 09 12:03 BST (UK) »
I have been unable to trace either Timothy or Dring on the 1871 census 
Hello

Holbeach RG10/3329 Folio 9 Page 11

A Timothy Aubin, aged 15, from Gedney Drove End, is a Farm Labourer who is lodging in the household of a family called Hilton at Lutton Marsh.

Guisborough RG10/4851 Folio 10 Page 13

A William Auben, aged 23, from Lincolnshire, is an Ironstone Miner boarding in the household of a family called Marshall at Seymour Hill Terr, Lofthouse. This might be Dring using just his middle name ?

posteria
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sue F

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 August 09 13:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you Posteria. Don't know why my ancestry search hadn't picked William up. There is no William Aubin in Wisbech births for c 1846/8 so I assume this William must be Dring William - perhaps he got fed up of people saying Dring's a strange name or the enumerator misheard! I must just have missed Timothy.

I would still be interested to hear about Spout Wynd if Jane sees this post.

Sue

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 August 09 13:41 BST (UK) »
I am sure that Jane will know all about it if she does return and read this topic but she has not been online since 11th July 2009.

In the meantime, it does appear on the 1871 census beginning at RG10/4852 Folio 33 Page 11 and it ends at page 18. It falls within Enumeration District 2 and it seems to be in the vicinity of High Street, Church Street and Spain Hill which all still appear on current street maps of Marske. Also on the current street map, in the same vicinity, is “The Wynd” and I wonder if this is the same place with a slight rename ?

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=463558&y=522366&z=110&sv=spain+hill&st=6&tl=Map+of+Spain+Hill,+Marske-By-The-Sea,+Redcar,+Cleveland,+TS11&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

posteria
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sue F

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 August 09 19:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I will have a 'look' around

Sue

Offline Nutty1966

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Annie Isabelle Bollands nee Rice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 August 09 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi - sorry for not been around much lately, it's the boys cricket season ;D

The Wynd still exits in Marske, it is the main square where most of the shops are located, it is set adjacent to the main High Street, which runs from the Ship Inn to the The Zetland Pub, near the railway station. 

The High Street has many little streets of it, which were the main places of residdence and still to this today, but Marske has grown much bigger.

I will have a look at the census for you for 1871 and if necessary I can have a ramble around the graveyard, which has been closed for some time

Jane
LEICESTERSHIRE & MIDDLESBROUGH - BOLLANDS, GORE,
LINCOLNSHIRE - BAKEWELL, MARRIOTT
MONAGHAN & CRAMLINGTON - RICE
LAZENBY - HANSOM, HARRISON, NODDINGS, EASBY
BARNBY DUN - HARVEY, BLANCHARD
DANBY & WHITBY  - JEFFELS
LIVERPOOL - GANDER
SKELTON & ESTON - SEATON
BEDALE & MIDDLESBROUGH - STEPHENSON
BROUGHTON - HARRISON
MIDDLESBROUGH - WARD,FOSTER
PINCHINTHORPE -  POSTGATE
BILSDALE- BOYES

Cenusu informations is from crown copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uK

Offline suefox

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 August 09 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane, my other half has been glued to the Ashes!

I would be grateful for any info you might come up with. As I mentioned before I guess they all moved from Lincolnshire to Marske for work so I'm trying to picture how different life would have been for them, and also to find other siblings. I guess some may be buried in Marske.

Incidentally on the way back from a relly hunting trip to Berwick last year we called at Guisborough as my g g grandparents were married in the Register Office there in 1872. Sadly the RO now is what looks like a 60s style building so I was disappointed but it was great to walk down the main street and imagine them doing the same!
Thanks again for your help.
Sue :)